Nottingham smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

entlebock

Reaction score
I brewed BM centennial blonde about a month ago, had good luck hit the gravity and volume right on for the first time with this recipe. So I was excited to taste the difference from the last time I brewed it. It seems the Nottingham yeast let me down. When I open the pack and added to the water I noticed the package had a strong yeast smell that filled the room I have only used this yeast a few times but did not remember this smell before. It has been in the keg a few weeks now and the smell of the beer is strong with this yeast aroma. I have only poured 4 or 5 pints but the smell is still strong and not that enjoyable but the beer is drinkable. Some of my questions are will this go away as more pints are poured, I did not cold crash do to time so the beer is still a little cloudy. Anyone had this problem before? What would be a good alternative dry yeast to use next time I do this brew? How do you think WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast would be? Then I could try and wash it and use it on BM Kona PA recipe. Thanks

I have used Nottingham for last 4 batches and no smell must have been something with that pack...But I don't have years of experience with it yet. I plan on keep using it so let me know if anyone else has issues with it please...

I get no smell, off flavors, and virtually no yeast character at well when I use nottingham. If you pitch the proper amount, hydrate according to specifications and ferment within the temperature range you will have no issues.

This is according to my experience using non recall nottingham. It is my favorite yeast and has never let me down.

If you ferment this yeast above 72 degrees or so, especially during the peak of fermentation, you can expect bad things.

I personally dont like nottingham or windsor,due to its strong taste

You must ferment at a high temp. Nottingham is a very neutral yeast, with NO off flavors unless fermented very high.

I actually just used one of the recalled packages in a pale ale, I re-hydrated, pitched and it's down to .016 after 4 days, and the sample tasted great.

Latest posts

Back