not conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littled630

Reaction score
I bottle two weeks ago and was looking at my bottles today and noticed there is a settling on the bottom and the beer is still slightly hazy. I gently mixed the sediment up into the beer but it just re settled. I also notice one or two particles floating in the beer. Did something go wrong, or does homebrew just not clear up as clear as store bought beer? This was an extract 1 gal batch ale.

Most homebrew will be cloudier than store bought beer. It is probably fine.

There are several things you can try if you would like the beer to be clearer next time, ie cold crashing, gelatin, filters etc.

In the meantime, make sure it is chilled and that you pour slowly. You want that layer to stay on the bottom.

If givin more time it will clear, they all do, eventually. I'd be willing to bet you will love the taste right now though.

Ok but i dont chill till its been bottled for 3 weeks right?

Correct. When drinking it, chilling will help those particles and the remaining yeast settle to the bottom and sort of stick down there. You can get them pretty clear after they've aged a few weeks.

Yeah i know new glarus brewing here in wisconsin has spotted cow and when they sit to long the yeast will settle but you set it on its side and gently roll it back and forth and it re incorporates into the beer!

Does all grain usually end up cloudy too. Cause it seems like it is clear until i prime. Seems like its the primer that clouds it up.

Does all grain usually end up cloudy too. Cause it seems like it is clear until i prime. Seems like its the primer that clouds it up.

No, neither extract nor all-grain are cloudy. If they are, it's the fault of the brewer and not the ingredients.

It's totally possible to get clear beer even on the first batch, and for me clarity is important. I know it's just aesthetics, but I don't want to drink murky beer. A little hops haze is fine, or a little haze in a wheat beer is cool. But I'm not drinking something that looks murky!

Thats my problem i want really clear beer that looks appealing but it seems like priming it made it hazy its not like cloudy like when racking to secondary but its still not the clearity i was expecting

Thats my problem i want really clear beer that looks appealing but it seems like priming it made it hazy its not like cloudy like when racking to secondary but its still not the clearity i was expecting

here's an IPA of mine:

dscf0552-22709.jpg

There isn't any reason that if the beer was clear before priming that it won't be again.

Yeah just did an expirement. Took a New Glarus Spotted Cow(known for having sediment on the bottom that New Glarus suggests reincorporating into the beer)and i rolled the bottle gently to reincorporate the sediment and held it to my bottling light next to one of my bottles i bottled last night. At worst my ale was identical looking to the reincorporated spotted cow, possibly slightly clearer. I also read you can fridge it and then enjoy from a glass to get optimal clearity. Might just roll and enjoy from bottle though:) New Glarus claims thats the yeast and its full of vitamins and protiens. http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/general/faq about the fifth one from the bottom is what im talking about.

Once it carbs up, the yeast and other sediment will fall to the bottom. If you then chill the beer in the fridge for a while, that sediment will usually for a pretty tight little yeast cake (it's very small). If you use a yeast strain like nottingham or S04, it'll form a very tightly compacted trub layer. Other yeast strains may not form a tight layer, but they will still drop out.

If you keep the bottle still in the fridge and don't disturb the yeast layer when you pour, your beer should be as clear as mine.

It's best to pour in one motion, and to fill a glass with that pour, instead of going up and down with the bottle (which would resuspend on that stuff). Then, just leave 1/4" of beer/yeast in the bottle at the end of the pour.

There are lots of "how tos" on this site and on youtube and things that show how to pour a perfect homebrew.

Latest posts

Back