Not bitter enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quyzi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made an IPA using entirely homegrown hops, but it is definitely not bitter enough to be considered an IPA. I'm not sure what exactly to classify it as to be honest. It's a recipe I've made a dozen times before and it always turned out awesome, but I always used pellet hops. I thought I adjusted the hop quantities enough to make up for the fact that I'm using whole hops instead of pellets. Original recipe called for 1oz summit, 1oz cascade at 60. 1oz simcoe, 1oz cascade at 20. 1oz simcoe, 1oz cascade at 5. At 60 I put in 4oz of the hops I grew. They're mostly cascade but there is some Summit in there too, I got lazy and just put them all together into one big bag and into the dehydrator.

It's our third year with these, I thought I was past the point where they were still developing roots. If I can't bitter with these hops properly I don't see the point in growing them. Did I mess something up? I took care of them, they seemed happy growing huge.

A lot of variables can affect the flavor/aroma of your homegrown hops. One of the biggest, and most difficult to get a handle on, is when to harvest. It's really more of an art than science. Too soon, and they won't have developed the oils that you're depending on for flavor/aroma. Too late, and those same oils oxidize. Is it possible you harvested too soon?

Agreed with above. Most likely you harvested them too soon. The alpha acids and oils develop very late in the cycle, so being off by a week or two leaves you with low alpha hops.

Its also possible you didn't dry enough. To get them as dry as pellets, you need to drop them down to around 1/4th to 1/5th the original weight. Otherwise, there is still water in them. The water is necessarily bad, it just tricks you. Because now 3 ozs of hops only have the alpha acid of 1 oz of pellets, unless you picked early, then its .01 oz of pellets.

In general, buy your alpha and use your homegrown for flavoring. If you want to test them, throw a cone or two in some hot water and make a tea. If you can easily drink it, its probably not bitter enough.

They're mostly cascade but there is some Summit in there too, I got lazy and just put them all together into one big bag and into the dehydrator.

Wait... Summit hops ?!? Where did you get that ? I thought that they were protected and unavailable to the public ? Did someone sell you crap and said that it was a Summit plant ?

Plus, you are on the East Coast... Vermont University has some trial about hops cultivars, and some high AA cultivars are not reaching the usual AA% here on the East Coast, not to mentionned the yield.

Wait... Summit hops ?!? Where did you get that ? I thought that they were protected and unavailable to the public ? Did someone sell you crap and said that it was a Summit plant ?

Plus, you are on the East Coast... Vermont University has some trial about hops cultivars, and some high AA cultivars are not reaching the usual AA% here on the East Coast, not to mentionned the yield.

Sorry, wrong hop! I have cascade, northern brewer, magnum, and williamette hops growing.

I didn't think it was too early, the hops started browning a bit. It was very warm, but I kept them well watered.

Latest posts

Back