Nottingham Danstar - Too High Temp??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Brewed Biermuncher’s Centenial Blonde Ale this past Sunday.
Pitched the yeast (Nittingham Danstar) at 72F wort temperature.

Monday morning the temperature was 68F…and it was bubbling away.

By Monday evening it was at 70F and the airlock was bubbling like crazy

Tuesday morning the temp is up to 72F and still bubbling like crazy.

My concern is whether or not the higher temp (72F) will result in any off flavors, alcohiols, etc.

This yeast is listed as max recommended fermentation of 70F……I am guessing it will be fine.

it is a bit high, however notty is a very clean strain and if you can do the swamp cooler thing and let it rest for an extra week it should clean itself up enough that you'll never know the difference/

swamp cooler: take a large bucket that your fermentor will fit into easily, a party keg cooler works well at aroung 15 bones.

put your fermentor in and fill halfway with water.

if this doesn't bring it down enough, wrap a towel around or fit a t-shirt over the fermenter to wick moisture up and evaporate to further cool the water

i do almost exactly what erikt is talking about. i have a big tote i keep my fermenters to moderate temps. as he said, nottingham is a very good, very stable yeast. just don't let it get any higher

Until I set up my ferm chamber I brewed with notty in the mid to upper 70's pretty regularly. Could have been better, but was still darn good beer.

Thanks guys!

Well it was only at 72 F for about 24 hours.

It was down to 68F as of yesterday afternoon.....just because the fermentation had slowed I guess. The basement is at 67F.

My plan is to let set in primary for another 10 days....then transfer to secondary for gelatin clearing treatment for 7 days then bottle.

Whata think?

If you have the means to do it. Notty is an excellent yeast down to the mid 50's. I did a cream ale at 55F and it was super clean.

I wish I could maintain a fermentation temperature in the low 70's. I do not really want to go through the big water bucket solution, and I do not have a fermentation chamber. So the room temperature is my fermentation temp :)
Anyway, I always end up with good beer, even with fermentation around 76 / 78. So I would not worry too much for reaching 72 from time to time :)

Yeah, I checked my temps this a.m. and to my dismay...78 degrees! Here is my setup and I also have about 5 1 liter bottles of ice that I swap out once or twice a day. I've also covered the tops with dry t-shirts. I want to get the foam insulation board since i think that will do a better job.

I don't like the idea of filling the tub with water...doesn't it get stinky in there after a week or two? Would it ruin my fermometers?

Sams club has these coolers on sale for under $30.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1180460&navAction=&_requestid=193589

I have been able to maintain temps in the low 50s by placing ice packs in the corners and changing them in the morning and at night. The insulation factor makes a big difference. I also can chill my wort from boiling to 70 degrees in 30 minutes by placing my 8 gallon pot in it and running a hose so it overflows slowly onto my deck.

No problem with smell though on one 30 day ferment the water did get a little cloudy. A little chlorine bleach will cure that.

Sams club has these coolers on sale for under $30.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1180460&navAction=&_requestid=193589

I have been able to maintain temps in the low 50s by placing ice packs in the corners and changing them in the morning and at night. The insulation factor makes a big difference. I also can chill my wort from boiling to 70 degrees in 30 minutes by placing my 8 gallon pot in it and running a hose so it overflows slowly onto my deck.

No problem with smell though on one 30 day ferment the water did get a little cloudy. A little chlorine bleach will cure that.

I didn't see dimensions on that...can you close the lid, or do you just leave the top open?

I am brewing my first ever beer which is an English style ale and I have used Nottingham yeast. I am on day 2 of fermentation. Temps here are quite high at present (around 70-72F) and temp has been sitting at around 74-76F for the past 2 days. I panicked reading some of the notes above and have just set the fermenting keg in a container half filled with cold water to take down the reading.

Just looking for some reassurance that I have done the right thing. Any help would be great. I have used caramel malts so hoping that the overall flavour won't have been thrown off if I have fermented at too high a temperature. Will I be ok if I monitor temp and keep using the water bath to cool for another 7-10 days? I am not doing secondary...

I am brewing my first ever beer which is an English style ale and I have used Nottingham yeast. I am on day 2 of fermentation. Temps here are quite high at present (around 70-72F) and temp has been sitting at around 74-76F for the past 2 days. I panicked reading some of the notes above and have just set the fermenting keg in a container half filled with cold water to take down the reading.

Just looking for some reassurance that I have done the right thing. Any help would be great. I have used caramel malts so hoping that the overall flavour won't have been thrown off if I have fermented at too high a temperature. Will I be ok if I monitor temp and keep using the water bath to cool for another 7-10 days? I am not doing secondary...

It will probably be fine. We homebrewers can get pretty obsessive. :)

Temp control should be high on the prirority list though.

Latest posts

Back