Not sure what to do... yeast may be infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LateraLex

Reaction score
Here's the short-hand story. Bought some Conan yeast, made a double batch of IPA. Kegged one batch BATCH1BUCKET1 a few days ago and washed some of the yeast. Made 2 jars, and the leftover larger jar sat on the counter for the last 5 days. I wasn't planning on using it, but didn't want to dump it incase I needed it for something.

Am brewing today, and had the great idea to pitch my new beer on top of the yeast cake of the other half batch (BATCH1BUCKET2) that hasn't been racked yet (so is still sitting pretty). I know that I'd need to use about half of the cake so as not to overpitch.

HOWEVER, I just took a look at the big jar of yeast I had washed 4-5 days ago. This looks infected right? So now I'm not sure if all my Conan yeast is infected, or if I just messed up the washing process. Not sure what to do? As I said the yeast I was planning on using is not pictured - but was part of the same batch. Have I confused everyone? :) I could just end up using dry yeast, but really wanted to try the Conan strain on something else.

20131109_125745.jpg

Yes, its infected. Too much headspace too.Try to get your jars full. Dump it. Just make shure your batch you made doesnt do this. You probably should have refrigerated it after washing it. If you have fresh yeast slurry from a finished batch ,by all means use it, scoop a jar of it up and get it going.

Back