Not a clone, the hoptimal brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoptimal

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my unconventional build. It is not complete, but has kicked out one crude IPA. I hope you enjoy. Always follow the electrical code of your location. I have about $300 invested so far.

Here is an overall shot of the stand, which was fabricated from mild steel then painted orange:
GEDC0010.JPG

The boiler is a 15 gallon keg, top cut off, inverted, handles cut off, with a bead of food grade silicon around the inner crevice to seal the vapors. A bathroom fan and dryer duct vent the boil off:
GEDC0021.JPG

The heating element is a 4500W unit threaded into a welded lock nut arrangement. The element seals directly against the lock nut, and the connection box is held in place by welded studs:
GEDC0012A.JPG

Flexible conduit is used for connection to the kettle:
GEDC0013.JPG

Another 1 NPS fitting is on the bottom for easy cleaning:
GEDC0019.JPG

A custom plug was created for to interface with the bottom lock nut, as there were too few tapered threads for a good seal. A 1 NPS plug is welded into another 1 NPS jam nut, then a rubber seal was added:
GEDC0017.JPG

Overkill socket weld ball valve on the exit:
GEDC0014.JPG

This is an original design counter flow heat exchanger. The idea was to have an easy to clean design. The NTU's are a bit lacking with only 6 ft of transfer length total, but a decent cool down time was achieved at the expense of much cooling water. A third pass may have to be added:
GEDC0010A.JPG

Control box:
GEDC0011.JPG

Inside:
GEDC0012.JPG

Latest posts

Back