Nylon Braid for Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Went to my local Home Depot and they didn’t have any stainless steel braids for my mash tun so I bought a “nylon” one that looks like stainless and seems to be about the same. Any issues with using it?

I used one for several batches in my first mash tun. I filled it up with short pieces of cpvc pipe to keep it from collapsing and coiled it up in the bottom. I called it my king snake, cause that's what it looked like. It worked fine. I finally gave it away, and as far as I know it is still working.

Okay cool. I’m hoping to use it just for tomorrow and replace it with a stainless steel one like I had before. Hopefully it won’t collapse on me tomorrow.

Any interest in something different? You can use a fine mesh bag to hold the grain in your mash tun and not worry about the braid collapsing. When the mash is done you can raise the bag to get more flow and a huge filter area.

When I put one on my mash tun, I used one for a water heater. No need to add anything to it and it won't collapse.

That being said, I second the vote for the grain bag. I have them for both my mash tuns and love them. Clean up is easier, and as mentioned above, if it slows down, simply move the bag a bit and it starts flowing great again.

Third the vote for the grain bag. I've been using one for about 5 months and won't ever go back to brewing without it. If you take good care of them they last a long time and cleanup is a snap. Once the spent grain is cool enough I dump it out, soak the bag in hot water in a pot, shake as much out as I can, then hang it up to dry. Once dry the rest of the grain just flies off and it's perfectly clean and ready for the next brew. Not to mention the fact that all my mash tun then needs is a good rinse out with hot water and it's good to go without having to scrub it out.

I use the stainless steel braid from a water heater supply line and I like that better than bags, but that's just me.

Back