Northern Brewer + Simcoe = Lychee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissRico

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of my local brewer (www.lanebuleuse.ch) and their fantastic California Common, which has a strong Lychee taste. Their listed ingredients Northern Brewer, Simcoe, Pale Ale And Crystal malt, German Lager yeast.

I'd like to try and get a similar taste in an IPA but am wondering if this lychee flavor is from the hops alone..

I've searched through HBT and found reference to a "Bridgeport IPA" with a lychee character... Cascade, Chinook, Goldings, Crystal and Ahtanum. So no match on the hops.

I have to mail order my supplies so my LHBS is not so L that I could go and have a chat before getting my hops.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

The only things on their ingredients list that could possibly give lychee flavour are the hops or yeast.

A bit of a disclaimer though...I've never tried lychees, but...
If there is much simcoe, it will dominate with pine and tropical fruit (could that be the lychee)?

Could their 'german lager yeast' fermented warm give off lychee flavours?

I love lychee, but I fail to see how those ingredients would give a lychee flavor. Since it is a local brewery....ask them!:) I think you would be surprised how helpful they are.

I will ask - they are opening a taproom in September. Not sure how I would describe the lychee taste to someone who has never eaten one... Floral/Citrus-y but quite rounded/soft (?)

It's the combo of Simcoe and Saf S-23 (@ 17C) that generates some esters and so a fruity & citrusy nose.

They ferment with s-23 at ale temps? Sounds fun! Got an IPA with Nelson sauvin and simcoe getting dry hopped right now.
I love any kind of citrus or fruit going on in IPAs and pale ales, might have to give this one a try.

Latest posts

Back