O-Ring in Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatStraw

Reaction score
So I put my immersion chiller into the boil for the final 10 minutes and when I went to go hook up the hose I noticed that the black rubber O-Ring on the fitting was missing. I thought it had just fallen off so no big deal I had a fitting on the other end I was able to use.

When I was cleaning my keggle I found the O-Ring sitting at the bottom. I had fallen INTO the boil for about 10 minutes.

Is there anything I should be worried about with this? O-Ring didn't look burnt or melted at all when I removed it.

You shouldn't have any problems. Most o-rings should be temp rated high enough that a boil isn't going to do anything to them. And since it fell in while boiling you don't really need to worry about sanitation issues either. You should be fine.

Thanks Gduck. Just wanted to make sure the rubber (since it wasn't silicone and was heated to a high temp) wasn't toxic or anything!

Back