Not-So-Secret-Santa Christmas Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the feedback, inkman15! I'm glad you liked them. The Weizenbock AND the IPA both kicked this weekend. :( I'm completely out of hoppy beer now. Not a good thing. Time to brew!

The Xmas light lager shouldn't be cidery and it had a lovely head on it... it must not have survived the year very well... ah well :(

Let me know how the winter warmer is. I'm thinking cut the honey and the c40 malt a pinch... and I want triple the orange zest. Seasoning seems right.

I just had Finsfan's...

I really like the base beer and the amount of Jameson you used comes out nice. Its not boozy but the flavor is there. Any negatives I'd post about the beer would be personal preference things so nothing is to be said. Nice beer.

For some reason that beer is tasting really weird to me lately. The vanilla and oak are turning almost smokey. I think i will just brew the base recipe again and skip the additions. Cheers!

2) 100% Brett Saison dry hopped with Motueka, 7.7%, Bottle conditioned. Fermented with 100% Brett. This slightly tart brett beer is big on funk and fruitiness of the brett. Motueka adds a slight citrus and just blends well with the beer.

Tried this out tonight.

It was a bit overcarbed and gushed a little but I think you warned me because I knew somehow to open it over the sink. The gushing may have mixed up the trub making it more cloudy. Or maybe it was just a cloudy beer. Either way it was well received.

Aroma: lots of citrus, a touch of banana and LOTS of funk.

Appearance: very cloudy, looked a bit like carbonated muddy waters. Had a light head formation that stuck around for a bit.

Taste: lots of funk all around, some citrus and tropical fruit (likely from the hops), slight bit of sour in the front. Plenty of funk in the back (am I describing a mullet or a beer ).

Mouthfeel: thick and chewy. Lots of bready character that left me feeling like I coated my mouth in funk. (not the bad kind of funk).

Overall: if this had been bottled from a keg to clear it up a bit it would have been even better. But a great beer nonetheless. Have never even heard of montueka hops so I had to look it up to help me figure out what I was tasting. So thank you for educating me and thanks for a nice beer.

View attachment 1419228991768.jpg

View attachment 1419229004176.jpg

Tried this out tonight.

It was a bit overcarbed and gushed a little but I think you warned me because I knew somehow to open it over the sink. The gushing may have mixed up the trub making it more cloudy. Or maybe it was just a cloudy beer. Either way it was well received.

Aroma: lots of citrus, a touch of banana and LOTS of funk.

Appearance: very cloudy, looked a bit like carbonated muddy waters. Had a light head formation that stuck around for a bit.

Taste: lots of funk all around, some citrus and tropical fruit (likely from the hops), slight bit of sour in the front. Plenty of funk in the back (am I describing a mullet or a beer ).

Mouthfeel: thick and chewy. Lots of bready character that left me feeling like I coated my mouth in funk. (not the bad kind of funk).

Overall: if this had been bottled from a keg to clear it up a bit it would have been even better. But a great beer nonetheless. Have never even heard of montueka hops so I had to look it up to help me figure out what I was tasting. So thank you for educating me and thanks for a nice beer.

I'm still figuring out how to bottle carb correctly with brett. I dont know how breweries can carb the hell of a beer but not gush but mine do lol. Its not a fast gusher but it creeps up. The others should be the same or fine.

I bottle condition my Brett and Sours so they will not infect my keggerator and last longer if I do not have them on tap lol.

Glad you enjoyed it and learned something :rockin:

Don't know how this got cut from my last post but I also tried Weezy's Simple Marris Otter IPA with HBC-342.

I loved this beer. Excellent citrusy/tangy nose. Very pungent and funky hop aromas. Even an oniony note and a vinous one as well. Reminded me of Azacca hops that Victory used in Hop Ranch which is one of my favorite all time beers. Light bodied and super dry/crisp. Finishes with a touch of bitterness on the side of the palate. Great stuff. Ordering some HBC 342 for myself!

2nd beer from inkman15. This is a citra SMaSH made with Maris Otter malt. This one was bottle conditioned and has a modest citrus smell. It's a little hazy and my wife tells me the color is topaz but I'd call it dark gold or light bronze. Nice carbonation and a slight mid palate bitterness. The body is light and you can start to detect some of the Maris Otter biscuit but it's difficult for me to describe. I might be tasting a bit of oxidation but no off flavors detected. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! I wish I had dry hopped this one - would have added so much more to the nose.

Just had Hello's Pumpkin Stout with lunch today.. nice being off for Christmas break..:ban:

Lots of pumpkin and some chocolate on the nose...smells pretty amazing...

flavor... sweet and more pumpkiny than pumpkin pie spicy...not very bitter...

Low carbonation, but its just fine with this style...not thin, not thick..

Good beer.

Sweet. The dates on top is that a bottled in date and did you force keg or should I wait on some to open due to bottle carbing?

That's the Bottled on date but they are ready. The pumpkin beer was brewed a year ago and has gotten better as it went (you've got the last one)

Had bford's lime hefewiezen tonight definitely get the lime at first but it fades as it warms giving way to the traditional clove flavor. Once I got past the lime it was almost a perfect example of a hefe (only negative was the head wasn't as thick as I'm used to) all in all a easily drinkable beer

Forgot to get a pic of this one

Had bford's lime hefewiezen tonight definitely get the lime at first but it fades as it warms giving way to the traditional clove flavor. Once I got past the lime it was almost a perfect example of a hefe (only negative was the head wasn't as thick as I'm used to) all in all a easily drinkable beer

Forgot to get a pic of this one

Sweet... it didn't kill you! :ban: ;)

Yeah, that beer really moves from a Limey wheat beer to a hefe as the temp changes... I'm going to cut the limeade down next time.

Just got my package from abeasst. @abeasst any info on these homebrews?

The 2 with RP on the cap are a Rum pumpkin ale and other 2 are a Bourbon vanilla porter. Hopefully they both bottled well. This is the first time I've tried to bottle beer and did it straight from kegs.

Rum Pumpkin Ale, 5% ABV, nice spice aroma and should pour with a decent head. This was the longest beet I've ever brewed and a labor of love. It took 9hrs from start to finish thanks to a lovely stuck mash due to the pumpkin. I was up till 430am finishing it. Since then I have come up with a better system.

Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter: 7% ABV, This is a variation of Denny's BVIP that was made for my son's birth. Not sure how well this held up as I've had carbonation issues with it in the keg and its a little on the older side.

Just opened #2 Espresso Milk Stout.

Poured a nice dark black with a strong brown head that stuck around.

Sweet thick mouthfeel that you want from a milk stout. Excellent roasty and chocolate balance. Finished with the dryness from the coffee. Very very nice beer.

2014-12-22 17.14.00.jpg

Here is my attempt to review some good brews by Marckw

First we have the Imperial IPA. Sweet, with a slight fruit smell. Clear pour with an nice amber color, light on the head. Good hoppy taste that mellows out. Overall, very nice brew, loved this one. Cant find anything to that i would change.

Next is the Imperial Pumpkin IPA. I brewed a spiced winter ale last year and wasn't fond of it at first but it grew on me and i loved it by the end. This defiantly reminds me of it but with a smooth mouth feel. Good head and carbonation. The 7.4 abv is going to be a kicker a few brews in. You weren't kidding about being unfiltered, had a thick layer of yeast in the bottom, still not a bad thing though. Only issue with it was there was only one. haha

Sweet baby jesus! is the last one so far. Can you say peanut butter!! now i can drink beer and get my candy fix at once. I enjoyed the whole experience along with old lady. I hardly get into the odd flavored beers but I'm seeing that may be its time to expand my horizon.

Thanks for a great first taste test marckw!!! looking forward to the rest

#3 Mango Wheat. Nothing better than having a beer while getting the house ready for Christmas.

Pours a dark orange with a light head that leaves a little lacing in the glass. Nice wheat flavors. Mango was a little muddled for me. I was able to smell the mango but it didn't stand out in the flavor (I've had other mango and found them the same way, nice on the nose but I have trouble picking out the mango flavor). All in all a very enjoyable beer.

mango.jpg

7) Pilsing in the Wind Pilsner, 5.9%, Bottled from Keg. Highly hopped Czech Pils. There is a slight Cream corn on the nose but very clean and easy drinking pils.

Tried this out tonight.

Aroma: malty, aroma of noble hops, I didn't quite catch the cream corn you mentioned.

Appearance: slightly cloudy, straw color. Had a thick head that dissipated quickly.

Taste: very bohemian lager I think. Bitter up front with a malty backbone. Noble hops are definitely present in taste. Very tasty and it stayed malty without being overly malty which is a fine line in these pilsners.

Mouthfeel: bready character but smooth on the palate.

Overall: a great pilsner that made me think bohemian. Like I said above its a fine line between malty and too malty and this was dead on that line. Good job with that and thanks for another good beer.

View attachment 1419402279349.jpg

View attachment 1419402290603.jpg

@cmoewes hooked me up!
5nuQuOE.jpg

rSbuaeO.jpg

HnW1kk3.jpg

Any more info on these beers would be great, especially mystery bomber.

Bford's two mo's smash pale ale

Crisp refreshing and very clear the mosaic fruitiness really shines. Nice thick head that lingers to the end. Definitely a beer worth drinking.

The head doesn't really show in the picture since I took a couple of drinks before I remembered the pic

This one has been a big hit, with requests to brew again and again.

@cmoewes hooked me up!
Any more info on these beers would be great, especially mystery bomber.

The 3 Black IIpa were part of a wort giveaway from Lucid brewing for the AHA big brew day. Members got 5 gallons of wort free. I split mine and fermented them each with a different yeast, Kolsch, English Ale and West Coast. Very different results.

BWine14 is my first Barley Wine. This bottle spent some time in a 5L barrel before being bottled.

The saison is 15% rye with Galaxy and Nelson Saivin, fermented with Belle Saison with Hibscus tea added at kegging.

The unlabbeled one (oops) assuming it has "MS" on the cap is a Milk Stout (my first ever). I modified my porter recipe to push it onto the roasty side of a stout and then added milk sugar.

The cream ale was for a homebrew club challenge.

The wheat beer was for a party we had. It was quite literally the last of the keg. I filled that bottle and then went to fill another and the keg kicked.

Hops you enjoy at least a few of them.

Awesome im super excited, think I should let the Barley wine age more or is it more of a drink it now type deal.

Awesome im super excited, think I should let the Barley wine age more or is it more of a drink it now type deal.

I kegged the other 3 gallons with some Amarillo added and it's drinking pretty nice. The oak was a little strong when I bottled it but it's nearly 4 months old so it could go either way.

I brewed today so its totally normal and possibly mandatory given the day if i start drinking at like 8am right?

Hopefully the first of many Christmas beers today.
Fxa6wSM.jpg

Fill level was good and bottle appeared in decent condition despite sitting in freezing cold all week in the back of a truck so thats good news. Pour pretty dark but you can tell it has decent clarity when looking at the edge of the glass. Pours with a decent size 1 finger head that dosnt hang around too long despite its adaquate and possibly higher than average carbonation.

In the aroma there is roast, chocolate, alochol (no idea what the abv is on this beer but that might point to the limited head retention. ) Verry little hops despite it being an ipa, I get some frutiy esters most likely from the English yeast. The hops that are there have an earthy english like smell but it is faint. from the smell I would have not guessed this is an ipa. It smells pretty close to yoopers oatmeal stout that is aloso fermented with an english yeast, less fruit but similar. fermented with an english yeast, less fruit but similar.

Flavor is that of roast and chocolate but it is thin, porter like. It comes across as dry slightly sweet and a smooth bitterness on the back. Slight alochol at the roof of my mouth and back of my throat. I honestly am not getting any hop flavor only bitterness.

mouth feel is thin and drying, leaves you ready for another drink.

Overall this beer is decent but I would not call it an IPA. I dont notice any off flavors in the aroma or flavor. My thoughts are this beer is getting old or there were just not enough late addition hops and or dry hops to make it an IPA. The beer appears to have good brewing and fermenting practices but the recipe needs some tweaking, especially in the hop department. I do look forward to the two others I have that were made with the same wort and just different yeast though to see what flavors get lost and added.
:mug:

EDIT: Noticed that the bottle says IIPA not IPA so that explains alot of the alocol i was getting, and am currently feeling after just the one.

Drinking the pumpkin ale from inkman15. This one has a nice copper color and creamy head. A fair amount of carbonation, which I like. Mild spice in the nose and flavor. This is exactly what I like in a spiced beer. Very clean flavor and just enough bitterness. Very well done! That's my rescue poodle in the background.

Pumpkin Ale .jpg

Drinking the pumpkin ale from inkman15. This one has a nice copper color and creamy head. A fair amount of carbonation, which I like. Mild spice in the nose and flavor. This is exactly what I like in a spiced beer. Very clean flavor and just enough bitterness. Very well done! That's my rescue poodle in the background.

Thanks for the thoughts! We added spices at bottling to up the aroma and flavor but tried not to overdo it. Glad you liked it. Nice poodle too haha

3) Gose Straight to the Head, 7%, Bottled from keg. Sour Mashed Gose. Tart, salty absolutely hit the nail on the head with this one. Think of it as a more balanced Westbrook gose. I think it is up there with that one.

Tried this out tonight. Gotta say it is currently my favorite of yours. But there is still more to try. I do want this recipe though.

Appearance: straw yellow, Crystal clear with a thick, fluffy head .

Aroma: mostly malt with a bit of citrus.

Taste: you really did hit the nail on the head with this one. Slightly salty with sour upfront, but wait there's more, the sour stays with you all the way to the finish. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: felt almost like drinking a sour patch kid that never goes sweet. Very smooth Mouthfeel feel coupled by a an assault of sour.

Overall: I loved this beer. Could easily take gold in a competition imo. Please post recipe.

View attachment 1419731419661.jpg

View attachment 1419731430357.jpg

Tried this out tonight. Gotta say it is currently my favorite of yours. But there is still more to try. I do want this recipe though.

Appearance: straw yellow, Crystal clear with a thick, fluffy head .

Aroma: mostly malt with a bit of citrus.

Taste: you really did hit the nail on the head with this one. Slightly salty with sour upfront, but wait there's more, the sour stays with you all the way to the finish. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: felt almost like drinking a sour patch kid that never goes sweet. Very smooth Mouthfeel feel coupled by a an assault of sour.

Overall: I loved this beer. Could easily take gold in a competition imo. Please post recipe.

Glad you enjoyed it. Im proud of that one. Ill post the recipe soon. Its simple just need to prep a little. The recipe has been requested before. Once i post it ill let you know. Need to brew that again. The keg is getting low lol. Hope that one does not tarnish the others lol

@hello

haha, I'll type up full descriptions asap, sorry about that.

Wine is a cab merlot blend.
PP = Pecan porter
ALA = American Light Ale (that one needs some explaining)
IPA = IPA
MSA = Maple Syrup Ale

On the commercial brews I tried to pick regional beers that didn't have much distribution out of the area and that you probably didn't get in a previous swap.

The tape.....In a gross overestimation when painting, I bought the "contractors pack" and I'm still working on it years later.
Drinking your pecan porter. The sweet smell is nice. I don't get a ton of pecan but it's there. I like the feel of it. Definitely a solid brew. Nice work.

Here's my review of abeasst beers.

Bourbon Vanilla Porter:
IMAG1679_zpsiedawcb7.jpg

• Minimal head, disappears quick
• Very dark
• Aroma has some hints of chocolate
• Mouthfeel very light and crisp cause of carbonation
• Taste lots of chocolate, some coffee
• Very slight vanilla as the beer warms up
• Dry finish
• Pretty decent beer

Rum Pumpkin Ale: