Not paying attention to my partial grain recipe....how bad will it turn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well needless to say, I was in a hurry and not paying close enough attention. It's been a year since my last brew and I was trying to crank out some home improvement projects at the same time so I managed to fail to follow the partial grain recipe for fat tire. Just wondering g if you guys have some advice on how or if it will turn out. Here's what I did- I got to the last 15 min, after i put in 6lbs of malt extract and realized I didn't steep my grains. So I cooled to 160, tossed them in for 15 min, brought up to 170 and pulled it out. At that point figuring I probably killed the flavor and maybe soaked up some sugars I decided to experiment as throw in 5oz of honey. From there I added the last hop addition and boiled it off the last 15 min. Lastly, I pitched the yeast then aerated, which I believe is backwards. So, I know if got some abuse coming, but do you guys think this will be ok? Thanks- Jon

As long as those were grains that didn't need actual mashing, I think you'll be okay. It's not ideal, but okay. However, if you boiled the honey, you'll get little or no discernable honey note in the final product. (If you bottle with honey as the primer, however, you will.)

It could have been far far worse. Honestly I don't think it will taste bad. It probably won't taste like it should but it will still be a decent beer.

Back