Should I use Fermaid O / Fermaid K / DAP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewarning

Reaction score
I've only used Go-Ferm, Fermaid K, and DAP. I was at The MeadMakr BatchBuildr looking at their Nutrient Regime and they have a Fermaid O / Fermaid K / DAP option. Is this now the preferred nutrient protocol?

I have personally found that Fermaid O leaves an almost musky aftertaste so I elect to use raisins as extra yeast food instead

I originally started making mead with Fermaid-K and DAP in my ferment with a SNA aproach. Then switched to Go Ferm for my starter and Fermaid-O using TOSNA 2.0 and now 3.0 calculators. (The amounts used and staggered additions are very important to follow if you want a quicker cleaner ferment)

Both techniques work very well and as mentioned above both if added too much or after 9% alcohol is produced will likely add off flavors as the yeast will not be able to utilize them.

My understanding is that Fermaid-K uses an inorganic nitrogen source and Fermaid-O uses an organic nitrogen. I have found that Fermaid-O during the ferment with Go-Ferm used in my starter gives me a cleaner ferment. With less chance off producing off flavors due to fusel production. Full disclosure here, it could also be my techniques, tempetature control, yeast selection and various other protocols have gotten better as well and the difference is not due to the change. But, the combination does work for me.

I guess, like a lot of things we do to produce mead its up to you to decide as to what Nutrient protocol works best for you in your conditions and techniques. (Both will work.)

Scottlabs site indicates the ingredients for Fermaid-K are proprietary and all are not listed. While Fermaid-O is in-fact better at reducing the likelyhood of fusels: Reference Scottlabs site.
https://shop.scottlab.com/fermaid-k-fermkhttps://shop.scottlab.com/fermaid-o-fermo

Fermaid-K includes DAP as part of its ingredients while Fermaid-O does not. As @CKuhns mentioned the yeast uptake of nutrients past the 9% ABV point is something that doesn't happen.

The TOSNA calculators are pretty good but other YAN sources in your recipe may not be accounted for and TOSNA generally doesn't take into account the YAN that is added from the Go-Ferm. The YAN from the Go-Ferm isn't much of an issue for your meads that are 10%+ while session style meads down in the 7% and lower range have too much YAN as the Go-Ferm isn't properly accounted against the total YAN needed,
Check out Experimeads for some great tests and experiments.

I have personally found that Fermaid O leaves an almost musky aftertaste so I elect to use raisins as extra yeast food instead
No, you'd need to use pounds of raisins to get the nutrition your yeast want. Why would wine makers use yeast nutrient if their 100% grape smoothie is enough?

Latest posts

Back