Not sure what happen, but its not fermenting (for now)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven7

Reaction score
Hi,
Last night I did a can of Coopers English Bitter, the expiration date was almost over so I decided to do it.
Everything went well as usual. But at the end, the temperature was to warm, so I waited 1-2hrs to put the yeast. The temperature was 27° so I added the yeast, close the lid and leave it for the night. 13hrs later I went back to see and there's no fermentation!
It doesn't smell bad, its smells like beer but no fermentation, is the yeast dead ? what could happen ?
thanks in advance,

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

Could just be an extended lag time. Lag time can also be extended if the yeast was also near the expiration date. No fermentation after 48 hours is really the time to begin worrying.
Good reason for having extra yeast on hand. Rehydrate your dry yeast for optimum performance when you use it.

This is usually what my wort looks like just before it takes off. I think you're fine. I'm assuming 27 is Celsius. For me, that's a bit high for pitching temps. I typically pitch a couple degrees below my fermentation temps. probably between 18-20C would be best, depending on the style of course ;)

Back