Not being one to forgo a bargian I bought 50 lbs of liquid malt it is from chile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Peach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Now what? Can I freeze the LME ?
I also bought a 55 pound bag of Veinna Malt whole grain. The price for both was $60 tax in.

From an ingredient storage overview page:
Liquid Malt Extract (LME) - LME does not store well. LME is prone to rapid darkening and change in flavor (for the worse) from oxidation as well as Maillard reactions. LME should be stored very cold to slow this process down. Freezer is best, followed by refrigerator. Try to reduce any head space to slow down oxidation and freezer burn. Ensure that there is enough room for expansion before freezing so your container does not burst.
disclaimer: I haven't tried this.

I'm sure one could make something drinkable out of the LME, if one had a mind to, and the 55#s of Vienna is pretty good at that price if in good condition. Brew on!

Sounds like an interesting deal... from Chile, huh?
Can you elaborate a bit more?

Did the LME come in one large container or multiple smaller ones?
What kind of container(s)?

Freezing would probably be best for longer storage times. To freeze, there needs to be some headspace inside the container, to allow for expansion. 3-5% empty space may well be the minimum for honey and thick sugar syrups, not sure.

The price for both was $60 tax in.
That's an amazing price!

also bought a 55 pound bag of Veinna Malt whole grain
Vienna Lagers! You could use 100% Vienna malt, or add a little Munich or Medium Crystal Malt.

Get a food saver and some rolls of bags measure it out and seal and freeze the LME,or go to the restaurant supply and get some plastic containers with lids.

Back