Nottingham Dry Yeast. 2 packs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawk13

Reaction score
hey guys. Long time member but first post. I just brewed an IPA. OG was 1.05 (5 gallon batch). Not sure why I did this but thought I’d give it a try. I pitched 2 11 gram packs of Nottingham dry yeast directly into the wort. It started fermentation within a couple hours. So my question is. Did I use too much yeast or ami I good????
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Personally, when I pitch dry yeast, I will only pitch one 11g packet up to ~1.060 range. Anything much above that would get two.

I agree. You only needed one, but you will be fine. I feel like its pretty hard to over pitch in the homebrew world as I tend to normally without any ill effects.

FWIW, just brew a ~1.050 beer with a mason jar of Nottingham slurry (saved from a previous batch) with a 2L starter. I'm sure there were more cells than two packets, and the beer is great.

As others say, you did over-pitch, but it won't cause any harm.

@GoeHaarden - I just brewed 6 gallons of 1.055 saison using 3726 slurry. I just poured 200ml of it directly from the mason jar and I'm expecting it'll be popping away by dinner time tonight.

The worst thing you did was waste a packet of yeast. I think you have to really make an effort to overpitch enough that'll actually negatively affect the beer.

I just brewed 6 gallons of 1.055 saison using 3726 slurry. I just poured 200ml of it directly from the mason jar and I'm expecting it'll be popping away by dinner time tonight.

Yeah, slurries usually explode fast for me. I do starters for jars that are starting to age a bit. Probably overkill, but I have my non-scientific reasons. :D

Just offering a different point of view. If you use a calculator like Mr. Malty, or the one on Brewer's Friend, they'll indicate you use two packs for a 1.050 wort. Will one work? Yes, but dry yeast is pretty inexpensive. I routinely use 2 packs of ale yeast at 1.050 and above.

Awesome information. Thanks It seems like I’ll be fine. Not too worried about the yeast pack. Just wanted to make sure the beer would be okay.

Back