Northern Brewer SMASH Session Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogforce

Reaction score
This is my first brew and of course there are the minor mishaps. The only issue that has been bugging me is that I forgot to check the OG. I let the beer bubble for 3 days and settle for 1. The gravity read 1.012. Is this high or low for a session beer?

The kit says the OG should be 1.044
Kit Details:

6lbs Pilsner Extract
1/2 oz Simcoe 60 min
1/2 Simcoe 15 min
Irish Moss 15 min
1 oz Simcoe 5 min
1 oz dry hop at 7 days for 7 days

This is my first brew and of course there are the minor mishaps. The only issue that has been bugging me is that I forgot to check the OG. I let the beer bubble for 3 days and settle for 1. The gravity read 1.012. Is this high or low for a session beer?

The kit says the OG should be 1.044
Kit Details:

6lbs Pilsner Extract
1/2 oz Simcoe 60 min
1/2 Simcoe 15 min
Irish Moss 15 min
1 oz Simcoe 5 min
1 oz dry hop at 7 days for 7 days

That is probably about right. I'd let it sit and check it again in a few days if the gravity hasn't changed then you know it's done.

That's about right for a session beer. If OG was around 1.044, and FG is 1.012, you'll have approx. 4.2% ABV.

Assuming your volumes were about right on, the OG should be close to the predicted value, since it's extract.

I figured that it was close enough. The kit says it should be 4.7 but I didn't do any temperature adjustments when measuring gravity and I could have more than 5 gallons sitting in the fermentor.

Latest posts

Back