Not having enough DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omegaman13

Reaction score
So I had to make a yeast starter the other day and had about 2/3 of the required amount of DME for Wyeast. Is this a problem in the long run? If so, would you recommend just waiting until I can make it the right way? I would be out 7 bucks for the yeast, but I also don't want to ruin the rest of the 35 dollar grain bill.

No I was making a starter and found out that I didn't have enough and tried make it any ways, sorry for the confusion.

No problem at all.

If I had been in your situation, I probably would have held off until I got more DME or, if I thought my batch could handle it, made a smaller starter.

If you are brewing a typical OG beer (i.e., around 1.045-1.055), you can probably go with what you have and see little, if any, problem. If you can spare the time, though, I recommend trying to step up your starter to the typical 1.040. You probably made a starter with an OG around 1.030, so that might shock your yeast a little when you pitch to your wort.

Really, unless you are pitching into 1.060+ wort, we are talking about the difference between damn fine beer and gold medal beer, so weigh the pros and cons accordingly.

TL

Back