Northern Brewers Oatmeal Stout Partial Mash Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopMama

Reaction score
I'm hoping to brew my second batch of beer this weekend, as long as my kit arrives tomorrow. I've read toasting the oats is nice. If I toast them Friday night, and let them sit until Saturday afternoon, is this enough time to let them rest, or should I skip toasting? I've also read to let them sit a bit, or they can lend a "burnt" taste to the finished product. Does toasting make a noticeable difference? Has anyone ever used this kit? Also, I plan on bottling half as is, and adding cold steeped coffee to the remainder of the batch before bottling. I was thinking 1 1/3 cup ground coffee steeped with 4 cups of room temperature water....is this a good amount? I'm pretty excited to brew this beer!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

curious on how others chime in on this one.. If you get good results, i may be tempted to try as well. Please post recipe.. A - this may help answer your question B - anyone interested in duplicating would like to see your grain bill, hops, and yeast.

GOOD LUCK.. BREW HAPPY..!!!

The kit comes with-

2.5 lbs Maris Otter
.5 lb Black Malt
.5 lb English Dark Crystal
.5 lb Flaked Oats

3.15 lbs Dark Malt Syrup
1 lb Briess Dark Dry Malt Extract
2 oz US Fuggle

Safale S-04 Ale Yeast

This is a 5 gallon batch.

I was keen on adding some cocoa nibs during second fermentation, but my husband wants to skip it....maybe next time. I really want to try some vanilla beans during secondary as well. If it comes out good, I'll try this kit again, and do half the batch with the cocoa nibs in secondary, and half with vanilla beans. I love the idea of a breakfast stout, so I'm excited about adding coffee to half of the batch this time around. Plus, I think it will be fun to taste them both side by side, and see what flavors and aroma the coffee lends:)

I picked up some Irish Moss to try out. I don't know if the clarity is a huge deal with a stout, but I'm still excited to try it.

Kit came! Toasting Oats is not an option...grains all came in one big bag. Bummer. Still can't wait to brew this! I will admit, I squealed like a school girl when the UPS truck pulled up at my house. No need to wait....perhaps I'll brew tonight after my kids go to bed:)

Sounds like a good one. Following to see how it turns out! And there is nothing like getting a box of fresh ingredients!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My grandparents were farmers, so when I smelled the grains it reminded me of the feed they use to use. It smells good, I think it will be yummy!

I love the smell of the grains. I've been making bread from my used steeping grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a couple recipes for bread using spent grains on Pinterest. I even found a recipe for dog treats....I don't have a dog, but I know some folks who do, and I bet their dogs would be happy, happy, happy with some of those treats!

A tip for the coffee addition. When I did my breakfast stout recently, I did 2 oz cold brewed coffee in the boil and 2 oz in the secondary. Depending on your love of coffee taste in a beer, I wouldn't go much more than this. It's pretty potent. YMMV of course, but more than a cup in only ~2.5 gallons of beer pre-bottling sounds like a lot to me.

Thank you Zeb. I was basing that amount off a recipe I'd seen on making cold steeped coffee in a French press the same size as mine. I guess I'll make the full amount, save one cup for the beer, and make iced coffee with the rest.

My kit instructions gave an OG of 1.050, I got 1.048. I did a hydrometer reading last night (brewed on 4/18), and got a reading of 1.014. I planned on letting it be for another week or two....there was no FG in the instructions. What am I looking for for my final gravity?

Because it's a stout, and S-04, that sounds about right. I doubt it will go much lower than that, and for a stout, it's normal to be where you are or even a bit higher

So my next question....leave it in primary for a couple more weeks, then bottle. Or, should I rack it to a secondary, and leave it for a couple weeks? I've read so many different pros and cons for not using a secondary. Is it really necessary with this style? Thank you, by the way:)

We bottled on Mother's Day (happy Mother's Day to me!) I cold steeped a quart of water, with a cup of freshly ground coffee (Sumatra Mandheling) the day before. We bottled nearly a case of the oatmeal stout as is, and the remainder of the batch got the coffee. We sampled the last of the bucket, and the coffee nose, and flavor was pretty obnoxious. We both LOVE coffee, so we're pretty pumped to sample the "breakfast stout" in a month:)

Back