northern brewer hefe -all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minbari

Reaction score
so I brewed the northern brewer hefe kit. all grain.

used the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan yeast. fermented at 65 F for 2 weeks and hit the FG. it was a 5 gallon batch and had about 4-5" of yeast slurry on the bottom. I mixed this in when I bottled it and now each bottle has about 1" of this slurry settling out.

it is normal to have this much liquidy slurry of yeast in each bottle?

You should have carefully siphoned the beer from above the trub leaving all the sludge behind. That was yeast, hops, proteins, and other junk that you DO NOT want in your bottles.

You should let then sit upright at room temperature. Normally I would say for about 3 weeks. Since you will want the debris in the bottles to compact as much as possible I would leave them for a couple of months. Then cool them for at least a week to hope they compact more. Then pour very slowly until the debris starts coming out of the bottle and stop. You are going to lose a lot of beer to that trub in the bottles.

Are you saying you mixed the tub into what you were bottling?

You should have carefully siphoned the beer from above the trub leaving all the sludge behind. That was yeast, hops, proteins, and other junk that you DO NOT want in your bottles.

You should let then sit upright at room temperature. Normally I would say for about 3 weeks. Since you will want the debris in the bottles to compact as much as possible I would leave them for a couple of months. Then cool them for at least a week to hope they compact more. Then pour very slowly until the debris starts coming out of the bottle and stop. You are going to lose a lot of beer to that trub in the bottles.

no, trub was left behind from the brew. this is purely yeast fallout from the fermentation. this is the first wheat beer I have done, so I am just curious of that much yeast is normal.

I did do a starter on the yeast and I understand this is a pretty crazy active yeast. plus Hefe is supposed to have some yeast left over. but this seems over the top.

There is a lot of junk in the beer while it ferments along with the yeast. The trub on the bottom of the fermenter is not just yeast. In fact I would say the yeast in it is less that 25%. You DO NOT want this in the bottles. There is plenty of yeast in suspension. If you stirred it up to get it in the bottles you are doing it wrong.

There is a lot of junk in the beer while it ferments along with the yeast. The trub on the bottom of the fermenter is not just yeast. In fact I would say the yeast in it is less that 25%. You DO NOT want this in the bottles. There is plenty of yeast in suspension. If you stirred it up to get it in the bottles you are doing it wrong.

damn......so if I do as you suggested and pour off the beer to just before the sediment, will it still be drinkable or this a ruined batch?

damn......so if I do as you suggested and pour off the beer to just before the sediment, will it still be drinkable or this a ruined batch?

The inch of trub in the bottles should compact to 1/2 inch or less. The beer above should be fine.

When I bottle there is 1/8 inch or less at the bottom of my bottles.

The inch of trub in the bottles should compact to 1/2 inch or less. The beer above should be fine.

When I bottle there is 1/8 inch or less at the bottom of my bottles.

cool thanks. :)

Back