Nyquil- I'm now a fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been sick for a while, so I finally resorted to commercial symptom relief aids. I had Bob pick me up some Nyquil on Monday.

I've taken it a total of twice, and slept around the clock the first time. The second time I only slept 11 hours straight. I was still very sick yesterday, and slept all day but today I'm moving around and sitting up pretty darn well without coughing out a lung.

I'm a fan.

I hated the stuff when I was a kid, but now when I get sick I don't hesitate.

Glad to hear your on the mend Yoop, I very rarely get any sort of bug, let alone one that gets me down like you have described. But I learned the same lesson a few years back. I don't know what they put in that stuff . But on the rare occasion I need it, I wait until I get to the spot where I plan to spend the next 10+ hrs. take a shot and I only have about 15 minutes until the coma sets in. Reminds me of this classic Chris Farley SNL skit.

http://www.hulu.com/collections/12/3534

Big N, little y, Big F#ckin' Q!

You gotta sleep to get better.

Denis Leary

http://endor.org/leary/

I don't do illegal drugs anymore. Now I just do the legal drugs. Tonight I'm on NyQuil and Sudafed. Let me tell you something, folks. Forget about cocaine and heroine. All you need is NyQuil and Sudafed. I'm telling you right now, I took the NyQuil five years ago. I just came out of the coma tonight before the ****ing show! Claus Vanbulo was standing over my bed going, "Denis, get up! There's something the matter with Sunny! Hurry up!" I love NyQuil. Man, I love it! I love it. I love it. I love it. It's the best thing **** ever invented. Isn't it, huh? I love the name alone. NyQuil - Capitol N, small Y, big ****ing Q! I love that ****ing Q, don't you!? What a great advertising idea! Put a huge ****ing Q on the box. They'll get high and stare at it. "The Q is talking to me! The Q is talking to me!"

I love NyQuil, man. Because NyQuil has never changed, man. It's never changed. All the other medicines are doing that inner-child thing. "we know that there's a small child inside of you, so now we have grape and cherry and orange flavor." Not NyQuil! They still have the original green death ****ing flavor! You know why!? Because it doesn't matter what it tastes like! It's so strong you go, "*wheeze* Hey this stuff really tastes like.." Bang! Yer in the coma already! "What happened?" "He said tastes like and he went right into the coma, it was unbelievable!" We have reached the point where the over the counter drugs are actually stronger than anything you can buy on the street. It says on the back of the NyQuil box, on the back of the box it says, "May cause drowsiness." It should say, "Don't make any ****ing plans! Kiss your family and friends goodbye. Say hello to Klaus!" NyQuil, NyQuil, NyQuil, we love you! You giant ****ing Q!

I love the giant fvcking Q!

I was taking it when I couldn't sleep, but switched to Melatonin a while back. They work great, but the nQ is awesome when it comes to fixin' up a sickness.

I love the giant fvcking Q!

I was taking it when I couldn't sleep, but switched to Melatonin a while back. They work great, but the nQ is awesome when it comes to fixin' up a sickness.

Does the Melatonin give you really weird dreams? My neighbor and I both have really wild dreams while taking it.

Its weird that you mention the dreams. I have taken nyquil 3 times in my life and have had horrible hallucinations everytime. Spiders were covering my body! I definately have an adverse reaction to nyquil. Not sure what melatonin would do to me.

"Remember, not all drug are bad! Some of them are GREAT!"

I am okay with NyQuil. Not too fond of the oily sharts that come the morning after.

TMI?

"Remember, not all drug are bad! Some of them are GREAT!"

I am okay with NyQuil. Not too fond of the oily sharts that come the morning after.

TMI?

Thankfully, that hasn't happened to me. But you should have told me on Monday that it was a possibility. Thanks for bringing it up now.

I seriously feel so much better- I'd say I'm at least 50% better already.

You really do not want that stuff to taste good. Child-proof caps aren't and a bottle could turn your kid into a zombie prune.

You really do not want that stuff to taste good. Child-proof caps aren't and a bottle could turn your kid into a zombie prune.

Plus, in our generation medicine was supposed to taste bad! Remember grandma giving you cod liver oil whenever you were sick? OMG- grandma woud say, "Honey, are you sick?" and you'd have to get up off of your deathbed and say "No grandma, I feel fine!" to avoid the cod liver oil. Or worse, have a "belly ache" and get Kaopectate.

In my day, we didn't have that nice grape flavored stuff, or the bubblegum stuff. Oh, no. We had to suffer if we had the nerve to get sick. Medicine was your punishment for being sick. And it tasted like it!

That's another reason I love NyQuil. It tastes like you deserve it!

Plus, in our generation medicine was supposed to taste bad! Remember grandma giving you cod liver oil whenever you were sick? OMG- grandma woud say, "Honey, are you sick?" and you'd have to get up off of your deathbed and say "No grandma, I feel fine!" to avoid the cod liver oil. Or worse, have a "belly ache" and get Kaopectate.

In my day, we didn't have that nice grape flavored stuff, or the bubblegum stuff. Oh, no. We had to suffer if we had the nerve to get sick. Medicine was your punishment for being sick. And it tasted like it!

That's another reason I love NyQuil. It tastes like you deserve it!

LOL! You're not THAT old! (Hmmm... But if you grew up in the UP, you might be a couple of decades behind the rest of us...)

Seriously. Go buy a small bottle of Buckley's Cough syrup, you guys, and take a hit. If that isn't the nastiest S#%T you ever put in your mouth, I'll... Well, since I don't really have any way of knowing what you all put in your mouth, I guess I won't guarantee anything. But trust me, Nyquil is honey coated angel cake compared to Buckleys!

But hey, if you do go out and buy some Buckley's, make sure you record yourself tasting it (or at least record someone else tasting it). The reason it works so well is because you are so appalled at the flavor, you completely forget that you were sick. Plus, you SURE aren't sick enough to have any more!

LOL! You're not THAT old! (Hmmm... But if you grew up in the UP, you might be a couple of decades behind the rest of us...)

Actually, I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio. I'm a transplanted Yooper.

My family was from the south, though. My mom's family were from New Orleans, and my dad's family was from West Virginia. Lots of southern food and folklore in my house as a child! My grandma was one of those people who are as round as they are tall- she was under 5 feet tall, but definitely over 5 feet in circumference. The good part of that was she could rarely catch us to swat us, except with a snap of a dishtowel.

Had cherry nyquil with a Festina De Peche chaser last night (Hard to taste beer well with a cold, but the sours cut right through!). Slept a lot better than the night before.

No matter how sick I am, a shot of Nyquil, a double of bourbon and off to bed I go.

If they made NyQuil illegal someone could make a fortune bootlegging it!

Back