Nottingham yeast making farts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412CiderGuy

Reaction score
A friend of mine swears by Nottingham yeast but I tried two batches and it’s the ONLY yeast that gives off an overwhelming sulphur smell. I just made 35 gallons in 8 different carboys and it was the only one (again) that will probably need dumped. Anyone else notice this?

Note: yes I gave it plenty of nutrient.

Note 2: yes I am trying to save this batch by purging with CO2 and aerating.

Notty is a nutrient hog, it needs more than most yeasts. And it's very unhappy above 67°F. What is your temperature?

That would make sense about being a nutrient hog. I’m seeing a lot of people that complain about the suplir smell using notty.

I kept very cool since it’s in my garage in a Pittsburgh winter. Usually around 50-55.

At that temperature I wouldn't expect sulfur even with very little nutrient. My experience with it was that it gave off terrible fusels at 75°, but I don't ever recall farts. It's a very powerful fermenter, always finished well below 1.000.

Even when it smells during fermentation, I have never had any smells after it was bottled and let set a month or two. And I always drink my ciders young, even when Notty. Very few make it past 3 months.

I tried Nottingham a few years back and got strong sulfur smell and flavor. Nothing I tried got rid of the bad taste and smell so eventually I dumped it.
My go-to yeasts for cider these days is 71-B or Cider House Select.

I just ordered some Mangrove Jack Cider yeast. Says it will die off at 8%, so I can make a must with 9 or 10% abv, and have a semi-sweet turdo cider result without backsweetening.

I tried Nottingham a few years back and got strong sulfur smell and flavor. Nothing I tried got rid of the bad taste and smell so eventually I dumped it.
My go-to yeasts for cider these days is 71-B or Cider House Select.
We just got into our first Notty batches from last winter. I had 3 gallons of store juice, and 3 gallons of juice I made with FAJC and filtered spring water. About a pound each of white and brown sugar to get to 1.060 OG. We racked at about 10 days and 1.025. We sampled at about 6 weeks, and wanted to dump it. Luckily, another fellow ciderer came for a visit, and told us to leave it alone. Well, about a week ago we opened them up. Fourteen months old, and it was surprisingly good. The FAJC batch had some fairly strong Brianna grape notes, and the store juice developed a taste not unlike white wine. Overall, we were happy we gave it time.

Latest posts

Back