Not brewing for a while..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
Has completely taken my enthusiasm to brew away. Has this happen to others? I am finally going to move into my new house on the 5th. I will have a new electric brew system and an awesome brewery that was built out. but the last thing i want to do right now is set it up and start brewing. I normally know what i want to brew but i start working on a recipe and just give up half way in.

I know once i start brewing all the beer bums will come out of the wood work and start asking for beer or expect it. If you share with one person someone ends up bent out of shape they didn't get any and its people who just drink to get drunk or don't even care about beer. This is one reason i moved up from 5G to a 10G system. I also know i have to figure out all the numbers for the new system and learn how to use it. Part of the fun for most but i burnt out building it.

For those who needed to take a break, what captured your interest to start brewing again? I should add i took the second week of December off to brew and set everything up.

I think interest will build up slowly once one makes the first batch. Interacting with that first brew sort of paves the way to the next. It is what I've noticed for myself. If you hate the entire process the first time, then uh-oh.

It sounds like there is a "not-fun" aspect that can affect your personal enjoyment of the hobby. Who wants negativity attached to something they enjoy doing? I would firmly shed those elements if at all possible.

I've been there... Got busy with work after a move and couldn't be bothered with ordering ingredients, dealing with bottles and all of the stuff that isn't fun. Also brewing beers specificalpy for other people is kind of fun.

Regarding your first beer on the new system, I agree, keep it simple. That's what I did for the first batch and I'm glad I did because I made a couple mistakes. The next one I did a really complex step mash just to see how close my system was to the calculators. Turned out to be a good learning experience.

I guess try to find the joy in it, whether it's brewing your favorite style, brewing with friends, brewing for someone else or a party, brew with some new challenge in mind like cloning something... It's up to you but I bet after getting started back up, you'll get into it.

I think trying to clone some of my favorite beers and brewing with friends who have never brewed is what gets me excited about it.

I'm going through the same thing right now. I had an insanely chaotic summer...we bought a house (that came with "Projects"), prepped and sold our house, moved, and I've been swamped with the projects since the move. The new house has a spot for me to brew, but it's full of crap from the move that we haven't unpacked, so I really have no brew space yet.

I don't know if it's dealing with the stuff that's occupying my brew space or what, but I'm not super fired up about brewing. I'm pretty sure my desire will be rekindled when I get things set up, but right now it feels like I felt when my band broke up...I just didn't want to deal with the hassles of putting together a new band, working up songs and earning a new reputation. I had my old brewing area all set up and had an established process.

With the new place, there willl be many aspects that are nicer, but I still have to go through the pains of establishing the process. I'm struggling with motivation to do that.

Two things = Don't tell anyone you have beer. Then the leaches won't bother you.

Second, take your time setting up your new equipment. Once it is all together you will probably want to make it work. As to dialing it in, start simple so that even if things are not right it is a simple beer that probably will not be bad if things are a little off. Once you have things pretty well dialed in you can progress to more complicated and more expensive recipes.

I have not brewed since July 5th. It is too hot for propane brewing in the summer in Florida and I had other projects that were consuming my time. I am looking at electric so I can brew inside. Even without it as soon as I am finished with the current project it is time to brew again.

I felt this way about brewing for about 6 months a couple years ago. I wanted to brew but when I thought of breaking out all the gear, figuring out what I wanted to make, then cleaning it all up, just seemed like a total drag. I'm known for beer in several different circles of friends and family so naturally whenever any small talk came up I'd be asked, "where's all the beer?" I treat these beer leeches just like social media "friends." If you have to ask me what I've been up to then you aren't a close friend and I don't care about giving you free beer.

What got me over the hump was getting stoked on brewing other styles. I got pretty into German traditional styles and decotion mashing, open fermentation, and other new-to-me aspects of brewing. I also realized I was depressed. When things you used to love become not so much fun anymore it can be a sign of depression. Mine wasn't crucially bad or anything but it was enough to make the whole brewing process just too much to bother with. I got active in other hobbies, got back in touch with my good friends, and it all came back when I brewed a nice summer kolsch for the first time. Once I had that beer on tap I regained my love of brewing and was much more into it.

Some times you just need a break from stuff. Stay active, keep busy, and above all stay positive. It'll all workout the way it's supposed to.

LOL, i've been brewing 10g batches once a week for 15 years or so, the fun wore off a long time ago. now it's a survival thing....(not only the money, but the free thinking)

I love this community! You guys are awesome. I typed that last night and was thinking i just sound ungrateful. You guys really hit a few issues spot on maybe I'm a bit depressed living with the in laws is taking a toll .I might be over thinking the first beer as well.

It's nice to know its not just me that has felt this way. Hopefully just jumping into it and getting the first brew out of the way sparks my interest again.

I think not telling people I have beer or brewing might be the awanser its a shame because I love talking about it. I offered to brew for my sister in laws wedding in June so that gives me something to work on. They requested a pilsner, pale ale and blueberry cider.

I really appreciate everyone sharing.

Lots of good responses. I think your last response is right on as well. Brew for yourself, because you want to. The wedding sounds like a great motivator as well.
Good luck to you.

I had a really long hiatus that was health related. I had just upgraded to be able to do 20g batches. People coming buy all the time. Giving people cases during the holidays. I was bottling mostly in 750's. Only asked that they drop the glass back off. Never saw any of the glass. Funny, I quit offering and none of the moochers slide by anymore. I miss none of them by the way. If they do stop by, they are never packing. It burnt me out. I still have the big rig, but just finished a small 5g setup. Returning back to my original 10g kettle is going to allow me to brew more. I've learned to brew for myself. I also realized I loved the time to myself. Take time for yourself. All the jobs and chores are more enjoyable with a homebrew in the hand!!!

I had a really long hiatus that was health related. I had just upgraded to be able to do 20g batches. People coming buy all the time. Giving people cases during the holidays. I was bottling mostly in 750's. Only asked that they drop the glass back off. Never saw any of the glass. Funny, I quit offering and none of the moochers slide by anymore. I miss none of them by the way. If they do stop by, they are never packing. It burnt me out. I still have the big rig, but just finished a small 5g setup. Returning back to my original 10g kettle is going to allow me to brew more. I've learned to brew for myself. I also realized I loved the time to myself. Take time for yourself. All the jobs and chores are more enjoyable with a homebrew in the hand!!!

"All the jobs and chores are more enjoyable with a homebrew in the hand!!!"

This is so true! the time alone is also great. my last set up had me brewing outside in big snow storms felt like an adventure. I loved it in a strange way.

I assume you are well now? If so cheers to great health going forward.

Never, ever give beer to anyone who expects it or won't appreciate it. Screw those people.

Just brew a batch. You'll probably get back into it.

@Jako you have a lot going on right now, and unpacking isn’t always a quick process. Stress piles up even when doing something fun. With the holiday season here I’ve packed up my beer gear (I brew in the kitchen) I won’t brew a beer until after Xmas, but I have honey for a mead less time and equipment needed, so that’s how I keep my interest up.

There are lots of good suggestions here already. YES, separate from those moochers! Your hesitation for using the new system makes sense to me, you’ll probably have to adjust your process a little, and that takes some energy, so keeping the first brew simple is a good approach.

Whatever you decide about when to start up again make it fun, even if it feels a little challenging.

Has completely taken my enthusiasm to brew away. Has this happen to others? I am finally going to move into my new house on the 5th. I will have a new electric brew system and an awesome brewery that was built out. but the last thing i want to do right now is set it up and start brewing. I normally know what i want to brew but i start working on a recipe and just give up half way in.

I know once i start brewing all the beer bums will come out of the wood work and start asking for beer or expect it. If you share with one person someone ends up bent out of shape they didn't get any and its people who just drink to get drunk or don't even care about beer. This is one reason i moved up from 5G to a 10G system. I also know i have to figure out all the numbers for the new system and learn how to use it. Part of the fun for most but i burnt out building it.

For those who needed to take a break, what captured your interest to start brewing again? I should add i took the second week of December off to brew and set everything up.
only reasons I take a break from brewing are-
1) if I really dont have the time or
2)the temperatures keep me from it.
I work construction so if im doing a lot of hours, all I want to do is rest when i have a day off. In the summer temps outside were in the high 90s and my basement was too warm to ferment, so I didnt brew.
3) I dont have enough bottles. lol.

I almost always have a recipe supply of grains (or 2) on hand for my next brew and a LHBS within 30 minutes.

The last tie I had a slump, we were trying to get a house ready to sell, move into a new house, and get ready for a baby. Before the move, I brewed a bunch of styles that would keep and stashed the bottles in the basement of my office. I ended up brewing a 6 mo supply of homebrew. After that I was burnt out, I didn't brew again for another 9 months. I started feeling guilty, but reminded me that ultimately it was a hobby. I had no obligations to brew if I didn't want. My wife was actually the one that encouraged me to start brewing again. That batch steam rolled into others. I started trying to brew better session (<4%) batches. Bought a new kettle. Now I'm sitting at work on a homebrew forum instead of reports...

I think not telling people I have beer or brewing might be the awanser its a shame because I love talking about it. I offered to brew for my sister in laws wedding in June so that gives me something to work on. They requested a pilsner, pale ale and blueberry cider.

Go ahead and talk about brewing, just don't tell them you have any. A little white lie. Say the beer is still aging. That should cover everything including the fact that it is ready to drink. It is aging! Not necessarily to get better.

"All the jobs and chores are more enjoyable with a homebrew in the hand!!!"

This is so true! the time alone is also great. my last set up had me brewing outside in big snow storms felt like an adventure. I loved it in a strange way.

I assume you are well now? If so cheers to great health going forward.

I’m as good as I’m going to get. I’m a 6 million $$ man, though I won’t make ya call me Lee Majors. [emoji41]
Thanks for asking.
By the way, I brew outside and I too like it strangely. Wind today knocked me out. It has its disadvantages. I put up a nice privacy screen. People driving by called the cops twice. Once I was cooking meth, and the other I was running a still. [emoji849] I’m glad I came to my senses. Brewing is almost a spiritual endeavor.

I'm there now, kinda. I moved to a new house two years ago, had to set up a new brew area, bought a new system, and just as I was getting ready to run my first batch on my new system at my new house I found out the LHBS closed. I don't mind ordering stuff online, but I really prefer having a local expert to talk to and help me when I have questions or problems.

TLDR: sometimes the urge to brew comes and goes. Wait it out, sometimes you just need a break to rediscover passion.

I got my 1st Mr. Beer homebrew kit the Xmas of 1998. I’ve been (mostly) brewing ever since. I’ve had ebbs and flows in that time, and am currently coming off an extended hiatus. It’s been a good 2 years since I have brewed proper.

Like many others I started off extract, then extract with tweaks, then partial mash, then all grain and on and on. With the kit beers it was fun and different, and I definitely enjoyed the process and “science” more so than the beer it created.

After experimenting and finally going all grain, I started collecting more and more stuff. At first it was just whatever large pot the wife had in kitchen, then it was buying a dedicated pot, then a burner to move outdoors, then a purpose built kettle, then a bigger kettle for more beer, kegs, kegerator, stir plates, CFC chillers and more and more and more.

I brewed as a form of relaxation, and there was always a bunch of people over on brew days. I brewed for events for clubs I am in, friends weddings, family get togethers, parties etc. I never minded, all I asked for was to be reimbursed for grains and such, unless I was doing it as a donation/gift. I never really had “friends” that just came over for free beer, or none that I noticed. I bought a 20 and 25 gallon stainless steel stock pot from a restaurant supply store, hurricane burners, converted over to natural gas, welded a brew stand...yada yada yada. Point being beer was always on hand. Way more than I could drink, and sometimes ever more than I had place to store.

I converted an area under my basement stairs, along with a section of wall and base cabinets, with accompanying counter space as storage for all the brew stuff I have accumulated over the years. Even though I tried to keep things organized, and would use tool boxes converted to house pumps and silicone tubing with Ts and shut offs and everything I could think of to make brew day more efficient and effective, it was still a bus load of work getting set up on brew days.

Brew days were long, especially when brew buddies cannot always make it over. Though not fault of their own, people get married, have children, get grown up responsibilities. Still a set of missing hands only increases the work load. Every time I would set up and tear down, I always secretly promised myself I was going to go all electric. Especially in the Cleveland winters.

I went bigger and bigger on my batch sizes, justifying it as less brew days means less set up and tear down, but ultimately, though it may have been less brew days, going bigger seamed to increase workload. Heavier kettles to carry up and down stairs, more grains to scoop and clean, longer cooling times, bigger yeast pitches, blah blah blah. It started losing all the relaxing qualities that it once had, especially on days it was just me and the wife.

I did start doing BIAB on our stove top with some old equipment I still had, and that helped to scratch the itch, but again the set up and tear down, not to mention the wife being nine too happy with me taking complete control over the kitchen on brew days, was just such a pain in the arse, that eventually even that stopped. I needed a dedicated area to brew. One that was mine, could be set up permanently, so I didn’t have to pack and unpack every brew day. I cleared out a space in the basement, by the washer and dryer (because there was an existing floor drain that room, and proximity to panel), got some cabinets and some countertops, installed 2 utility sinks, started researching KALs electric brewery build.......then got super busy at work. That was over 2 years ago.

I was going to build my own electric brewery, but fact is work is still busy, and I don’t necessarily think I want to spend my precious off time cobbling together what I need. I enjoy it, but at this point in my life, I am trying to take on less projects, and finish up the current ones. I have really been missing brewing for the past 6 months or so. Really missing it. Especially running in to friends that I haven’t seen in a while and them asking what beer I am working on now, and I awkwardly have to admit that I haven’t brewed in a long time.

On Monday I ordered the 3 vessel electric system from Ss Brewtech. I have their fermenters and various other things, so I decided just to go with them. It will serve the purposes that I want. I have gone through my “imperial everything” phase, the more the better phase, the “everything is better with bacon” adjunct phase, and the “I bet I can get 10 pounds of hops in to this 1 gallon batch” phase. I past that. I enjoy making and drinking “simple beers”, a balanced pale ale, Belgian table beers, an ester bomb hefe, a basic porter. That’s all I will brewing at home.

I still have some work to finish on getting the basement “brewery” ready for prime time, but I’m in no hurry. I’m going to use that time as zen time. I have started making a list of what is incomplete, and some features I would like to incorporate. I’ve also been perusing this and other beer related sites looking for ideas. I am excited to brew my first beer, but I am not going to rush it. I want to get everything set up the way I think I want it, then do a dry (wet) run on the new system and see how it goes. If I find something is missing or think I can improve on something, I’ll change it and do another dry run, until it’s the way I want it.

I spent most of last summer’s weekends at my camper building a wood fired pizza oven as well as an outdoor kitchen & bar, and a “brew shed”. Next spring I will convert all my burners back to propane and take all of the old brew stuffs down there, and have an informal little brew pub going on at my place, where we will have brew days, and serve what we brewed on tap.

I started brewing in 1993; some years brewing 15 batches, some years brewing 3. I took a 2.5 year break before getting back in Dec of last year. For me the biggest motivating factor was too many $80 bills at the local bottle stores for maybe 1 gallon of beer and thinking I could brew 10 gals for that price.

I think the biggest factor that caused me to pause my brewing was that I was brewing decent beers but nothing that I thought was better than the dozens of craft breweries around me. I got back with a strong focus on improving my processes and recipes and understanding my processes and ingredients. Brulosophy was a big motivator for me. I also have a focus on brewing the beers that I enjoy that are not common (I enjoy NEIPA but don't brew it much) and also pushing myself to brew those 12% Imperial Stouts that run $20 per bottle.

P.S. I have at least 20 batches of 5 gal and 2.5 gal batches in this year, plus a dozen or so 1 gal baches.

Last edited:
I'm in the same spot. We moved to a new place back in May, it took me until late July to get our plumbing set up so I could add my RO filter, then a while longer to sort out my faucet and drain connections for my cf chiller. It was at that time I decided I couldn't bear to bottle anymore so I started buying parts to build a keezer. That's almost done now and its finally time to start back up brewing but I feel like a virgin again. I'm totally out of practice since I brewed last in April and meanwhile everything has changed. I'm going to force myself through a couple of simple batches which I'll use to learn the basics of kegging, then shift back into my normal cadence. I'm trusting that drinking the modest fruits of my labor will once again provide plenty of motivation to continue. We all hit a rut once in a while, getting back into the saddle is a challenge but very much worthwhile. The for sale section is full of gear for sale by brewers who decided the juice isn't worth the squeeze and for some of them that might be the case. But the rest just lacked the determination to work past frustration and disappointment. Don't become one of them. This hobby is worth it. Just don't give up.

Last edited:
Go ahead and talk about brewing, just don't tell them you have any. A little white lie. Say the beer is still aging. That should cover everything including the fact that it is ready to drink. It is aging! Not necessarily to get better.

Haha I love a little half truth
I’m as good as I’m going to get. I’m a 6 million $$ man, though I won’t make ya call me Lee Majors. [emoji41]
Thanks for asking.
By the way, I brew outside and I too like it strangely. Wind today knocked me out. It has its disadvantages. I put up a nice privacy screen. People driving by called the cops twice. Once I was cooking meth, and the other I was running a still. [emoji849] I’m glad I came to my senses. Brewing is almost a spiritual endeavor.

Oy! I would have been so angry!! Living in utah on shocked it hasn't happened, at least my last neighborhood. The the guy next door was always ripping a bong with his friends so maybe I was the lesser evil.
I'm there now, kinda. I moved to a new house two years ago, had to set up a new brew area, bought a new system, and just as I was getting ready to run my first batch on my new system at my new house I found out the LHBS closed. I don't mind ordering stuff online, but I really prefer having a local expert to talk to and help me when I have questions or problems.

I get that as well I drive 30-40 mins to a shop i prefer. We only have 2 near me. But I am moving 20 minutes further out. So I plan to buy bulk and try to brew with what I have. Luckily I can get free shipping from my LHBS but I love to bounce ideas off of the guys.

TLDR: sometimes the urge to brew comes and goes. Wait it out, sometimes you just need a break to rediscover passion.

I got my 1st Mr. Beer homebrew kit the Xmas of 1998. I’ve been (mostly) brewing ever since. I’ve had ebbs and flows in that time, and am currently coming off an extended hiatus. It’s been a good 2 years since I have brewed proper.

Like many others I started off extract, then extract with tweaks, then partial mash, then all grain and on and on. With the kit beers it was fun and different, and I definitely enjoyed the process and “science” more so than the beer it created.

After experimenting and finally going all grain, I started collecting more and more stuff. At first it was just whatever large pot the wife had in kitchen, then it was buying a dedicated pot, then a burner to move outdoors, then a purpose built kettle, then a bigger kettle for more beer, kegs, kegerator, stir plates, CFC chillers and more and more and more.

I brewed as a form of relaxation, and there was always a bunch of people over on brew days. I brewed for events for clubs I am in, friends weddings, family get togethers, parties etc. I never minded, all I asked for was to be reimbursed for grains and such, unless I was doing it as a donation/gift. I never really had “friends” that just came over for free beer, or none that I noticed. I bought a 20 and 25 gallon stainless steel stock pot from a restaurant supply store, hurricane burners, converted over to natural gas, welded a brew stand...yada yada yada. Point being beer was always on hand. Way more than I could drink, and sometimes ever more than I had place to store.

I converted an area under my basement stairs, along with a section of wall and base cabinets, with accompanying counter space as storage for all the brew stuff I have accumulated over the years. Even though I tried to keep things organized, and would use tool boxes converted to house pumps and silicone tubing with Ts and shut offs and everything I could think of to make brew day more efficient and effective, it was still a bus load of work getting set up on brew days.

Brew days were long, especially when brew buddies cannot always make it over. Though not fault of their own, people get married, have children, get grown up responsibilities. Still a set of missing hands only increases the work load. Every time I would set up and tear down, I always secretly promised myself I was going to go all electric. Especially in the Cleveland winters.

I went bigger and bigger on my batch sizes, justifying it as less brew days means less set up and tear down, but ultimately, though it may have been less brew days, going bigger seamed to increase workload. Heavier kettles to carry up and down stairs, more grains to scoop and clean, longer cooling times, bigger yeast pitches, blah blah blah. It started losing all the relaxing qualities that it once had, especially on days it was just me and the wife.

I did start doing BIAB on our stove top with some old equipment I still had, and that helped to scratch the itch, but again the set up and tear down, not to mention the wife being nine too happy with me taking complete control over the kitchen on brew days, was just such a pain in the arse, that eventually even that stopped. I needed a dedicated area to brew. One that was mine, could be set up permanently, so I didn’t have to pack and unpack every brew day. I cleared out a space in the basement, by the washer and dryer (because there was an existing floor drain that room, and proximity to panel), got some cabinets and some countertops, installed 2 utility sinks, started researching KALs electric brewery build.......then got super busy at work. That was over 2 years ago.

I was going to build my own electric brewery, but fact is work is still busy, and I don’t necessarily think I want to spend my precious off time cobbling together what I need. I enjoy it, but at this point in my life, I am trying to take on less projects, and finish up the current ones. I have really been missing brewing for the past 6 months or so. Really missing it. Especially running in to friends that I haven’t seen in a while and them asking what beer I am working on now, and I awkwardly have to admit that I haven’t brewed in a long time.

On Monday I ordered the 3 vessel electric system from Ss Brewtech. I have their fermenters and various other things, so I decided just to go with them. It will serve the purposes that I want. I have gone through my “imperial everything” phase, the more the better phase, the “everything is better with bacon” adjunct phase, and the “I bet I can get 10 pounds of hops in to this 1 gallon batch” phase. I past that. I enjoy making and drinking “simple beers”, a balanced pale ale, Belgian table beers, an ester bomb hefe, a basic porter. That’s all I will brewing at home.

I still have some work to finish on getting the basement “brewery” ready for prime time, but I’m in no hurry. I’m going to use that time as zen time. I have started making a list of what is incomplete, and some features I would like to incorporate. I’ve also been perusing this and other beer related sites looking for ideas. I am excited to brew my first beer, but I am not going to rush it. I want to get everything set up the way I think I want it, then do a dry (wet) run on the new system and see how it goes. If I find something is missing or think I can improve on something, I’ll change it and do another dry run, until it’s the way I want it.

I spent most of last summer’s weekends at my camper building a wood fired pizza oven as well as an outdoor kitchen & bar, and a “brew shed”. Next spring I will convert all my burners back to propane and take all of the old brew stuffs down there, and have an informal little brew pub going on at my place, where we will have brew days, and serve what we brewed on tap.

Thar sounds awesome! Wood fire pizza oven is on my long list. I also want to assemble it all and do a few wet runs. I will ferment a cider while I fix everything up.
I'm in the same spot. We moved to a new place back in May, it took me until late July to get our plumbing set up so I could add my RO filter, then a while longer to sort out my faucet and drain connections for my cf chiller. It was at that time I decided I couldn't bear to bottle anymore so I started buying parts to build a keezer. That's almost done now and its finally time to start back up brewing but I feel like a virgin again. I'm totally out of practice since I brewed last in April and meanwhile everything has changed. I'm going to force myself through a couple of simple batches which I'll use to learn the basics of kegging, then shift back into my normal cadence. I'm trusting that drinking the modest fruits of my labor will once again provide plenty of motivation to continue. We all hit a rut once in a while, getting back into the saddle is a challenge but very much worthwhile. The for sale section is full of gear for sale by brewers who decided the juice isn't worth the squeeze and for some of them that might be the case. But the rest just lacked the determination to work past frustration and disappointment. Don't become one of them. This hobby is worth it. Just don't give up.

I dont think I will give up this has become part of me. Like I was a brewer in a past life. I move this friday and couldn't be more excited. Next few days the builder will hang my hood vent that will help the hype.

I brewed a ton for a local competition. 7 beers in 2 month's. I was brewing every two weeks. Sometimes I would make two batches.

I think I want to make an ale that I can make with a quick turn around. Then make a 9% Baltic porter. I made one last year and added coffee in it I loved it! A local brewery only makes lagers. But they have a german pale ale that's different than anything I have ever tried before. I'm not into clone beers so I might try to make something up. No BJCP guidelines just follow my tastebuds haha.

I am so thrilled at all the support in this thread. Thank you so much everyone. Hopefully some will read this and find some inspiration.

I think I want to make an ale that I can make with a quick turn around.

I love the all-grain side of brewing...but I have brewed a few 10 minute boil extract batches that turned out pretty good with a brew day not much more involved than making a pot of stew.

I brew for me. Wife doesn't drink beer. I have a very small circle of friends. I do not brew for competition. If I was entertaining more and providing beer, especially if it was expected of me, or I was brewing for competition it would take a lot of fun out of it for me.

I entered a local contest in 1999, won first place for a pale ale I made and got rave reviews on it from the judges. Next one didn't place and I started stressing on what I did wrong, how to fix it, etc. Started looking at spending money for new, better, different equipment to help which added financial stress.

Then I thought, screw it, I'm happy with what I do. Then the joy returned!

I brew one, two to three gallon batch every month. It's enough to keep me supplied and happy.

All the Best,
D. White

I last brewed in July. I started a couple of projects and through procrastination those have taken far longer than they should have. I also brew on my porch with propane. In the summer it gets over 100 degrees in there. For Black Friday, Unibrau was giving $100 off. That equals about 10% on what I ordered. Good enough. I will be able to brew inside in the A/C next summer and in the heat if necessary this winter. I plan to brew some simple beers for fast turn around in the beginning. And to set up my kegerator which I haven't done since I moved here. It was in storage for about 1 1/2 years then just sitting there for the last 6 months.

I brew for me. Wife doesn't drink beer. I have a very small circle of friends. I do not brew for competition. If I was entertaining more and providing beer, especially if it was expected of me, or I was brewing for competition it would take a lot of fun out of it for me.

I entered a local contest in 1999, won first place for a pale ale I made and got rave reviews on it from the judges. Next one didn't place and I started stressing on what I did wrong, how to fix it, etc. Started looking at spending money for new, better, different equipment to help which added financial stress.

I brew one, two to three gallon batch every month. It's enough to keep me supplied and happy.

All the Best,
D. White

My wife also never drinks beer never tries it also... but she is the reason i brew and let me build parts of the house around brewing. she tells everyone i brew i think that's cool. we had our blinds meeting today at the house and she was telling the lady i brew. Its very rare in Utah to find someone who drinks.

Not having to over pay for beer will be so great. In Utah you have to go the state store for anything over 5% so i cant wait have a big beer again.

A few days ago my 3 year old daughter was asking me if the brewery was finished randomly. had me cracking up, i fully expect CPS to end up at my house one day for her telling kids at school that she helps me brew or telling someone she knows how to brew.

All the Best,
D. White

I am kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to competitions. I enter a fair amount (5+ a year) and find myself wanting to brew more often and try different styles to see how they do. The competitive aspect makes it more interesting for me than just brewing a beer for me to drink while watching football (not that there is anything wrong with that). The prizes also don't hurt!

I am kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to competitions. I enter a fair amount (5+ a year) and find myself wanting to brew more often and try different styles to see how they do. The competitive aspect makes it more interesting for me than just brewing a beer for me to drink while watching football (not that there is anything wrong with that). The prizes also don't hurt!

My homebrew club has 9 competitions each year (stuff like Porter/Stouts, Lawnmower Beers, etc.). It motivates me to brew and to brew styles that I normally would not brew. The downside is that sometimes I find I am chasing new styles rather than brewing the beers I want to drink and/or working on improving my recipes.

I love this community! You guys are awesome. I typed that last night and was thinking i just sound ungrateful. You guys really hit a few issues spot on maybe I'm a bit depressed living with the in laws is taking a toll .I might be over thinking the first beer as well.

It's nice to know its not just me that has felt this way. Hopefully just jumping into it and getting the first brew out of the way sparks my interest again.

It sounds like you have multiple things going on; hopefully temporary.
I don't mean to de-rail, but the wedding brewing has me wondering. How do you do it?
I've been asked to provide the beer for two weddings. I just don't know about providing that kind of volume. How do you serve? How do you keep it cold? How much to plan on? Those sort of things...

It sounds like you have multiple things going on; hopefully temporary.
I don't mean to de-rail, but the wedding brewing has me wondering. How do you do it?
I've been asked to provide the beer for two weddings. I just don't know about providing that kind of volume. How do you serve? How do you keep it cold? How much to plan on? Those sort of things...

It would be a first for me as well. I planned on making 2 10G batches and 1 5G batch of cider and serve off my kegerator if we ran out whatever its free. But if they plan to have a venue i told them i cant do it. they are both previously divorced. in my opinion they should just keep it super low key and save all the money. But hey not my life.

My homebrew club has 9 competitions each year (stuff like Porter/Stouts, Lawnmower Beers, etc.). It motivates me to brew and to brew styles that I normally would not brew. The downside is that sometimes I find I am chasing new styles rather than brewing the beers I want to drink and/or working on improving my recipes.

yeah i would love to have a year were i focus a style and get it perfect. i have brewed the same beer once and only one time.

I'm getting this. I don't think I can continue what I'm currently doing. I enjoy it enough but people are zapping my energy. Questioning my current path... So brewing has kind of been on the back burner. It doesn't help I've kind of run out of ingredients with no motivation to order. Now the weather isn't great. Need that electric brewery!

Usually if I push myself to brew I'll get back into it.

To everyone who has to order ingredients i have no idea how you all do it. half the time i poke around in the store to make a recipe or see something i want to try. What if you forget to order something? that would stink. That's dedication.

To everyone who has to order ingredients i have no idea how you all do it. half the time i poke around in the store to make a recipe or see something i want to try. What if you forget to order something? that would stink. That's dedication.
make your recipe first, then go shopping. if theres other stuff you see for small additions or a future brew (the LHBS i used to go to had an "orphan bin" ,i'd buy a lot of those small bags of specialty malts.), buy them. going in blind to buy malts doesnt turn out well.

It would be a first for me as well. I planned on making 2 10G batches and 1 5G batch of cider and serve off my kegerator if we ran out whatever its free. But if they plan to have a venue i told them i cant do it. they are both previously divorced. in my opinion they should just keep it super low key and save all the money. But hey not my life.
so , because they were both previously divorced you wont do the beer for them? People change , maybe this is their forever .

Back