New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am wondering why my last beer tastes so strange... It is first time I have 22% spelt malt. How would that affect the taste compared to having 22% wheat malt?

67% Pale
22% spelt malt
11% oat malt

I am wondering why my last beer tastes so strange... It is first time I have 22% spelt malt. How would that affect the taste compared to having 22% wheat malt?

67% Pale
22% spelt malt
11% oat malt
Spelt has a character like wheat with a little more nuttyness. If that’s what your tasting then it’s the spelt

Anybody use any Artisan Hops? I usually order mine from Yakima Valley, but I found they have Nectaron in stock here: Nectaron® Hops (Pellets) | MoreBeer
I get hops from YVH most often, but I do order some from Morebeer now & then since I get most of my supplies and grain there. I've found their hops to be good quality. More than once I've been brewing with a mix of Morebeer hops and YVH and the Artisan/Morebeer smelled much better out of the bag.

One of the best double NEIPA I made... need to share the recipe... Used Escarpement labs Hydra yeast.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3194.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3194.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 0
Brewing with Nectaron for the first time on Saturday. I have a ton of hops, but thinking of pairing it with Idaho 7 and another hop (citra, galaxy, mosaic, or riwaka).

Plan is to use a small amount of home grown Columbus in the boil (this is something I pretty much always do) and I love Idaho 7 in the whirlpool.

BTW, the recent Craft Beer and Brewing podcast has an interview with Beth May and Lane Fearing of Roaring Table (who I think won a medal recently with their "Tuba Solo" hazy). They touched on a few concepts that I have not heard discussed much (like using salts other than Calcium Chloride to keep Calcium values low, low fermentation temps with Omega British Ale V, and a few others).

https://beerandbrewing.com/podcast-...le-brews-for-elegance-simplicity-and-texture/

Super simple grist of mostly 2-row with a touch of oats and wheat. 6.5% ABV, and hopped only with Nectaron. 2 ounces at 10, 4 ounces in Whirlpool, and 10 ounces in the dry hop. Dry hopped at 58° for 24 hours In a DryHop keg after soft crashing and dropping yeast, and roused it five times during those 24 hours. Then crashed it down to 34° for 72 hours, and jumped it into a liquid purge serving keg. Nectaron is amazing. It really is my favorite hop. It’s like a perfect mix of dank, spicy, fruity, and diesely, but all in such a pleasant way. None of those characteristics dominate or overpower the others, and they all just seem to meld perfectly together. It’s kind of like in between Nelson and galaxy in a somewhat indescribable way. If you haven’t had a chance to brew with it I highly recommend it.

View attachment 766579
Curious as to what you aimed for in terms of your FG for this 6.5% beer?

]It’s crazy how recently there’s been all this talk of Columbus hot side, and now Nelson/citra. I brewed this beer 15 days ago and used 4 ounces of Columbus lupomax hot side, and the DryHop was 6 ounces of Nelson and 4 ounces of citra lupomax. It was a bit of an experiment in which I was trying to push it quickly from start to finish, for no real specific reason. I used the dried version of Lutra from Omega and fermented it at 92°. It was done in three days, I then removed the heat and let it come down to room temp over the period of one day. I then soft crashed it to 58 for one day, transferred it and dry hopped it for 24 hours, then chilled and carbed it. From grain to glass in seven days, and it’s now been sitting in the keg for eight days. It’s definitely pretty tasty but not my favorite beer I’ve ever made. I feel like the Lutra has a kind of musky grape type thing that should pair well with Nelson, but I feel like it’s slightly overpowering it. Maybe it’ll continue to evolve with some more time but it’s pretty good nonetheless.

View attachment 769321
View attachment 769322
Use Lutra for lighter beers. I made a "German Pils-ish" turned "American Pils-ish" with Lutra, and it turned out fantastic.

Well, here's my Nectaron beer:

View attachment 769781

Honestly, this beer is super bizarre. In the words of my GF who is really honest about my beers, "it's not bad, it's just different". Look at the color. The aroma is fantastic. But the taste? Hmm. Weyermann Pilsner was a last minute choice. I think it was the wrong choice. I will not be using it for NEIPAs again. The mouth feel is off a bit. You get this nice crackery pilsner note after the hops fade, which is nice, but out of place for this style. It almost tastes like an American Ale NEIPA but pilsnery.

And that's how I used my Nectaron hops 🤷‍♂️.

The beer looks kind of washed out. Now I don't know your processes or anything, but if i was to hazard a guess at your issue, it would be either oxidation, or a fermentation flaw of some kind.

This is because nectaron, is one of the best new hops i've tried (i live in New Zealand), and having been a guines pig for in in the past, i can attest to its ability to stick with hops like citra, galaxy & mosaic.

have a look at your processes, and taste the beer (i suggest downloading a BJCP sheet, to see if you can taste any of the off-flavours present. oxidation in these beers can be quick to take hold, so its your most likely source of issue.

BTW, the recent Craft Beer and Brewing podcast has an interview with Beth May and Lane Fearing of Roaring Table (who I think won a medal recently with their "Tuba Solo" hazy). They touched on a few concepts that I have not heard discussed much (like using salts other than Calcium Chloride to keep Calcium values low, low fermentation temps with Omega British Ale V, and a few others).

https://beerandbrewing.com/podcast-...le-brews-for-elegance-simplicity-and-texture/
Very cool, tuba solo has won a bunch of awards, though I haven’t tried it. He mentions using KCl and a water profile of Ca 40, Cl 200, So4 40, low Na, low Mg and K of 40 ppm. Interesting profile I think I’ll give it a shot! That went along with 10-15% adjuncts and a FG of 5 Plato.
He also mentioned pushing Na up to 80 or higher in a pils, interesting!

Edit numbers

Last edited:
Very cool, tuba solo has won a bunch of awards, though I haven’t tried it. He mentions using KCl and a water profile of Ca 40, Cl 200, So4 40, low Na, low Mg and K of 40 ppm. Interesting profile I think I’ll give it a shot! That went along with 10-15% adjuncts and a FG of 5 Plato.
He also mentioned pushing Na up to 80 or higher in a pils, interesting!

Edit numbers
Ive seen people talk about the idea of keeping the calcium low in the mash but never really made a point to try it. I just ordered some food grade potassium chloride from Amazon and I’m going to try this in my next beer. Going to shoot for those exact numbers.

Sorry I haven't read any new papers on this subject but what is the purpose of trying to keep CA low? It's my understanding that calcium content in the mash is important, so is there a ceiling we hit with this style and the water we try to achieve.

Sorry I haven't read any new papers on this subject but what is the purpose of trying to keep CA low? It's my understanding that calcium content in the mash is important, so is there a ceiling we hit with this style and the water we try to achieve.
The brewer in the podcast believes that lowering the calcium has improved the mouthfeel of his hazy IPAs. In his opinion too much calcium makes the beer chalky, but he still wants the chloride high. So he subs in potassium chloride to keep the chloride up but calcium lower. He doesn’t eliminate calcium, just much lower than most people usually start with. He talks quite in depth about water and his personal preferences and experiences manipulating it. It’s a very good listen.

This one actually finished at 1.020. Higher than I’d hoped but I really enjoyed it.
Wow that is a little higher than I expected. I just looked the opshaug yeast up and the attenuation profile is very wide range - 69-80%. Glad it worked out well for ya anyways. Anyhow, on Sunday I finally pulled the trigger and did my own single hopped NEIPA. Typically with single hopped beers Ive been liking @Dgallo single hop pale ale recipe, but decided to deviate from that and make it more like the NEIPAs we all like. I used US05 yeast and ended up targeting 1.015 for FG in a beer expected to be ~6.6-6.8%. Used some of my Nectaron as the hop. Ive use it many times before in combination with others but never went the single hop route. We will see how it turns out. Haven't done a "lower" ABV NEIPA in a long while anyways lol.

Wow that is a little higher than I expected. I just looked the opshaug yeast up and the attenuation profile is very wide range - 69-80%. Glad it worked out well for ya anyways. Anyhow, on Sunday I finally pulled the trigger and did my own single hopped NEIPA. Typically with single hopped beers Ive been liking @Dgallo single hop pale ale recipe, but decided to deviate from that and make it more like the NEIPAs we all like. I used US05 yeast and ended up targeting 1.015 for FG in a beer expected to be ~6.6-6.8%. Used some of my Nectaron as the hop. Ive use it many times before in combination with others but never went the single hop route. We will see how it turns out. Haven't done a "lower" ABV NEIPA in a long while anyways lol.

That's a fun experiment! Do you go for a west coast IBU range or still using a NEIPA hopping schedule with a cleaner base?

The brewer in the podcast believes that lowering the calcium has improved the mouthfeel of his hazy IPAs. In his opinion too much calcium makes the beer chalky, but he still wants the chloride high. So he subs in potassium chloride to keep the chloride up but calcium lower. He doesn’t eliminate calcium, just much lower than most people usually start with. He talks quite in depth about water and his personal preferences and experiences manipulating it. It’s a very good listen.
Makes sense when you put it that way, I build my water off my private well with ward labs report, I think lately my CA has been around 80ppm, I don't get a chalkiness if that's a word haha, but I probably wouldn't go any higher with it either though I don't think 80 is near the threshold where its noticeable in my opinion. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get some KCL and aim for CA of 40.

Makes sense when you put it that way, I build my water off my private well with ward labs report, I think lately my CA has been around 80ppm, I don't get a chalkiness if that's a word haha, but I probably wouldn't go any higher with it either though I don't think 80 is near the threshold where its noticeable in my opinion. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get some KCL and aim for CA of 40.
There’s also nacl to keep your ca down and raise your Cl. This is what I use to keep my Ca at or under 100. The elevated na (in the 70s) have really brightening my hop expression and added to the mouthfeel as well

Ive seen people talk about the idea of keeping the calcium low in the mash but never really made a point to try it. I just ordered some food grade potassium chloride from Amazon and I’m going to try this in my next beer. Going to shoot for those exact numbers.
Please report back on this one, very curious about it.

There’s also nacl to keep your ca down and raise your Cl. This is what I use to keep my Ca at or under 100. The elevated na (in the 70s) have really brightening my hop expression and added to the mouthfeel as well

Very curious to try something like this, do you just sub equal amounts of NaCl for CaCl or use a calculator somewhere? Brewfather doesn't accommodate NaCL, unfortunately.

On an interesting note, I tried a Maple and Sea Salt stout last year that was outstanding. It was a little salty and super thick, I think that's basically NaCl to an extent...

Very curious to try something like this, do you just sub equal amounts of NaCl for CaCl or use a calculator somewhere? Brewfather doesn't accommodate NaCL, unfortunately.

On an interesting note, I tried a Maple and Sea Salt stout last year that was outstanding. It was a little salty and super thick, I think that's basically NaCl to an extent...
Brunwater supports it. I’ve been adding ~70ppm sodium to dark beers (honestly I think that was from a dgallo post somewhere ages ago) and I like it. Doesn’t taste salty at all. I hadn’t really so considered going that high for a hoppy beer but should be fine. Salt amps up flavor in food, why not in beers

Edit: haha didn’t even realize he said in the 70s a few posts ago

Brewfather does have NaCl in, it is down as Canning Salt in the water additions section. Possibly of interest is that here in the UK, Verdant suggest adding it late into the boil to get the best utilisation.

Brewfather does have NaCl in, it is down as Canning Salt in the water additions section. Possibly of interest is that here in the UK, Verdant suggest adding it late into the boil to get the best utilisation.

I'm able to add it to "Mash", but it doesn't seem to impact my Calcium levels in the water...

I'm able to add it to "Mash", but it doesn't seem to impact my Calcium levels in the water...
Calcium is Ca so unless you've already got some CaCl already in there it shouldn't alter the Ca levels when adding it, not withstanding whatever Gypsum you've added

I am aiming for 230 Cl.
To get there I start with adding NaCl until Na is 100. Then I add CaCl to get the remaining Cl.

Works nicely.

Be sure to use NaCl without iodine. Yeast don't like iodine.
I’ll add I don’t like the ones with anti caking agents either, I just use diamond kosher it’s just plain salt.

First pour of my latest, about 3 days in the keg, like zero hop burn, still a little green but wow cant wait for another week or 2. This is also my first competition brew, hopped with citra, galaxy and nectaron. Yeast is white labs coastal haze. 2row, white wheat, malted oats, touch of honey malt.
20220602_203552.jpg

Be careful to not use too much PC in your beer. I did once and it turned out terrible! Like very bad salty weird off flavor. I would start very low and work your way up.

I’ve got a beer finished fermenting with cosmic punch with citra and Columbus that tastes great now and I’m about to dry hop it. Plan is citra strata and Vic Secret (10oz/5g)… but I have to turn it in for a comp in 8 days! I’m a bit worried about the VS (a big polyphenol offender) leaving some hop burn for the first week or two, should I leave it out for the sake of the competition?!?
Edit update - well I’ll just answer my own dumb question in about a week. The VS smelled too good to pass it up. So we will see if I can rush this beer with it.

Last edited:
I’ve got a beer finished fermenting with cosmic punch with citra and Columbus that tastes great now and I’m about to dry hop it. Plan is citra strata and Vic Secret (10oz/5g)… but I have to turn it in for a comp in 8 days! I’m a bit worried about the VS (a big polyphenol offender) leaving some hop burn for the first week or two, should I leave it out for the sake of the competition?!?
Edit update - well I’ll just answer my own dumb question in about a week. The VS smelled too good to pass it up. So we will see if I can rush this beer with it.
Not much harm in entering and getting feedback on a 2 week old IPA. I personally shoot for 3-5 weeks in the keg when I enter competitions.

This is my latest attempt and I'm super proud of this one. Hands down my best effort so far. It's a Citra Oat Cream DIPA. Around 4 weeks in the keg now and it's come together so good now. After 2 weeks it wasn't where I wanted it to be so added 1oz Citra T90 and 1 oz Citra Lupomax. Not sure if this was the deal breaker or just needed more time but glad I did it.

Used 4 different types of Citra in this. T90, Lupomax, Incognito and Spectrum. I'm not overly impressed by the Spectrum and don't think I'd use it again especially given the cost but really not sure of I got anything extra out of it. I did just pour it into the fermenter and I read after this should have been diluted with water so not sure if that was the difference. Either way I think it's a cracking beer and my beer club agreed when I brought it to a meet up last week. Here's the details of it.

Crisp Extra Pale 51.5%
Oat Malt 17%
Flaked oat 17%
Carafoam 8%
Wheat malt 5.5%
Flaked Wheat 1% ( just had a few oz I wanted to use up)
Verdant Yeast

1oz Citra T90 10 minutes
2oz T90 whirlpool
1oz Lupomax whirlpool
15ml Citra Incognito whirlpool
1oz T90 dry hop, 1oz Lupomax and 22ml of Spectrum added at day 3.

Soft crashed to 55 degrees for 48 hours after fermentation and transferred to a fermentation purged keg with 2oz of T90 and 4oz of Lupomax. Held at 58 degrees for 48 hours then cold crashed for 48 hours and transferred to a fermentation purged serving keg. As I said above I added an oz of each T90 and Lupomax after 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 20220604_200027.jpg
    20220604_200027.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Be careful to not use too much PC in your beer. I did once and it turned out terrible! Like very bad salty weird off flavor. I would start very low and work your way up.
Any chance you remember how much you used? I typically use about 7.5 grams of calcium chloride, and was thinking about maybe splitting that in half with the potassium chloride, or something close to that. I don’t have the calculations in front of me, but I used my water calculator the other day and got pretty much dead on with the numbers the brewer in the podcast says he shoots for.

My most recent neipa.
7.8 abv
88.3 % 2 row
10.4 % white wheat
1.3 % golden naked oats
Og 1.78
Final 1.018
Mash temp 156F for 60 min
Mash out 170 for 10 min
Whirlpool for 30 min @ 170 with Nelson sauvin 4 oz.
Fermented with omega cosmic punch for 5 days then transferred to secondary to dry hop with 4oz of mouteka and 2 oz of enigma for 3 days @ 58 F. Transferred to serving keg at 38F for 7 days before serving. I did a 3/1 ratio of caCI2 to caSO4
Used R/O water. I used Nelson sauvin because it’s a high thiol hop and I wanted to get the most out of cosmic punch.

Attachments

• 3B2E8C30-7E94-401C-BF4B-C28726062800.jpeg
    3B2E8C30-7E94-401C-BF4B-C28726062800.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Back