Nutty Brown Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docz

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to share this with you. I think it's my best one so far.

4kg wheat malt
.5 kg marris otter
.5 kg cara120
15g aurora 45min
5g admiral 15min
15g hellertauer mittelfrau 15min
10g hellertauer mittelfrau 0 min
1pkg s04

Single stage mash 60 mins at 68 Celsius.
Boil 60 min

Primary for 3 weeks, primed and bottled. Tasted first bottle after 3weeks after bottling, and omfg... It tasted magical... At least to me. Thought I'd share it. Clarity was like crystal.

copperAle.jpg

Here's a picture, I can't believe how good it is! This is the first time I managed to get everything just the way I wanted it to! And it's frickin' strong to!! I'm drunk as hell after one glass! (I think my stomach surgery may have something to do with that though...)

mmm, that looks good. a beer I'd drink perhaps. except i'd throw the wheat in the garbage and replace it with more MO (nothing personal, I just hate most wheat beers). How is the heller aromatic working out? I always go with saaz as the closer when using european hops.

Yeah I'm not that fond of wheat either, but this is my new favorite beer! That "glue" taste of the wheat is gone, and you are left with just the sweetness. The cara 120 really counter that taste well, heller was a great pairing for this recipe, the bitterness imo is spot on! I'm not quite sure what style of beer this its under, but it sure tastes great. It was a "leftovers" batch, since i had a lot of wheat left over from another batch of weizen I made this summer, and I really wanted to use MO for this, but I only had half a kg left. So I contemplated making a small batch with the MO and another weizen, but then I found the left over cara 120 from earlier. And I used whatever hops I had, tried to focus on getting the caramel flavor with more hop aroma rather than bitterness.

I'm not quite sure what style of beer this its under

Well it all depends on your brewhouse efficiency, yeast attenuation, AA contributions, boil time, hop varieties and ingredients used... but...

if i were being generous with the classification and making a guess, I would say it is brown ale "ish". With wheat making up 80% of the grain bill..... i don't think it would fall into any category.

Judging by your picture and my best guess at your brewing process, I come up with the following:

Original gravity - (assume 70% efficiency): 1.059
Final gravity - (assume 75% attenuation): 1.0148
Color - (assume Cara120 is 120 SRM): 16.14 SRM
IBU - (assume average AA% for varieties): 15.75
ABV: 5.9%

so this doesn't hit any vital statistics matching a style but is pretty close to american brown and american amber, but again with the wheat it becomes a specialty beer. I would just call it an Amber Wheat and go with it.

American wheat with not a single American hop? :D
If you kept it for a while or gave it Brett you could call it an Old Wheat Ale!! :fro:

No it was belgian wheat malt, sorry I didn't specify the origin. Just had my last bottle of this stuff... it was magnificent!

This was one of those "let's brew with what I've got..." kind of batches... and my of my it is my all time favorite beer! I also made a very hoppy variant with the same mash, it turned out ok, but violently carbonated. But these brown babies... I'm so happy I logged the recipe! Definately will be making this again!

It's a strong mf to.... I'm drunk as hell after a pint... and it's beautiful!! Ah... the colors....

This was one of those "let's brew with what I've got..." kind of batches... and my of my it is my all time favorite beer! I also made a very hoppy variant with the same mash, it turned out ok, but violently carbonated. But these brown babies... I'm so happy I logged the recipe! Definately will be making this again!

I usually call that "sink beer". throw in everything but the kitchen sink. strangely they are usually as good or better than most beers that are actually trying to BE something specific.

Back