Nottingham in ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
Guys, brewed an ESB last Friday. Used Nottingham that I pitched it on Saturday. Fermentation started vigorously on Sunday. Came home Monday and it was going wild and I smelled a banana/sourish/yeasty smell. The thermometer sticky on the carboy read 70. I had the wine cooler set at 64. I cranked it down to 57 which got the carboy reading around 62-63.
I hope I didn't ruin this beer. It couldn't have been 70 )7 than 12 hours while I was at work. I believe the carboy read 67-68 that morning.
Anyone else experience this with Nottingham or is this infected or do I just need to Relax)?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Personally, I don't care for Notty above the very low 60s. Other people find it palatable in its upper listed range. It'll be estery but it will be certainly be beer.

I'd recommend warming it back up towards the end of attenuation (assuming a moderate OG somewhere around day 3 or 4) to 70 to encourage it to clean up DMS and other off products that were produced during the hotter initial part of the ferment.

Back