Not Red's Apple Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolus14

Reaction score
Looking at brewing the recipe from http://www.greatfermentations.com/apple-ale-recipe/ and was wondering if anybody has tried it and has any input.

I have already picked up the grains and will be getting the cider today and brewing tomorrow. Only changes I'm making are using just El Dorado hops and using WLP 023 for yeast. I figure I'll either get a little more apple flavor from the yeast or not much of a difference than if I used an American Ale strain, plus ill be bottling an Amber and using some of the yeast from that so no need for a starter either.

One last modification, store didn't have cider without pottassium sorbate so I when with Natural Style Apple Juice, hopefully it still works out.

Last edited:
Brew day went pretty well, OG was a little lower than the recipe stated, I hit 1.052 instead of 1.055 but that could be because the Apple Juice OG was 1.047 and not 1.050.

The wort had a good caramel apple like taste, not overly sweet like an actual caramel apple but seemed to blend well. If anything the AJ was a little more prominant than I'm looking for but I imagine that will tone down once it fermented...now we wait.

Brew day went pretty well, OG was a little lower than the recipe stated, I hit 1.052 instead of 1.055 but that could be because the Apple Juice OG was 1.047 and not 1.050.

The wort had a good caramel apple like taste, not overly sweet like an actual caramel apple but seemed to blend well. If anything the AJ was a little more prominant than I'm looking for but I imagine that will tone down once it fermented...now we wait.
How did this turn out?

Latest posts

Back