Not washing yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
I have a 3g Kolsch batch that I will be bottling tonight. I do not have time with my schedule to wash the yeast at all right now but will be brewing another again in 2 weeks with this same yeast and want to save the cost. Would it be OK to take the yeast cake and cover it with distilled sterile water and store it cool for the two weeks then shake up and suspend the yeast back into solution and let the trub settle out and use the suspended yeast for the next batch? If so would it be better to make a starter the day prior? Also besides having to be very meticulously sterile any other cons?
Thanks
Ben

If you are using un-washed yeast, it is recommended to use it within 7 days if stored in the fridge. 14 days will be fine too, just make a small starter to "wake" the yeast back up.

There are a ton of threads on here about this, I think the current view is to not pitch onto a yeast cake (overpitching cited). If storing a yeast cake it is recommended to store the yeast under a small layer of beer.

You would probably be better off leaving a little beer in there rather than water. I often just pour the cake into 4 pint sized mason jars (toss the rest), and keep in the fridge. If used within a month, just use one of the jars for the next batch; no starter needed. I've used them after 6 months too, but when I've done that, I've made a starter (to check viability), and then washed the yeast in the starter to get rid of most of the dead yeast cells (but they do act as a nutrient), and then made another starter from the washed yeast.

Thanks. Will put a couple of jars of the cake into the fridge and use these. as I said should only be two weeks. hopefully

Back