not just another wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing this weekend and have been kicking around the idea of adding more to a wheat beer than just extract and hops. I am looking for feedback on what I have come up with:
6.6 lbs. Wheat Malt extract
1.0 lbs. Carapils
1.1 lbs. Local Honey
1.0 oz. Tettnang hops
1.0 oz. Saaz hops
1.0 oz. Sweet orange peel

Steep the Carapils for 20 minutes, add extract and Tettnang, do a 60 minute boil. Add Saaz with 5 minutes remaining and honey and orange peel at flame out.

I am planning on brewing this weekend and have been kicking around the idea of adding more to a wheat beer than just extract and hops. I am looking for feedback on what I have come up with:
6.6 lbs. Wheat Malt extract
1.0 lbs. Carapils
1.1 lbs. Local Honey
1.0 oz. Tettnang hops
1.0 oz. Saaz hops
1.0 oz. Sweet orange peel

Steep the Carapils for 20 minutes, add extract and Tettnang, do a 60 minute boil. Add Saaz with 5 minutes remaining and honey and orange peel at flame out.
Not sure if steeping the carapils is worth it. Steeping alone may add undesired sweetness. Contrary to the advertising of it there are actually some fermentable sugars in carapils. Scott janish that a 50% carapils beer that fermented all the way down to 1.014.
https://scottjanish.com/dextrins-and-mouthfeel/
If you're really wanting to use it to contribute to now Phil perhaps use the advice and some of his final thoughts:
"Only limit dextrinase (hence the name) has the ability to break down dextrins. Limit dextrinase activity is greatly reduced as the temperature of the mash increases. The temperatures of a protein rest (113-138°F) is likely the best environment to encourage limit dextrinase activity. Hot mashes on the other hand held around 158°F will likely end all limit dextrinase activity fairly quickly."

With wheat extract, you should have a decent mouth feel without it.
My .02

I don't think steeping a full pound of carapils is going to have the effect that you want. I've never put more that 8 oz. of carapils in a full 5 gallon all grain batch.

You could do a mini mash. For a 5 gallon batch I would do

1 pound of 2-row (I wouldn't have an issue pushing this to 2 or even 3 pounds)
8 oz. cararpils

Heat that up to 150 and leave it there for about 30 minutes. Proceed with the rest of your recipe as you described.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Good luck!

Wheat already has a good mouthfeel and head retention. Already so the carapils isn't really usefull unless you are wanting a small bit if residual sweetness

Perhaps oats or flaked wheat in a mini-mash would be what you are looking for.

As for the orange peel and honey, the peel is used in witbiers to great success so will be probably great, while the honey will initially dry the beer out with little flavour but if aged the flavour will return.

Perhaps steeping some honey malt (very little since it has a strong flavour) if you are looking for honey flavour?

Brew day is complete, and I cannot wait to try the finished product. I skipped the carapils and did a mini mash using two pounds of 2-row. The LHBS was out of Saaz so I picked up Lemondrop instead. From tasting the sample, it's going to be very good.

Back