Not decanting a starter = underpitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog7

Reaction score
So underpitching yeast is bad because you get certain estery and diacetyl flavors from the longer growth period the yeast have to undertake until they reach the needed cell count.

Since it is the yeast's growth that produces the off flavors, does that mean that if you don't decant the wort from the slurry of a starter that those compounds they have produced follow them into the beer and you end up with them anyways? Or are they there but to a lesser extent?

It's more that the starter beer is oxidized and thus tastes terrible. Especially if it's been on a stirplate.

Well it seems to me that alot of people, me included, pitch the whole starter while it is active and I am wondering if there are, or why there aren't, those off-flavors associated with underpitching.

They are there but are so diluted with good beer that you usually cant taste the difference.
Darker more flavorful beers are much more forgiving than lets say an american light lager. Also If your starter is pretty big you could run the risk of being able to taste something.

Yes, I think it also really depends on the ratio of the volume of the starter to the volume of wort. The bigger the starter, the more it will effect the flavor of your beer.

If you want to compare, you could brew two batches (or split a single batch), then pitch a decanted starter into one and a full starter into the other.

Okay so then how is underpitching different than pitching your starter wort with the yeast? The yeast still goes from x amount of cells to y amount of cells in both cases, and in both cases the flavors from that growth are left in the beer.

Okay. So it isn't the growth of the yeast but it is the rate of growth that affects the flavors it produces.

Those things definitely affect the flavors, but regarding your question it's more the rate of pitching. Meaning, the ratio of yeast cells to sugars (i.e., wort volume & gravity)

So with a starter, you pitch small number of cells to small amount of wort. The cells multiply until you have a big number of cells.
Then you pitch a big number of cells into a big amount of wort.

So the ratio is similar and you never are underpitching.

When you're making a starter, you typically have a 1.040 wort, so you're overpitching if you were to think of the starter as a beer. Starter beer tastes bad because it is intentionally oxidized, not because it is esthery or has diacetyl. Unless you have a very high OG beer and want to mazimize fermentation start, you're better off cooling / decanting the oxidized beer.

Most of us are pitching starters of about 2 liters into about 19 liters of wort. The starter only makes up about 1/10 of finished product so any off flavors are pretty diluted.

Isn't the hops (or the hop oils for the lack of a better term) in the beer the source of oxidation off flavors?
And for starters, its typically made with just DME. So can starter wort even generate off flavors from oxidation?

Isn't the hops (or the hop oils for the lack of a better term) in the beer the source of oxidation off flavors?
And for starters, its typically made with just DME. So can starter wort even generate off flavors from oxidation?

Try a sip of starter wort; that'll answer your question

Oxidation is from mixing oxygen & a lot of other compounds in the beer. (Protein, fatty, hop oils, polyphenols ....) This why a light lager gets a papery/cardboard, while bocks can get a sherry flavor from oxidation. The darker malts (or lack of) react differently to oxidation.

Well it seems to me that alot of people, me included, pitch the whole starter while it is active and I am wondering if there are, or why there aren't, those off-flavors associated with underpitching.

Pitching the whole starter or just the decanted yeast is a different discussion than over/under pitching. Underpitching is using too little yeast for the gravity/volume of your beer. Overpitching is using too much yeast.

Okay so then how is underpitching different than pitching your starter wort with the yeast? The yeast still goes from x amount of cells to y amount of cells in both cases, and in both cases the flavors from that growth are left in the beer.

Apples and oranges. You're talking about whether to pour used up beer along with the yeast into the wort, which is a whole different animal. It has nothing to do with pitching rates, and the flavors are completely different. It's almost like saying "whats the difference in pitching a vial of liquid yeast vs. a vial of liquid yeast plus 2 past-date bottles of Corona."

Note that it's different if your starter is at high krausen -> there are cases where you'd want to do this (e.g. you forgot to make a starter the night before). In this case yeast is still in suspension, and the starter wort isn't completely bad.

Okay. So it isn't the growth of the yeast but it is the rate of growth that affects the flavors it produces.

Correct. With yeast, growth = reproduction. The faster they grow, the more they're stressed. Stressed people put bad odors into the air, and stressed yeast put bad chemicals into the beer. Also, yeast that has a lot of sugar available eat a lot reproduce a lot, and poop a lot really fast. Just like when people gorge themselves, it can be nasty. And some of those nasty chemicals linger ...

If they grow really slowly then they poop out very little flavor chemicals (good or off-flavored). Different yeasts produce different flavors.

In some beers you WANT off flavors and underpitch intentionally. The clove/banana flavors in hefeweizen and belgian beers are off flavors. If you overpitch those they'll be blah.

By the same logic you don't want that your American IPA to taste like banana - it'll clash with the hops. And the american ale yeast's off flavors also include paint thinner, bad medicine, and band-aids. Not good eats.

Note that fermentation temperature has a HUGE impact on this as well, but that's a different post.

When you're making a starter, you typically have a 1.040 wort, so you're overpitching if you were to think of the starter as a beer. Starter beer tastes bad because it is intentionally oxidized, not because it is esthery or has diacetyl. Unless you have a very high OG beer and want to mazimize fermentation start, you're better off cooling / decanting the oxidized beer.

This ^

Oxidation comes from oxygen, so you can get different off flavors from anything. Bad (oxidized) hops, old stale DME/LME, etc. will lead to off flavors (skunky, stale, etc.). However, putting oxygen directly into beer after it's done fermenting is the main culprit behind oxidized beer flavor like butter and wet cardboard.

Thanks a lot guys for your help. Lots of good information.

Brewguyver, how do you know what band-aids taste like?

Birddog7 said:
Thanks a lot guys for your help. Lots of good information.

Brewguyver, how do you know what band-aids taste like?

I use my teeth for a lot of things I shouldn't. They taste a bit like athletic tape. Not bad, but not something I'd want in my beer.

Latest posts

Back