Northern Brewer closed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Covid hit a while back, shipping of everything got delayed, and we were all understanding and good with it (generically speaking, anything you ordered from anywhere). Today we want it of course to all be back to normal. But when there are supply chain issues, staffing issues, and so on, the reality is that crap can still actually be really backed up and we aren't back to normal yet.

I think what we're seeing is that Ritebrew is a small company that has Neil there (plus maybe more people, I don't know) and so he's pretty on top of everything. Definitely goes out of stock on items, but overall does well and certainly ships right away. Northern's a huge company and is falling victim to supply chain and staffing issues. Same as it can be for any industry, comparing small and big companies.

I guess I'm just suggesting that long shipping times from Northern is basically a sign of the times right now. We don't need to be happy with it of course, and can go elsewhere. But shouldn't be surprised or anything.

Longer lead times are annoying but can be planned for. The fact that they don't give you any warning or an estimate on when things will actually ship is a bigger nuisance. If they had a note on their website saying 'orders from x date are shipping by eob tomorrow', you can at least get an idea on when your order will arrive.

I haven't gone into NB in a while, but I have gone to Midwest (their sister store) recently and while there are help wanted posters everywhere, the last two times I've gone there, there were 2-3 guys behind the desk not really doing anything (once they didn't even say hello or ask if I needed help). There were a few guys in the back, which I assume were handling the online orders, but I would think if they were weeks behind on grain orders (I made one because I'm lazy, didn't need it right away, and it took 3 weeks) that they might want to use some of those resources to keep the online folks happy? I don't know, I just know that I haven't been impressed with any of their customer service as of late.

In my travels through the "upper mid west" and "north coast", I have been able to visit a number of physical home brew stores.

Midwest Supplies, as of this past spring, continues to have the best in store selection of grains and hops.

It's been fun, the couple of times I've been there, to chew on a couple of kernels, visualize a recipe, pick up the remaining ingredients (plus additional stock up items) and walk out the door with a brew day in hand.

YMMV.

Still happening. Last order took 2 weeks. So they gave a 10 buck voucher. Ok. Now I have a order that no one wants to reply to. I've demanded a refund and haven't heard anything, NOTTA.
Unacceptable business practices.

On to other vendors who care.

I placed an order on Aug 30th and sent them an inquiry yesterday and haven’t heard a peep! Sucks there is no LHBS near me.

I placed an order on Aug 30th and sent them an inquiry yesterday and haven’t heard a peep! Sucks there is no LHBS near me.
Can't believe they are still this backed up. Morebeer ships within 2 days almost every time, but they don't have the malt I want. That comes from NB :(

Finally got an answer after two request in the Staus of my order. Had I know it would take this long upfront I would have gone elsewhere. I just ordered two acts of yeast and grains that are not milled. Can’t believe it takes this long to put an order together. I bought hops from YVH which arrived days ago.

Greetings, Jason

Thank you for the recent order. We have had some challenges with the current labor market and supply chains, which has lead to some delays. Your order was originally slotted to fulfill/ship on 9/5, but is currently back logged, by about 5-7 business days. we have brought on additional labor to help alleviate the back log.

We understand this will not work for everyone, if this is you, we can cancel the order if necessary. We do appreciate your continued patience, and will ship out your order as soon as possible. We are sorry for the additional wait. Please let me know if any changes are needed.

Well they decided to finally ship my order on a Friday just so it can sit in a warehouse all weekend. Got two grain bills and two different yeast packs on order.

Gee Thanks Northern Brewer!

Back