Note to self-don't store fireworks in the oven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkobos

Reaction score
OK, so maybe not fireworks,but my drying hops on cookie sheet. Very sad times today. My first year cascades put out about 8-9 oz wet. My second harvest of 4 oz was drying on a cookie sheet over night. I figured they'd be safe in the oven where i had warmed them to about 100 degrees last night. Got the call today from swmbo, "why does the kitchen smell like pot"

Nooooooooooooo!!!!

Before and after the destruction:

image-3743195606.jpg

image-1806095669.jpg

Rauchbier!? Sorry to see them roasted like that, and wish I knew of someway to use them so they're not a complete loss. Let us know if you end up doing anything with them, and thanks for sharing the story...even if it's not the best ending!

Cheers.

Shame. Good waste of hops.

Next time, just use a dark closet with a slow blowing fan underneath the hops spread out over a window screen. Dry and cure them in the dark for about two days using just air. Inspect them twice a day. When they're popcorn dry and the leaves are papery, they're done.

Yeah, I was just being lazy given the small volume since it's not even enough to dry hop within most beers. At least I used the first batch in a rye PA that's carbing as we speak.

It's so hard waiting all summer for these little guys to then have them obliterated.

I'm debating using them in an Xmas ale. Of course I don't won't to botch a whole batch either. They still have a mild hop aroma when I break them apart plus a definitive roasty chocolate, coffee smell. Clearly I'm looking for something positive here.

I'll probably toss them though. Just not worth screwing up something that takes a couple months to produce.

Anyone know when sierra's nh harvest is going to hit? I've never had a wet hop ale even though I did it with the rye I've got going. I need a training beer!

I used the grocery store paper bags. Turning them on the sides once a day. Seems to dry them up nicely.

Only bad part is the tiny spiders and caterpillars that live through drying process.

Back