Nugget as flavor/aroma hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e lo

Reaction score
I bought a "pound" each of a few varieties from Puterbaugh farms in the fall, and while I've made a really big dent in my Mt. Hood and a sizable dent in my Cascades, I use so little of the Nugget per batch that I've got a lot of them left. At 14% AA, I hardly use any per batch!

Has anybody used Nugget as an aroma or flavor hop? I have no idea what a late addition Nugget would taste like, but I'd love to be able to use more than 1/2 an ounce or so per recipe.

Any recipies would be most welcome!

Personally, I'm reserving all high-end AA% hops for bittering. Only having to use them little by little is ideal in our current situation...

Soulive said:
Personally, I'm reserving all high-end AA% hops for bittering. Only having to use them little by little is ideal in our current situation...

I agree that using small amounts of hops in recipes for the forseeable future is a good thing -- It's just that at this rate, I'll be left with only nugget before long, and I'm wondering what else I can do with them. :mug:

e lo said:
I agree that using small amounts of hops in recipes for the forseeable future is a good thing -- It's just that at this rate, I'll be left with only nugget before long, and I'm wondering what else I can do with them. :mug:

Yeah I hear ya. My logic is, I'm gonna have to buy hops at some point and I'd rather it be lower AA% hops. Almost every beer style has bittering hops, but not all have flavor/aroma additions. Just my $.02...

Better get used to ales with no aroma or flavor additions... you could of course make a very very bitter beer....

Nugget works extremely well for flavor/aroma. Had an all Nugget Fresh Hop IPA two years ago. Fantastic! You might have to adjust the bittering add, since it will give you significant IBUs at 15 minutes.

From memory, I think Randy Mosher in Radical Brewing talks very positively about using high alpha acid hops as flavouring / aroma hops. I don't think he went into specifics about which ones he liked, but I got the impression that it would be well worth trying - and certainly not a stupid idea. If you do give it a try, let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably try an IPA w/ Nugget a couple of batches from now.

I grow Nugget hops, so I have a boat load of them. I used them in an experimental ale recipe. When I transfered it to the secondary, and measured the gravity, I tasted the gravity sample, and It was real hop heavy, and had good flavor too. I used the Nugget for both bittering and flavor hops. I used Saaz for aroma. I can't wait for this one. It should be a good one.

any updates on this one?

i just bought a pound of millenium from northern brewer, and i know millenium is pretty close to nugget. i'm wondering what the flavor and aroma properties are...

i'll probably mostly use it for bittering, but i wouldn't mind having the option of using them as flavor hops as well...

I've read recipes that use Nugget for dry-hopping in preference to Cascade (granted, they were going for something specific). I just picked up a QP of whole/leaf Nugget this evening, and am probably going to give it a try as a dry hop in a Double Bastard clone (maybe not, though...I might play it safe and dry-hop with the tried and true Cascade).

Hmm...I'd be interested to hear more on this as well.

Hey all, reviving this thread as I just got myself a nugget plant. (It was all I could get this year but I hope to be able to plant something else too next year!) So I was wondering what your conclusions were on using nugget as an aroma hop, or to make an IPA.

I'm thinking that if I manage to estimate the AA% I could use them as bittering in the worse situation. In any case, I got a neat little plant growing outside my house:)

So what are your thoughts?

I made an IPA with all Nugget hops (all 15minute additions), still has about another 2 weeks before I tap it, but the aroma is awesome.

Does Troeg's Nugget Nectoar use them late in the boil? I just tried that beer for the first time in a long while, and though it was pretty good.

Troegs makes an IPA with a good amount of Nugget. It does use a few others as well.

http://www.troegs.com/beers_nugget nectar.htm

Also Northern Brewer makes a kit that utilizes only Chinooks and they are up in the neighborhood of Nugget in the AA department. It was VERY good.

I know it's 3 years old, but anyone have a link that works there?

BH10 said:
I made an IPA with all Nugget hops (all 15minute additions), still has about another 2 weeks before I tap it, but the aroma is awesome.

It's been 2 weeks...

I two have a lot of nugget hops from the back yard!! I gave a friend 10oz of them to use and he tried them at all different times tha boil bittering and flavor. And had great beer to drink!! One time we used 1.5 oz for bittering with hoped flavored malt 6.6 lbs and 1lb hop flavored dry malt during the main boil. And 2oz during the last 6-8 minutes of boiling and it ended up being in his top 10 beers!! I believe he bioled for only 50 min? (not sure) We had had a few beers -can't remember.lol
I don't like to trash any thing I can grow so I would say make a log book and use them up!!
Good luck! kopphop.

It's been 2 weeks...
Tapped it the other day, man what a different beer it was a Vienna/Nugget SMaSH, flavor was huge, but very different couldnt put my finger on it. Id say its like Columbus/Cascade mix very pungent and very floral. Again it was all late additions hops 15min, 8min, and 1minute.

All in all I probably would not brew it again in a SMaSH, but Id use it sparingly (maybe .5oz at 15 or 5 min) along with some citrusy hop and definitely use in dry hopping, great aroma.

Thanks for the update BH. I have first year hop Nuggets, Zeus and Galena going. I don't expect much this year, but maybe enough for a experiment.

Back