Nukatap Faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My lines are all about 10' just because the EVA stuff comes in 39ft rolls so I just divided evenly between my taps. Getting decent pours and my serving PSIs are higher than "normal" I think. Maybe 9ish for ales, 12 for lagers, 15 for hefe... serving in the low 30's

perhaps I should consult the kegging charts some more...

but I think foaming is a mixture of many things...keg/serving PSI, speed of flow, temps, any transitions in the beer's travel, things that induce turbulence, points of restriction or openness which will raise or drop PSI at those points, temperature changes during beer travel, etc...

SO since my original post in december, I now have nukataps with all 3 taps eva barrier lines at 5.5'. Even without running the fan and sitting for 2 days I dont get much foam at all.

Im at 37 degrees, 5.5' lines, light lager pressure at 5psi and a strong ale at 9psi, life is good.

Foamy pours are becoming the bane of my existence. Right now I've got a Kama Citra IPA that starts pouring smooth (first beer, after a day or so sitting idle), but after 1/4 pint it spits some foam, then clear. But the damage is already done. The final glass is half foam, half beer. Subsequent pours go better, but I still end up with 2+ inches of foamy head, half of which dissipates after a minute or two leaving a rockier head that persists and leaves an abundance of lace with notches till the end of the glass.

This is the second keg in a row that this has happened, so it's not a keg gasket issue. The tap (SS Perlick flow control) was recently rebuilt and the problem had mostly gone away but is now back with a vengeance. The beer lines on both taps were replaced about a year ago with barrier type ⅜" diameter, ~10' runs coiled on top of the kegs higher than the pick up line in the keg. The gas pressure is 11 psi calculated to be correct for the temperature and total "rise" from the keg mid-point to the height of the tap. I finally got my keg line cleaner back from my son, so that task is on today's list of things to accomplish, in case some beer stone is inducing turbulent flow. I'm also going to replace the black 'beer out' quick disconnect as well as the QD swivel nut in case that's the root of my problem. Wish me luck.

Since the pours start smooth, then get foamy before smoothing out again, I've got to believe that the problem isn't inside the keg but rather somewhere between the QD and the faucet shank, but this has really got me stumped. The tower is insulated with a cooling fan setup to keep it chilled, so that shouldn't be the cause. The other tap on the same tower (American lager, same gas line feed) works flawlessly with mostly identical plumbing, except the Perlick FC tap on that side was replaced with an Intertap Nukatap when I did my last cleaning and rebuild. I've used Perlick taps (forward sealing, mostly flow control) for at least ten years and have been extremely pleased until the last year or so. I've got five of 'em sitting in boxes after disassembly, deep cleaning and parts replacement six months ago. If today's maintenance doesn't correct the problem I'll replace the existing rebuilt Perlick FC with one of them. And if THAT doesn't fix things, there'll be a new Nukatap on order soon.

SO since my original post in december, I now have nukataps with all 3 taps eva barrier lines at 5.5'. Even without running the fan and sitting for 2 days I dont get much foam at all.

Im at 37 degrees, 5.5' lines, light lager pressure at 5psi and a strong ale at 9psi, life is good.
I've had nothing but good luck with my Nukatap, but it's only been going for about 6 months. It was hooked up but went unused during Dry January. Nevertheless it poured perfectly on the first pull in February! Very impressed.

I thought about picking up a flow control version (they were supposed to be out last Fall) but haven't heard much about them lately, so I figured the supply lines got disrupted between Covid and the Suez Canal. Based on the performance I'm getting from the one I have installed, I don't think I need flow control, even though I usually have one lager and one IPA/Pale Ale on tap at the same time. Just out of curiosity, which Nukataps do you have?

Foamy pours are becoming the bane of my existence.

The beer lines on both taps were replaced about a year ago with barrier type ⅜" diameter,

3/8 beer lines? that's 6/16 or 9.5mm....

are you sure that's right? standard I think is 1/4" and most of us I think are going to 4mm or 3/16 lines...

Latest posts

Back