Northern Brewer/Midwest Supplies merger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njporter

Reaction score
Just heard through the grapevine, these two companies have merged. Anybody have any insider information on this?

Got an email about the BN party during NHC which came from both Northern Brewer and Midwest Upplies, I'd say it's a good chance.

Well, was debating whether my next order was going to come from Midwest Supplies or Northern Brewer.

Guess this makes that decision easier.

They are only 7 miles apart. I'm sure they can make more by joining forces than trying to undercut each other.

well their websites operate exactly the same and i always wondered if the same guy operates both of them. lol.

I work with both and I've heard nothing.

I heard about this from a relative of one of the principals at NB. He told me that Midwest is in the driver's seat and that there is venture capital involved.

Looks like their homebrew supply business just shifted the emphasis from homebrew to business. Tread lightly...

I worked for Midwest in the past and have friends that have recently been "let go" from there, This rumor is true. Nothing purchased and shipped from midwest comes from their physical location. Everything comes from NB's warehouse in Roseville, MN. Midwest, for now, still has a retail store in St. Louis Park. The shipping from this store has stopped.

I was in there recently and there was only two people working the floor and two people on the registers, lines were long and people were not getting the help they needed. When I started working there the founder/owner (who basically started MW in his garage) hired me with a handshake while walking around the store. It was a fun place to work and people had a great time being employed there. He sold to some investors and is probably enjoying retirement. I believe the company started down hill from there. Many well compensated employees were let go, prices went up and the attitude of the staff went down. There maybe a few, if any, original employees left.

Now I am certainly not a bitter ex-employee, this was a part time gig to fill the gaps when I lost my job during the recent recession. I left on great terms (to return to my trade) and was still greeted with a handshake and a pat on the back (even from the upper management) when I came back in to purchase supplies.

I was told by midwest they moved their warehouse. Took them a couple months to get that about done. I hope their quick shipping comes back into play.

Man, I wish I would've checked this thread last week.

I placed an order Saturday (6/15) morning and it's still in processing, and have not heard back from my email asking for an update.

This really sucks...I really really liked Midwest's selection, website, product/packaging style, service, and general ethos. Looks like I'll be shopping around for my next order (although that'll be a while...current order is over $200).

As another former MW employee, I can confirm that they have merged with Northern Brewer. Many people lost their jobs for being redundant, and operations we abruptly moved to the norther brewer facilities.

I didn't know about this until I received nearly identical catalogs from both Midwest and NB in the mail today. Same products, same pricing, designed by the same layout artists no doubt... And then there is the fact that both catalogs were sent under the same US Postage permit, so I guess we have our Walmart of homebrewing now. Except with higher prices.

I was starting to get a little irritated by Northern Brewer's shift to "exclusive" products that were largely just branded versions of existing products (or direct ripoffs of other companies) at a huge markup, but running these two companies as separate brands when one is just a shell for the other seals the deal.

The local homebrew shop has earned my business many times over. Northwestern Brewer can keep sending me catalogs if they like, but I won't be doing any shopping there.

Latest posts

Back