Notty or out of date SDSY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillWill

Reaction score
Hello! Need some opinions, although I'm pretty sure I know the right choice.

Brewing a founders breakfast stout clone (2.5 gallons), I've got 2 vials of San Diego that expired 06/11 (brewer gave them to me). No time for a starter as I've just started the boil.

Should I
a) pitch both vials
b) use the notty dried yeast (rehydrated).

I wanted to use the san diego, but the viability is probably very poor so I'm thinking it's time to call up the Nottingham backup, and use the SDSY some other time (stepped up in a starter of course).

i'd make a starter with the SDSY. even if it's expired, you should be able to build up enough yeasties in a starter to pitch into that beer. folks do it all the time with expired packs/vials.

just noticed you started the boil already. well, next time..... maybe go with the Notty this time if you wanna be sure of viability.

Ok, have gone with the Notty.

I'll still use the SDSY at some point. If I can culture yeast from a bottle of delirium tremens (that was over a year old), and ferment a 2.5 gallon batch from 1.086 down to 1.013, I'm sure I can get some SDSY going that's only a couple of months passed it's best before.

Back