Not supposed to do a starter with dry, but I want to propagate.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyWrench

Reaction score
So with the price of dry yeast skyrocketing, I want to take a virgin packet of dry and grow it and can it, or maybe freeze it.

I hear talk about dry yeast having nutrient built in, and don't do a starter, and yada, yada.

What would the steps be in growing from a single packet of dry? Any special considerations that need to be made with dry yeast as opposed to all the threads out there about liquid, or harvested commercial yeast?

I plan on doing a 1L starter, decant, add yeast to 2L starter, decant, and add yeast to a 4L starter.

After harvesting the yeast from the 4L starter, how much would I want to divide it? Say into 8 pint jars or even more? I'm sure each harvested jar would need to be stepped up in it's own 1L starter prior to pitching, right?

I have a stir plate that can do a gallon jug, but no oxygen. Will this be critical? I also have a bag of yeast nutrient and I would add some to each step-up.

Thanks!

I second the 5 gallon starter, then wash and make starters for each future batch from the saved yeast.

The best way to propagate your yeast is what everyone else is saying, brew a beer, and wash that yeast. That's how you harvest yeast regardless if it was originally wet or dry yeast.

Back