Nutrient help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjtabares

Reaction score
I starting a pretty big mead, 24 lbs of honey for 5.5 gal of mead with a final gravity of 1.02. So I am trying to get it to about 18% abv using k1-v1116. I started a small yeast starter with 10g of yeast. I just realized I don't have any DAP, I only have fermaid K and Fermaid O on hand. I started the starter today, 1/2 cup of honey, 2 cups water, 10 g go ferm. Should I hold off on making the must untill I get Dap or should I make it as planned and just use the fermaid o and fermaid k? How much nutrients would you use to keep the yeast happy?

24 pounds of honey seems... too big. If you're going for 5.5 gallons of finished product, and 2 gallons of that is honey (honey is approx. 12 lb/gal)... Do you mean you're adding it to 5.5 gallons of water? Even then, I calculate that you're going to have sugar left over. That's 4.36 pounds per gallon of water, should yield an OG of about 1.175, which would come out to 1.0375 if it makes it to 18%.

Could you share your recipe please?

I would wait for the DAP, 100%. Fermaid O and K both lack it, and the yeast need nitrogen, honey doesn't have near enough. Wait.

I want the final gravity to be around 1.02-1.025, so I want some sugar left over. I just put 24 lbs of honey with a total volume of 5.5 gals into a mead calculator and it said my starting gravity would be 1.16, bringing 1.16 down to between 1.02-1.025 would give me about 18% abv if i did that right. The calculator is usually pretty good, but usually just add honey and water to get the starting gravity I want close to the volume I want. Diffrent honey contains diffrent amounts of sugar so I normally just don't dump the homey in all at once. If the calculator is off then can you point me in the direction of one that works?

Thanks for the help.

Back