NorthernBrewer Deluxe Beer Starter Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gce

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Deluxe Beer Starter Kit and was wondering if anybody had any thoughts or suggestions for alternative starter kits. My plan is to go straight in to all grain.

My only thoughts are: do you also plan to keg? If so, you may be better off piecing together a kit that doesn't include the capper and caps. Also, you'll find many home brewers don't bother with secondary fermentation. Its personal preference but if you get this kit you'll have a 5 gallon carboy sitting around for no reason (and you could have spent that money on a second 6 gallon primary).
I'll close by saying that it seems as if most people get into the hobby thinking they'll get all the right stuff up front, when in reality until you know your own brewing preferences you don't even know exactly what kit you need. Basically, don't bank on this being the only time you buy equipment, eventually you'll buy more

I have no plans to keg and really like the idea of having bottles for easy transportation.

I also might have access to a free old carboy. Perhaps the Better Basic Kit is a better choice.

Im going to recommend doing at least one extract batch before going AG. Make sure you have a good grasp for what's going on and then jump to AG. Best wishes though...

Is that thermometer glass? If so, I'd say to get a dial or digital thermometer. Those floating glass thermometers are garbage. They break in wort a lot and that is a serious PITA.

Dial thermometers cost about $15 and could save a batch from being dumped in your future.

I have 2 plastic buckets for primary fermenters and a 5 gallon carboy. In over 15 batches I've used the carboy as a secondary twice and once as an additional fermenter. I'd go for the basic kit and add another fermenter(or two). I've added a long stem dial thermometer that I found at Midwest Supplies which really comes in handy when mashing as you can take the temperature for the middle of the mash.

Digital can suck ass After the crap from suckmart breaking somehow giving me 10 degrees off readings(worthless) the big daddy dial thermometer has proven superior not to mention less money.

Hmmm...it took me about 2 months to decide on what I wanted to buy for a starter kit. Most kits that are offered,should meet your basic needs. I chose the Brewing Starting kit (Product #MBKE2) from Midwest supplies because of cost and what "stuff" was part of the package.

In retrospect if I had to do it all over again I would probably order a very basic starter kit. I have found that all I really,really really, needed was a fermenter (Carboy or Plastic Bucket, your choice but I like my plastic bucket), bottling bucket with spigot, a Fermtech auto siphon, bottling wand, hydrometer, wing capper (red "Emily" is awesome), some bottle caps and Star-San. Because, really, who knows if your going to like to brew your own Beer?

Also if you are going to go all-grain you probably will need to invest your money into a mash-tun, brew kettle, and some sort of propane burner.And don't forget a digital thermometer!!! $$$$$ (Oh by the way Midwest doesn't incluse a test jar(?)for you hydrometer)

It's amazing how much information you can get with one post isn't it?

Digital can suck ass After the crap from suckmart breaking somehow giving me 10 degrees off readings(worthless) the big daddy dial thermometer has proven superior not to mention less money.

I got the Big Daddy right after my glass thermometer asploded in my second batch. Love it.

I purchased this exact kit - Its perfect. I matched it with a turkey fryer and started brewing extracts. Not that happy with the beer quality, but the equipment is everything you need to start getting your process down. I would buy it again. I added another an ale pail for 12 bucks to be able to have a pipeline. Also, I like having the 5 gallon carboy to free up the primary or experiment with fruits.

I just brewed my second beer this week with the deluxe kit I bought from Northern. No complaints here at all. I have found that after only 2 brews I do need more primarys, but I found the 6.5 gallon buckets with lids for ~12 at the LHBS.

I started with that very kit from Northern Brewer in 2006. I still use most of the parts that came with it. It's an excellent starter kit, and I think it's a good deal for the money. After my first couple of months using it I bought a turkey fryer and a converted keg and went all-grain.

I never had any breakage issue with the thermometer, but I second the suggestion to get a decent digital therm. It's just faster and easier to use.

Better Bottle wasn't an option when I got mine. I have one Better Bottle and 12 glass carboys. I like glass a lot better, but to each his own.

I am also ready to pull the trigger on a starter kit. Had my eye also on the deluxe kit from Northern Brewer. I do want to start out kegging and have tostudy on what I need for that.

Even though this kit still comes with some bottling accessories, it is still cheaper than piecing it all toghether. I would like to purchase this kit or something similar this week. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

I was going to post this in a new thread till I read this one, so my apologies to the OP...just wanted to aadd to this...

thanks

The deluxe kit from Northern brewer with the glass carboys is how I started two years ago. I would do it again..... Pez.

newbie here too, and I bought the deluxe kit. I soon found out that the 5g glass carboy is heavy, slippery, and a bit too small for 5.5g batches; and i dont like the caper. I went on and bought 3 more 6g plastic carboys and a bench press caper, then a 2-keg kit from an online vendor AND two more kegs from a local seller.

dont get me wrong, the kit is great for someone who dont plan on kegging or brewing very often.

I bought the better basic and slowly upgrade equipment...the thermometer is not one of those stupid floaty ones, its a lab thermometer and isnt the most convienant to use but was always damn accurate...till i dropped it on the garage floor

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Deluxe Beer Starter Kit and was wondering if anybody had any thoughts or suggestions for alternative starter kits. My plan is to go straight in to all grain.

me and my wife set a budget of $200 so i was all amped... i took a step back and just went with a $75 basic kit from a lhbs seriously i looked at that exact kit you did and almost pulled the trigger.. but for that price i got a basic setup a book 24 22oz bottles a recipe kit a strainer and a few other things i think it was really 140 and i forgot to list a few things im sure.. im happy with what i got and don't regret it with the basic kit you can just add what you need down the road...

I just went thru the kit and picked out what I need based on some feedback from others...already have a nice thermometer and took that out...

Ended up placing an order today and got a few extras including some star san and an AG kit almost the price of the deluxe kit...NB service has been great so far.

Going all grain from the beginning might be too ambitious.
I got into homebrew with a kit from a recycle shop that came from the seventies.
I started with an experienced brewer but our system was about as antiquated as it gets.
It even came with a hammer for putting on the caps!
I've brewed 28 brews so far in this dated fermenter and I have not had one batch spoil and all have even been drinkable. Many were even delicious.
Consider this a long-winded way of saying "Just do it". Get what you can and start but I would start with something like an extract or even partial mash where you will have a good chance at being satisfied with that first homebrew you crack open. That's what hooked me. Now I'm looking to buy my first real piece of equipment - an 8 gallon conical fermenter. Cheers!

Back