Not a n00b, but need some help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
So I feel stupid being an avid brewer with lots of batches and knowledge under my belt but please help me figure out what's going on here.

I have made a couple batches recently that havn't finished. Today I sampled the carb level on a Mexican ale and it tasted horrible! I checked the gravity and it was at 1.035. I have a stout that stopped near there too. I just sampled my Christmas ale too and it is 20 pts above gravity.

The only similarities between these beers are safale 5 which I've used before with great success and the addition of pure oxygen. 25-30 seconds worth.

I'm stuck. The fermentation room for all these beers were a uncontrolled bathroom which runs about 60 this time of year. In there I put a glass of water and check temps everyday. And my parents basement which has always worked in the past.

Any thoughts appreciated. In doing a stout right now as we speak and I think I'm going to skip oxygen. And for the first tome I'm using a starter. Hmmm

if you are not using a starter your fermentation may be crapping out because of it. oxygen will not cause a stuck fermentation.

I was just thinking maybe I was using too much oxygen.

I use a refrac but out of suspicion I used my hydro today and got the same values.

I there anything I can do now to fix it? Add yeast? One of them is carbed!

I was just thinking maybe I was using too much oxygen.

I use a refrac but out of suspicion I used my hydro today and got the same values.

I there anything I can do now to fix it? Add yeast? One of them is carbed!

You know that refefracs give incorrectly-high gravity readings once alcohol is present in the beer, right? All you beer is probably fine. Use the hydrometer for FG readings or use an online calculator to correct your upward-skewed hydro readings.

But the taste is sweet and unferm on the Mexican ale

if you are not using a starter your fermentation may be crapping out because of it. oxygen will not cause a stuck fermentation.

Dry yeast doesn't require a starter, It also doesn't require oxygen.

Need more info on the grain bill of each recipe. Sometimes dry and liquid yeast just doesn't do it's thing. Although stopping that soon is very rare.

_

I am not very experienced with dry yeasts, but 60F sounds a bit cool. Safale lists its range at the bottom end of 59. Seeing that fermentation is a function of initial levels of O2 (check), yeasts counts per volume and OG, the amount you pitched may be a bit low, and temperature, which is also on the low end. As per the above recommendations, use a hydrometer to check the FG. Consider pitching per safale recommendations (rehydrate or add to fermenter, then aerate see:http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_US-05_HB.pdf) and if doesn't work out, consider using more yeast than 1 packet. Final recommendations for finishing beers. I typically will raise the temp on most of my beers at end of ferment to ensure complete fermentation. It rouses the yeast and therefore helps them consume the remaining fermentables. Finally, drink or blend the carbed beer, but for your higher FG beers still in the fermenter, I have found that pitching a pack of Nottingham to finish has been helpful.

So the refrac issue solves the Xmas ale (I'm guessing the sweetness is just greeness and Ginger) athe red ale and the stout. Just not sure about the median now. At least 3 are good

Going ahead and racking the stout and taste ok. A little sweet but its a rasp cream so that's expected I think.

I'll do the Irish red next. But thanks for the help. Still wondering bout that damn mexican

Dry yeast doesn't require a starter, It also doesn't require oxygen.

Need more info on the grain bill of each recipe. Sometimes dry and liquid yeast just doesn't do it's thing. Although stopping that soon is very rare.

_

ahh, i missed the dry yeast part.

I'm gonna go with the refrac as being the problem as I didn't know the whole alcohol thing. I'll just have to use beersmith more often I guess( I hate having to waste 8-10oz to get a hydro reading. ) ;) as for the Mexican I'm traveling tomorrow so I'll pick up some lager dry yeast at the store and hit each keg with that (10G batch) and we will se what happens. Should still ferment event when carbed right?

I'm gonna go with the refrac as being the problem as I didn't know the whole alcohol thing. I'll just have to use beersmith more often I guess( I hate having to waste 8-10oz to get a hydro reading. ) ;) as for the Mexican I'm traveling tomorrow so I'll pick up some lager dry yeast at the store and hit each keg with that (10G batch) and we will se what happens. Should still ferment event when carbed right?

I've read on WortMonger's pressure fermenting thread that you have to de-gas the sample when using a refrac.

Back