O.G. Not as expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongEZBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just brewed a SMaSH extract with Muntons Amber DME. I used a pound eight ounces to one and a half gallons of water figuring that should give me 1.063 for 1 gallon after boil off. I had to top off with three bottles of water, sixteen ounces each. When I took the hydrometer reading, it was 1.034. Not sure what is going on there. Even with temperature compensation I should not have been that low.

Any ideas as to what may have happened?

The sample you pulled wasn't fully mixed. That is a common thing with extract brewing and partial boils. The water you use to top up is hard to mix with the wort you boiled, so you get some stratification. Since you added a measured amount of sugar to a known amount of water, you can calculate your OG and know it is correct even if your hydrometer isn't giving a correct reading.

DOH!

Makes perfect sense a I did not shake (or stir) before pulling the sample. Note will go into my brew log to do that next time.

Thanks, I feel better now.

DOH!

Makes perfect sense a I did not shake (or stir) before pulling the sample. Note will go into my brew log to do that next time.

Thanks, I feel better now.

Just know that even if you stir or mix a lot, it might not mix properly. It can be quite hard to mix freak water with wort... Don't worry though, it'll get mixed up during fermentation.

Also, if you hit your volume, generally your OG will be right on, when using extract.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You started your boil with 1.5 gallons to end with one gallon post boil, but still topped off with three pints? That is a seven pint boil off if you ended with one gallon in the fermentor. Your boils might not need to be quite so vigorous.

Yeah, I will need to get the hang of this burner. This is my first batch since about 2001 and it was all stovetop brewing back then. I guess I got a little carried away with watching the roiling. On the bright side, adding the cold water did help with cooling off.

Latest posts

Back