Northern Brewers Nut Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateG

Reaction score
I ordered two more kits last week and they came in today, I ordered a American Wheat, which was my first brew and I liked it so I ordered another, and their Nut Brown ale. I currently have both kits in the fridge, hops, grains and yeast in ziplocks. I figure I will do the nut brown first since it has the extra grains. This will be a first for a few things, one being the specialty grains and it will be the first time I use my new turkey fryer. Should be fun, I am going to do the Nut Brown tomorrow.

I really like the NB Nut Brown Kit and you'll love the Turkey Fryer! My wife is sensitive to smells but loves my homebrews. Now I fire up the Fryer in the garage and the hops don't smell up the house. Heating 5 Gallons to a boil eats up the propane though :(

The Nut Brown is an awesome beer. I did mine August 11th and drank the last one last night. They age well.

I also use a turkey fryer. Be sure to adjust the air baffle to get a good flame. You want a little orange in the flame as possible.

On my last brew doing all grain I heated my mash, mashout and sparge water on the stove. I then did the boil on the turkey fryer.

I have been getting 5-6 brew days out of a Blue Rhino tank. I have heard that they only fill them to 14 pounds, whereas a tank filled at a gas outlet will fill them to 20 pounds. (Maybe not the Rhino tanks, never tried.)

That explains why the propane goes so fast. I might have TSC fill it up for me from now on.

I started steeping w/ 3 gallons on the stove then adding it to the fryer water for the full boil. It seems to help on propane rather than heating 5 gallons to steeping temp. waiting then going full boil

We have 2 propane tanks for out grill and take them to be filled because the whole blue rhino bit is a rip off, especially with how much we go through. I was contemplating doing the grain soak on the stove though, seems like it would be easier to control things that way.

I really enjoyed the nut brown when it warmed up. At colder temps I could not taste the nut but once it warmed up the nuts shined though, almost like try were freshly shaved.

Steeped my grains on the stove in 5 quarts of water, I deviated from the kit instructions and brought the water up to 170 before tossing in the bag, left it in for 30 minutes, the final temp was about 155. I am currently waiting for the 5 gallons to boil, I am going to add half the LME at the start and the rest at 30 minutes.

Since I have 45 minutes to kill here are a couple photos :D
BeerTea.jpg

Beer Tea
NBBoil.jpg

Boiling

It's in the bucket :mug: Finished the boil and dropped the chiller in, which by the way is awesome, had it down to 80 deg in 8 minutes!!! Poured it in the bucket and stirred the crap out of it which brought the temp right down to 70. Poured in the yeast which I was soaking for an hour and a half and carried it inside. I didn't get a full 5 gallons, about an inch below the 5 gallon line, but the gravity was spot on at 1041 so I left it.

WortChillerInAction.jpg

Wort chiller rockin out.
NutBrownInFermenter.jpg

The party's is already getting started.

So to recap, I love my turkey fryer and I love my homemade wort chiller :D

Now the question, to secondary or not, I know its usually not recommended and isn't really necessary but I was thinking if I rack it into my 5 gallon carboy in a week I could reload the bucket with the Hefeheizen and have them both done at about the same time :D

I also bought a nut brown ale kit from NB last tuesday and brewed that night. All the reviews online are very encouraging. I am already excited to taste it. I have a good supply of honey, and I was thinking about trying to prime with it although I have never done this. Does anyone have any thoughts or advise on honey priming? Is this the right kind of beer to prime with honey? How exactly would one go about preparing the honey?

Checked on the fermenter this morning and its going like crazy, there is a little foam in the airlock even. I also checked the temp in the fermentometer and it is running up towards 76 degrees so I think I am going to have to move it.

Anyone tried the NB Carribou Slobber Kit?

I brewed it in early November. Primary for a month and then bottle. First couple of bottles were not bad (after about two weeks in bottle. Brought a 12-pack out for some friends last week (about six weeks since bottling) and they were awesome. I'll certainly brew that one again.

Moved the fermenter into a cooler room, I'm am sleeping with my beer now :p and it is down to about 72/74 which is a little better, still bubbling away like crazy.

Hmm, fermentation appears to come to a crawl, I think it must have done most of it the first day, it was going like crazy with an almost constant stream of bubbles. I have Thursday off so I think I will definitely check the gravity then and rack it to the carboy and maybe refill the bucket with hefeweizen.

Wouldn't be surprised if it did take off as you had the temp pretty high for that yeast. Was it the dry danstar? I keep mine at an ambient 67 degrees in my closet and it has been steady bubbling for a week now with little let-up. Of course I added 1 lb and 3/4 cup of brown sugar as well as 12 oz unsulphured molasses :)

Yes it was the Danstar. As I said I'm going to let it sit until Thursday and check the gravity when I transfer it to the carboy, if it's not done I can always toss some more yeast on, if it is I will just let it age in the carboy for a few weeks. I was really surprised how quickly it took off on me, maybe it really liked how I did the yeast starter this time.

Justdrinkit said:

I bought it hoping it would be like Moose Drool (clone?), but it is better to my taste. It is more malty and therefore has a more balanced flavor. Definitely brewing it again.

Just give the bucket a good swirl around for 30 seconds to get the yeast back up in suspension to make sure your fermented out. I guess your itching to start the hefe and don't have an extra primary to use cuz I would leave that alone for 3 weeks before I would think to rack it.

I brewed NB's nut brown as my first batch. I still have a few bottles around 7-8 months later and it just keeps getting better with age. Be sure not to drink this one too young.

Yep, itching, I want to get the Hefe going so I can have something to drink, my cider is wanting at least another couple weeks in the bottle, the Brown is going to take some aging and I only have 3 bottles from the last batch left! :D I went to the LHBS and got a carboy brush and some other thing and talked to the owner for about 20 minutes and from what I told him he said he was fairly certain it would be done fermenting and safe to transfer, we also talked about blow off tubes and adding things like orange peels to Hefe.

Popped the lid today and tossed the hydro in, gravity was at 1009 so I racked it to the bottle and boiled up the Hefe which worked out much better then the first time I made it.

Nice. I just took a reading of mine and hit 1.011. 7.6% abv. Tastes quite green at 2 weeks. I'll bottle mine in about 2 more weeks. Got a chimay blue clone going fierce right now.

Yes, it is wonderifical.....get it. I couldn't keep mine long enough as everybody that came over kept asking for it. Drank my last pride and joy watching the Tide Roll in the National Championship, btw let it age and you will be rewarded. Next time I would like the head retention to be a little better but it was absolutely amazing. Not a nut brown though, just a good American brown.

V

NutBrownBottled.jpg

Bottled up the nut brown today, got 29 large bottles and a single 12oz. I had to scramble to clean some more bottles because I only cleaned 26 large bottles, I'm glad I saved some of the sanitizer.

I just tried one 12 ouncer last night after a week of conditioning in 70 degrees. Put it in the fridge for about 2 hours then in the freezer for 15 min and whaddya know, carbed perfectly! I used 2.5 oz. priming sugar. If I sit on them for about a few more weeks I'm sure they'll get better but I am already liking this better than the Sammy Smith and Smutty old brown dog I recently had. This is of course after my changing the recipe.

Just tried another for scientific purposes and I must say it's flavor profile has changed greatly. Head retention was perfect for an imperial brown like this. Carbonation was spot on as well. There was a little hop bitterness to help balance the sweet malt profile. I enjoyed it so much I drank it too fast! I had been enjoying a sixer of old brown dog and I much prefer my ibrown over it. Greatly pleased and will brew again with alteration.

Tried the shorty tonight after 2 weeks in the bottle. It was quite clear and had a good head, bit sweeter and lighter then I had originally anticipated but I like it, I'm probably too used to stouts and porters. I tossed another bottle in the fridge for tomorrow.

I have been so busy I still haven't gotten around to bottling the Hefe, its been in the bucket for 3 weeks now so hopefully its fine still, I intend to get it bottled Wednesday though.

Many reviews on northern brewer shared that the brew was a bit weak and watery. This was the reason why I altered it. Your Hefe must be ready as the abv is of a lower breed. I just put my chimay quad into the secondary today and it's pretty nice. I'm pleased that with the little effort I put into homebrewing I'm getting these results.

Sno4Life said:
I bought it hoping it would be like Moose Drool (clone?), but it is better to my taste. It is more malty and therefore has a more balanced flavor. Definitely brewing it again.

I brewed it the middle of January. I am just breaking into it now. Definitely a brew I will do again. Good intro brew for non craft drinkers.

Got the Hefe bottled up finally today, it is definitely a better color then the last batch just need to be patient and let it age nicely unlike the first batch which got better and better with time. I've got about 70 bottles of homemade on the counter in the laundry room now :D

Coming into this tread way late. I'm starting my NB Nut Brown tomorrow morning and was seeing if others liked it. Apparently everyone does like it!!

Back