Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrooperThorn

Reaction score
Seriously, my first brew is no longer percolating.

It's not as exciting without the bubbles. Whatever can I do to pass the time while fermentation takes it's natural course?

:)

Buy as many different types of beer as you can and sample them until you find some inspiration for another batch. Peel the labels off the bottles, and get ready for bottling.

And brew another batch, the waiting gets harder when the beer is in a bottle.

Thats why I have two fermentation chambers and three carboys. I always make sure to have something conditioning while another ferments and even more is drinkable. You can also start reading books and doing research. I would suggest buying The Joys of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian. Expanding your palate is also another thing you can do. If you live in a city with a brewpub or some kind of bar that serves a vast amount of GOOD beer then start checking those places out. Research how to properly taste a good beer and what kinds of beer have what certain special aspects about their taste profile. If you are looking to expand you palate and want a good read I would suggest The Beer Trials by Seamus Campbell and Robin Goldstein. Hope that helps to pass the time.

JoyousRuction said:
Buy as many different types of beer as you can and sample them until you find some inspiration for another batch.

We call this, "research" :mug:

Good advice.. brew another batch.. get that pipeline going. I can't believe how fast I can go thru a batch, what with sharing with friends and, not to mention, my new affection for beer rather than wine. It's now my go-to... :ban:

• Read a book.
    Take a walk.
    Learn to speak another language.
    Do some volunteer work.
    Do something nice for SWMBO to make up for all the sh•t you are going to put her through when all you do is brew. (I call this "preemptive apologizing").
    Clean out the gutters.
    Plan world domination.
    Masturbate.
    Barbecue.
    Prank call an old girlfriend.
    Spend 15 minutes making a stupid list on the homebrew forum.
    Watch the Sun bowl.
    Write a screenplay.
    Change the oil in your truck.
    Change the oil in your deep fryer.
    Take a bubble bath.
    Two words: road trip.
    Teach your son to throw a curve ball.
    Watch "Amadeus" on VHS.
    Call the hall and Oates telephone line.
    Rickroll a friend.
    Organize your garage.
    Go to the gym.
    It's Caturday, go over to 4chan and witness the end of modern civilization as it happens.
    Read every comic on XKCD, in order.
    Paint.
    Wash your dog.
    Wash your cat-it IS Caturday.
    Practice your sleight of hand.
    Go watch a movie.
    Recycle.
    Edit all those home videos you took last year-no one wants to watch 45 minutes of Timmy singing "Sexyback" and dancing around in his underoos -cut that crap to no more than 15 minutes.
    Go to the Home Depot.
    Balance your kegging system.
    Drink 18 beers in 22 minutes and spend the rest of the day crying and telling your sober friends how much you really, really love them.
    Start a fight.
    Watch some pr0n.
    Hike.
    Shovel snow.
    Scuba dive.
-just pick one.

• Read a book.
    Take a walk.
    Learn to speak another language.
    Do some volunteer work.
    Do something nice for SWMBO to make up for all the sh•t you are going to put her through when all you do is brew. (I call this "preemptive apologizing").
    Clean out the gutters.
    Plan world domination.
    Masturbate.
    Barbecue.
    Prank call an old girlfriend.
    Spend 15 minutes making a stupid list on the homebrew forum.
    Watch the Sun bowl.
    Write a screenplay.
    Change the oil in your truck.
    Change the oil in your deep fryer.
    Take a bubble bath.
    Two words: road trip.
    Teach your son to throw a curve ball.
    Watch "Amadeus" on VHS.
    Call the hall and Oates telephone line.
    Rickroll a friend.
    Organize your garage.
    Go to the gym.
    It's Caturday, go over to 4chan and witness the end of modern civilization as it happens.
    Read every comic on XKCD, in order.
    Paint.
    Wash your dog.
    Wash your cat-it IS Caturday.
    Practice your sleight of hand.
    Go watch a movie.
    Recycle.
    Edit all those home videos you took last year-no one wants to watch 45 minutes of Timmy singing "Sexyback" and dancing around in his underoos -cut that crap to no more than 15 minutes.
    Go to the Home Depot.
    Balance your kegging system.
    Drink 18 beers in 22 minutes and spend the rest of the day crying and telling your sober friends how much you really, really love them.
    Start a fight.
    Watch some pr0n.
    Hike.
    Shovel snow.
    Scuba dive.
-just pick one.

Muthafuggle, Muthafuggle - that's quite a muthafuggling list.

Seriously, my first brew is no longer percolating.

It's not as exciting without the bubbles. Whatever can I do to pass the time while fermentation takes it's natural course?

Drink a nice craft brew until she's ready, give'er time, she's worth the wait.

JLem said:
Blame muthafuggle...his idea

Well, there were worse options off my list he could have linked. -not very many, but there were worse one's.

Please note that this is NOT an invitation to start linking to 4chan or your home made Pr0n.

But feel free to add to my original list

Normally, I like to respond to each post individually, but there are just too many good ideas here.

Here's what I've gotten to so far:

1. Drink beer
2. Insulate walls in my renovation.
3. Start insulating floor in renovation.
3. Drink beer.
4. The muskrat collection thing just didn't work. Maybe something to do with the beer.
5. Roamed homebrew talk forums.
6. Flagged my wishlist for brewing equipment upgrades.
7. Drink vodka.
8. Stare at airlock on my primary fermenter.
9. Watch Empire Strikes back.
10. Happy New Year! Fireworks. Drink more beer. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
11. Watch Gurren Lagann. Fight the Powah!
12. Checked Cowboys game. Got depressed - time for more vodka.
13. Killed Covenant on Halo: Reach.
14. Got rickrolled. Ack.
15. Looked up SWMBO. Hah, funny.
16. Stare at airlock on my primary fermenter.
17. Cleaned out gutters.
18. Stared at beer. <Sigh>

Buy as many different types of beer as you can and sample them until you find some inspiration for another batch.

This is what I did. I sampled a crap load of beer over the holiday. I used the time sampling to write out all the details of my 3 brewing sessions.

Wait!!! I don't see 'brewed another beer" on that list anywhere. What happened?:D

Ha, you got me. But in my defense, I don't have the equipment to start another batch.

As soon as I pick up another primary and carboy, I'm going to do the Aussie Light Ale.

Ha, you got me. But in my defense, I don't have the equipment to start another batch.

As soon as I pick up another primary and carboy, I'm going to do the Aussie Light Ale.

Instead of a primary and carboy spend the same amount and get 3 primaries and join those of us who have discovered that secondaring in a carboy isn't necessary. Leave your beer in the primary for as long as you would have using primary and secondary and it will clear the same and with the entire yeast cake you may be surprised at the flavor improvement. Now you can have 4 beers fermenting at once to think about. :ban:

Instead of a primary and carboy spend the same amount and get 3 primaries and join those of us who have discovered that secondaring in a carboy isn't necessary. Leave your beer in the primary for as long as you would have using primary and secondary and it will clear the same and with the entire yeast cake you may be surprised at the flavor improvement. Now you can have 4 beers fermenting at once to think about. :ban:

Wow, are you serious?! I thought the secondary aided in eliminating the yeast sediment.

Then what's the point of the carboy as a secondary? Is that just a sucker buy for noobs like me?

RM-MN said:

Do you dry hop in your primary?

mdatum said:

Yup, I sure do.

Not every time, but as often as not. Unless there are serious adjuncts like fruit or oak, it's primary only. I am currently debating if my 12% wee heavy will get a secondary treatment. It will be a LONG fermentation either way.

I agree with research, and brew another beer. There are limitless ways to improve process when you are new. After the first few brews you will have the basic idea down, so look for ways to expand and improve your process.

And brew another, the pipeline is important.

I did and will do it again. Nothing magical about a secondary for dry hopping.

If I do a fruit beer I might do a secondary but I might secondary in a bucket since the last time I put it in a carboy the carboy was too small when I added the fruit and the fermentation was so vigorous I lost beer over the top.

Wow, are you serious?! I thought the secondary aided in eliminating the yeast sediment.

Then what's the point of the carboy as a secondary? Is that just a sucker buy for noobs like me?

There was, at one point, the idea that letting your beer sit on the primary yeast cake for too long would result in off-flavors from the dying and decaying yeast. This lead people to advocate for moving the beer into a secondary vessel as soon as possible after fermentation was done. I suppose this may have been a real problem with old not-so-great yeast, but with the yeast we have today this is not a problem and your beer can sit in the primary for many weeks with no problems.

I no longer use a secondary unless I am adding fruit or oak or Brettanomyces or if I am bulk aging for many months. Otherwise I just keep the beer in the primary for 2-4 weeks and then bottle.

In addition to there not being any problem with leaving the beer on the yeast, it actually has a huge benefit. Even though fermentation may be done, the yeast continue to metabolize many of the by products they produced during fermentation, which can result in a cleaner, better-tasting beer. Moving the beer away from the bulk of the yeast can limit this "clean-up". Also, the yeast will settle out just fine whether in primary or secondary - it just takes time.

If that's the case, there's really no good reason to move the beer to a carboy. I did some more research and found the following in 'How To Brew' by John Palmer:

10.3 Autolysis
When a yeast cell dies, it ruptures - releasing several off-flavors into the beer. When you have a large yeast mass on the bottom of the fermentor, you have a large potential for off-flavors due to autolysis. If this ever happens to you, you will know it. The smell is one you will never forget. It happened to me one time when my wife was making paper as a hobby. She used boiled rice as the glue to hold the shredded paper together. After the rice had been boiled until it became a paste, the paper making was called off that weekend and the pot of rice paste was set aside on the counter top. A wild yeast must have got a hold of it during the next couple days ( I remember it bubbling) and the pot was ignored in the days that followed. A busy week went by along with another busy weekend and the unintentional Sake experiment still sat there forgotten. The following weekend, my wife was once again ready to try making paper. I picked up the pot and lifted the lid to see what had happened to it. My knees buckled. My wife turned green and ran to the door coughing and choking. The stench was appalling! It was heinous! The noxious aftermath of a late night of cheap beer and pickled eggs would be refreshing compared to the absolute stench of autolysis. I hope I never have to smell it again.

Luckily, the propensity of yeast to autolyze is decreased by a decrease in activity and a decrease in total yeast mass. What this means to a brewer is that racking to a secondary fermenter to get the beer off the dead yeast and lowering the temperature for the long cold storage allows the beer to condition without much risk of autolysis. At a minimum, a beer that has experienced autolysis will have a burnt rubber taste and smell and will probably be undrinkable. At worst it will be unapproachable.

As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis. Autolysis is not inevitable, but it is lurking.

You seem to have missed the thousands of discussions about this on here.

John Palmer actually retracted what he said in HTB. He discussed it in a couple podcasts, at one of the homebrewer's conferences, and a discussion with Jamil, which are all quoted and referenced in the thread I posted below.

Some of his original initial comments like the one at the conference seemed to echo verbatum what I and a few others had said when we began these discussions and recording our experiences on here 4 years ago. I believe a lot of the shift can be attributed to us here. Which influenced basic brewing and byo magazine to start the dialogue more pubically.

Nowadays even many instructions, in BYO magazine, and even some kits suggest a long primary as opposed to using a secondary.

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

This is a misoconception that so many people have, autolysed yeast and dead yeast are NOT the same thing. And folks need to grasp this, and quit worrying about autoysis. It's just not an issue for us....

Autolysis is to yeasts what peritonitus is to humans, it's a specific condition. Everyone who dies doesn't have their intestines rupture and rotten bacteria dump into their bloodstream.

NOR does every yeast cell that dies dump the contents of IT'S cells into the beer. If that were the case every beer we ever make would autolysize...

We'd never have aged, bottle conditioned beer. Hell we'd never have ANY bottle conditioned beers, COMMERCIAL OR HOMEBREW.

Autolysis is not the inevitable end of healthy yeast. It is the unnatural end that is a product of yeast health...like peritinitus or even cancer in us....it is an abberation....UNHEALTHY AND STRESSED yeast autolyse... but rarely do we have unhealthy yeast these days, most of the yeast we pitch is fresh...and unless we are making a huge beer, even underpitching will not NECESSARILY produce stressed out yeast. Or stressed out yeast that will automatically autlolyse....

Most yeast that folks call dead, is actually dormant. Like most of what's in the bottom of the fermenter when fermentation is complete. And the yeast is indead dead, a lot of it is canibalized by the living yeast. And the rest, if the yeast was healthy to begin with, is just dead....think of it as natural causes, it's not necessarily spilling it's "intestinal" goop into our beer.

Al Palmer has said many many times, the book is up to 3rd edition already. The website is from 1st edition. If you want the newest information buy the book.

nanofreak said:
Al Palmer has said many many times, the book is up to 3rd edition already. The website is from 1st edition. If you want the newest information buy the book.

I have the 3rd edition and he only really makes it clear in the chapter on lager. It could be much much clearer and I understand the confusion.

I have the 3rd edition and he only really makes it clear in the chapter on lager. It could be much much clearer and I understand the confusion.

Yeah been one of my arguments for years/ that and the fact he talks about EVERY worst case scenario/bugaboo in brewing and has freaked out countlesss noobs, to which WE have to clean up his messes.

Anyway one thing to realize is that with lagers there is little margin for error, every flaw is noticeable. That's why as much as a lot of new brewers/craft brew drinkers zealously bash BMC they have to realize that those are the most difficult styles to make. You have to nail every aspect of the process, proper amount of yeast, temp control through the whole process, stuff like that.

If there were a risk of autolysis from long term contact with yeast (and I'm minimizing it here as well) it would be in a lager. Remember the term Lager means "to store" and many beers are lagered for months on end, maybe less so today with Bud and bud light, and that has more to do with economics, but many lagered styles may spend six month in the cold of a lager cellar, so a beer style where flaws are noticeable, that is typically sitting for a long time, would be where it could be picked up. So traditionally beers are taken off the yeast at the time to lager.

But that's not saying you take it off the yeast asap and lager it, you still need to make sure fermentation is finished, and ideally here, more than anywhere, you'd want the cleanup benefits that a few weeks on the yeast would bring, then rack and lager.

I still wait a month on my lagers, before I rack to a secondary for the lager period. Though a few folks on here do lager in a primary.

But anyway, a lot of info has come out in the time since he wrote that little passage, and like I said, he's backed off a little on the autolysis. He realized he was just passing on the same yeast fear that has been a carry over from homebrewing prohibition (from 1920 to 78) when there weren't a lot of quality ingredients, including yeasts, readily available, so yeast very well could have crapped out on us and made nasty beer.

But that isn't the case anymore. Yeast is fresher, better made and stored, we understand more about pitching rates and temp control, so it's not stressed out like it used to be, so therefore it is healthier, and less apt to autolyse. And we've come to realize just what fastiduous housekeepers the yeast are, that given time they will clean up their own messes, and our beer is better for it.

Bottom line though, is to make up your own mind, try it both ways and see. Most of us did it by accident, life got in the way of racking to secondary, and our beers sat longer, and we found they were better tasting and clearer, and crisper then when we used to hurry the process.

Hey, I'm the first one to admit I don't know anything compared to you guys!

I've pretty much changed my plan to use my carboy as another primary because of the feedback from the forum. Sounds great to me.

This actually is my first Rodeo, so to speak. So please feel free to set me straight. I was actually just looking up 'autolysis' because I had come across the term in another thread and didn't know what it meant. I'll check out the thread that Revvy provided - it sounds like an interesting discussion.

I do appreciate the fact that John Palmer has put up his first edition on the net for all to use as a reference. It's especially helpful for noobs like me. Even if some of the information is probably a little dated, it's still an excellent starting point.

Again - thanks to all for the feedback.

If you have an empty carboy that needs to be used do a search for apfelwein. It will also give you something to do while you wait for your beer :)

If you have an empty carboy that needs to be used do a search for apfelwein. It will also give you something to do while you wait for your beer :)

Excellent advice again. I think SWMBO will like this one.

I'm also picking up another bucket tonight to get another batch started. Time to prime that pipeline!

:ban:

Back