Northern Brewer priming sugar calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculator

So generally I've found I need to reduce the calculation of priming sugar solution by 10-15% to prevent gushers. I brewed a Quad for the first time and decided to follow the instructions and only decrease by 5%. Now all of my caps' nipples are up and I've got GUSHERS!

Anybody else have this problem with their algorithm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you by any chance been using the corn sugar/dextrose amounts but actually using sucrose (table sugar)? Corn sugar/dextrose is actually glucose mono-hydrate so more of it is required than sucrose which is not a hydrate, thus you need to use less sucrose than corn sugar/dextrose.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
If you increase the sugar, whatever sugar, by 10-15% you’re going to increase the CO2 volume by the same %. So maybe you’re going from 2.4 to 2.7. That shouldn’t be wildly different and not a gusher.

I've generally found the NB calculator to be conservative vs. BF, and I prefer the more agressive BF calculator based upon the carbonation results I've been getting.

I have never had problems with the NB calculator, except that it's now hard to find on their website ;)
I'd check for potential infection sources in your siphon, bottling wand, and bottling bucket. Take them apart and clean the chit out of them, and/or buy new.

I solved my "gusher" issues when I switched from using the volume recommendation (in cups) to the weight (grams/ounces), as suggested by some experienced brewers on HBT.

Back