Not Really, Just Time to Get Going on a Summer 2013 Cream Ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Its a beautiful Saturday morning, 47F now at 7:20am and supposed to get up to 65F, 5-10 mph winds, so I think I'm going to set up on the back patio and brew. Have been brewing in the garage the last few times because of wind, so this will be nice.

Going to brew up a batch of Cream Ale for the summer. Am going to try upping the corn in it, as an experiment, to about 15% of the fermentables. Will pitch Edinburgh yeast and build a big ol' yeast cake for my next beer, a Wee Heavy, which I'll brew next weekend, perhaps.

Oh and my 21 y/o boy is coming home this morning - wants a break from a campus and will be spending the night, so he'll help brew, too.

This is the recipe I did last summer http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Cream_Ale.html

Changes for this time: lower og, more corn, hops will be American Hallertauer rather than Saphir, yeast will be Edinburgh rather than American Ale. Will mash at 150F.

Here's the recipe for today:

Midsommar Cream Ale Summer 2013
Cream Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 4/27/2013
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: Jim
Boil Size: 7.14 gal Asst Brewer: Hugh
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.82 %
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 18.18 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (20 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.47 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 19.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.5 SRM Color: Color
28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Looks pretty good to me. I've done a CA with 19% flaked corn and it was a big hit with all who drank it. Served it at our wedding shower and it went quickly.

Looks pretty good to me. I've done a CA with 19% flaked corn and it was a big hit with all who drank it. Served it at our wedding shower and it went quickly.

Great! The folks in the homebrew club I've talked with use a smaller percentage, but I wanted to give it a shot - good to know that others have done it and liked it.

Back