American Stout Not Another Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsekourian

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Mangrove Jack\\'s M07 British Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10, 20
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 20
Tasting Notes
Roasted and chocolate come first with the classic dark fruits, and some coffee.
Batch Size: 19L
Original Gravity: 1064
Final Gravity: 1018
ABV: 6,1%
Type: All Grain - BIAB
Style: American Stout (Coffee)

Due to new equipment, I lost some points in Original Gravity, 1064 instead my targeted 1069. I was supposed to use Nottingham yeast, found out later that I never had it in my fridge, so Mangrove Jacks did the work, thus the lower attenuation.

Mash Steps:

Saccharification Rest: 90 min at 64 Celcius
Mash Out: 10 min at 76 Celcius

No actual sparge took place, I just drew wort from the spigot and "rinsed" it upon the barley in the bag, like recirculation.

Recipe
5 kg Pale Ale Malt (71,2%)
600 g Vienna Malt (8,5%)
450 g Caraaroma (6,4%)
350 g Carafa Special I (5%)
250 g Cafe Light (3,6%)
220 g Chocolate Wheat (3,1%)
150 g Black Malt (2,1%)
20 g Herkules @ 60' (36,5 IBUs)
20 g Cascade @ 10' (10 IBUs)
1 pack of Mangrove Jack's M07 British Ale Yeast

Stayed in primary for 10 days at 19-20 Celcius, then transferred to the fridge where it stayed for 3 days at 2-3 Celcius. After that, 8 liters were transferred to a bucket with 50 gr of just-broken Roasted Coffee Beans (old-school you know, in a plastic bag and hit them with the wife's boot). Rest was bottled with a target CO2 level of 2,1.

Taste notes, one month after bottling:
Non-coffeed: Roasted and chocolate come first with the classic dark fruits, and some "not-ready" notes. Bread and biscuit on the back. Full bodied like hell, which is very nice, but sticks a little more than intended.
Coffeed: The coffee is popping out as soon as you open the bottle. Chocolate notes, and some bread also. Also nice bodied, more than the the decafeinated version.

Next time, a more attenuative yeast is mandatory! The beer has to go down to 1015, have the correct body but not have all this bread and nuts, which cloud some of the chocolate and coffee.. The elements I wanted are all there, just not so intense as i wanted. So maybe, next time, just play with Calcium Chloride a bit, to see the difference.

Back