Novice Brewer with a Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
Hi there, I just started making hard cider with store bought Whole foods brand Apple Juice (no preservatives). Unfortunately I was instructed to add a lot of sugar to my batches. Another website stated to add 3-5 cups of sugar per gallon of juice. After much research on other sites, I have determined that this is WAY too much sugar.
Most sites' recipe calls for around 1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar or honey. Some sites dont even add sugar. I assume this is because the apple juice already contains natural sugars for the yeast to thrive on.

Soooo- do my batches have way too much sugar or what? What will the end result be like? What do you use for your recipe?

For cider, I generally don't add any sugar. For apple wine, I use about what you did.

If you have a hydrometer (really a necessary tool), you can get the gravity reading and see what the OG is of the juice and then decide if you want to boost the alcohol content with sugar.

To me, "cider" is about 6% ABV and simple fermented fresh apple juice. People add sugar to boost up the alcohol level, but it makes a more wine-like drink with less apple flavor. Apple wine and crabapple wine are great, too, and I make them for table wines, but not the same as just fermented cider.

I'd suggest trying it for yourself. Next time, use just the apple juice in one jug and then add sugar (or brown sugar or honey) to the other jug and see which you prefer.

Good experiment Yoop.. My first batch is perc'in along just fine since pitching on Wednesday. Guess I have a ways to go yet. But, bought more cider this week.. a combo of Musslemans at Walmart and the unfiltered gallon at WholeFoods. Think I'll mix them and then do as you suggested.. plain and with sugar. I'm sure they will both be drinkable

Back