Notty is too quick...or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I may be posting this in the wrong place but,
I just brewed a batch of Bells 2 Hearted clone Saturday morning and pitched a hydrated pack of Notty into my fermentor at 65˚(which is in a frig). I've seen zero activity from the yeast so Monday evening I took the lid off and peeked inside...

I saw clear beer, but I did see about a 2" ring of krausen around the sides?

My question is: Could this have risen AND fallen in 48 hours?

If so, how long can I safely leave it in the primary fermentor?

Thanks all!

Two days is pretty quick but not impossible. I’d take a gravity sample to insure you know where your at.

You have plenty of time left on the yeast. Yeast won’t die off for 3-4 weeks at the earliest.

I've seen pretty quick fermentations with Notty before but never with only a 2" krausen. I have gotten in the habit of using a blowoff tube whenever I ferment with it. Let it ride for a couple more days and take a reading.

...My bad; I meant to say that I always use a blow off tube into a jar of StarSan. When it never moved, that's when I got nervous, then I noticed the krausen, so somethings going on, right?

Lack of Blowoff/airlock activity probably just means there was another path for the co2 to escaped. What was the o.g.? If it wasn't real high, Notty can be over with main sequence pretty quickly. But I like to leave the beer on the yeast for a couple of weeks. We just did an amber ale with notty at 62, it was done in less than 4 days. Do you keep the temp of your ferm chamber at 65, or is there a temp probe on the fermenter?

The krausen may have risen and fallen but that doesn't mean that fermentation is finished. You need to check the gravity. I ferment for 2 weeks, but most often I get a case of the lazy's and don't get the beer bottled or kegged at that time.

There is no reason to "get the beer off the yeast" and the yeast will not die. I have bottle conditioned beers that sat in the fermenter for over two months. I didn't have to add any more yeast.

OG was 1.055 and yes there is a temp probe attached to fermentor. I just wanted some validation that I wasn't going crazy as its been a little over a year since I've brewed! I think I'm good! :mug:

Back