New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted the picture of this on my Instagram but thought I’d update you folks with some info regarding the beer.

Beer Name: Lady May View attachment 767745

Grains:
76% - 2row
24% - White Wheat

Yeast:
Escarpment Labs - Ebbegarden Kviek
Fermented at 78*f for 8 days (was done day 3)

Hotside hops:
- .5 oz Citra
-.5 oz Simcoe @ 10

Whirlpool:
-2.5 oz Simcoe
- 1.5 oz Citra

Dryhop: (crashed, transferred off yeast at 54*f) ;
6 oz Motueka
4 oz Citra LUPOMAX
2 oz Simcoe

OG: 1.082 FG: 1.016 ABV: 8.6%
Looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I've been lurking around and reading up on 400+ pages of great info and hope to share one of my own concoctions soon.

Do you make any pH adjustments after mash out? Sorry if this was covered in previous posts. I typically mash at ~5.2-5.3, and have been adding some more lactic acid at the end of boil based on some readings, but I'm not really sure if there's noticeable benefit in aroma, or if it really helps to offset the pH increase of the heavy dry hop

Looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I've been lurking around and reading up on 400+ pages of great info and hope to share one of my own concoctions soon.

Do you make any pH adjustments after mash out? Sorry if this was covered in previous posts. I typically mash at ~5.2-5.3, and have been adding some more lactic acid at the end of boil based on some readings, but I'm not really sure if there's noticeable benefit in aroma, or if it really helps to offset the pH increase of the heavy dry hop
I have only done it once and really couldn’t tell a difference. Mashing at 5.3 and after dryhoping I’m pretty much landing around 4.5-4.6ph

I posted the picture of this on my Instagram but thought I’d update you folks with some info regarding the beer.

Grains:
76% - 2row
24% - White Wheat

Yeast:

Hotside hops:
- .5 oz Citra
-.5 oz Simcoe @ 10

Whirlpool:
-2.5 oz Simcoe
- 1.5 oz Citra

6 oz Motueka
4 oz Citra LUPOMAX
2 oz Simcoe

I just brewed up my Citra/Motueka NEIPA for the second time a few days ago. I rarely repeat, but this was one of my favorites NEIPAs I've ever made. My notes from last time... aroma is super intense, pineapple, lime, peach, floral. Flavor is amazing, mango, lime, peach, floral. Something about it is really light and saturated with flavor at the same time

I'll be curious to hear how yours tastes with the Simcoe addition.

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

1 oz Citra 20 min (18 IBU)
1 oz Citra whirlpool (5 IBU)
1 oz Citra Lupomax whirlpool (7 IBUS)
2 oz Motueka whirlpool (4 IBU)
2 oz Citra Lupomax dry hop
6 oz Motueka dry hop

Imperial Juice

I just brewed up my Citra/Motueka NEIPA for the second time a few days ago. I rarely repeat, but this was one of my favorites NEIPAs I've ever made. My notes from last time... aroma is super intense, pineapple, lime, peach, floral. Flavor is amazing, mango, lime, peach, floral. Something about it is really light and saturated with flavor at the same time

I'll be curious to hear how yours tastes with the Simcoe addition.

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

1 oz Citra 20 min (18 IBU)
1 oz Citra whirlpool (5 IBU)
1 oz Citra Lupomax whirlpool (7 IBUS)
2 oz Motueka whirlpool (4 IBU)
2 oz Citra Lupomax dry hop
6 oz Motueka dry hop

Imperial Juice
I got lime/orange citrus, peach/peach rings, and melon. It’s def in my top non-nelson combos.

Grains:
76% - 2row
24% - White Wheat

Yeast:

Hotside hops:
- .5 oz Citra
-.5 oz Simcoe @ 10

Whirlpool:
-2.5 oz Simcoe
- 1.5 oz Citra

6 oz Motueka
4 oz Citra LUPOMAX
2 oz Simcoe

Do you fine your beers at all (protafloc)?
They always look fantastic and I swore that I saw you didn't, irrespective of grist, but couldn't be sure.

Do you fine your beers at all (protafloc)?
They always look fantastic and I swore that I saw you didn't, irrespective of grist, but couldn't be sure.
I do not use any products to fine and my NEIPAS(everything else I do). That said I do get a decent hot and cold break, transferring as clear of wort as possible to the fermenter as possible. To be honest though, I started doing that for head retention purposes

I also have a CF10 and have recently brewed a few batches agitating from the bottom port using a "2" TC to Ball Lock GAS Post" that I bought on brewhardware.com. I agitate a few times per day during DH soft crash ~60F and it's made a noticeable difference in hop aroma and flavor for me.
How much psi do you use and how long do you run it?

I missed out on it last year but I have some Nectaron on the way this week.

What's a good go-to combo for it? I was thinking of keeping it simple, something like:

WP: 4:2 Citra:Nectaron
DH: 2:6 Citra:Nectaron

Also have some Simcoe, Amarillo, Mosaic, Galaxy.

My conical typically sits somewhere between 2-5 psi at this point. I set the CO2 regulator at 12psi and I hit the bottom port with a 3 second burst, wait a few seconds and do it one more time.
thank you. Do you have some kind of visual way to confirm this rousing works well or you go by aroma taste?

thank you. Do you have some kind of visual way to confirm this rousing works well or you go by aroma taste?
I do, I have a sight glass and I started rousing my spike cf15 and it definitely helps. My process is basically the same, I set my co2 to about 10psi, open the valve on the bottom of the fermenter and use the prv to allow it to burst through. I did it a couple times over 5 or 10 minutes twice a day during dry hop, which I do for 2 or 3 days at 55f

Tried out a "West Coast Hazy" Recently.

Typical Hazy Grist of:
4kg pilsner malt
1kg maris otter
1kg wheat
1kg flaked oats

he intention, to use more traditional classic west coast hops, and get it slightly drier, while still maintaining the hazy look, the intense hop aroma/flavour and straddle the bitterness line (bitterness higher than most hazy IPA's, but too low for a traditional west coaster.

High Chloride water.

Hops were:
FWH 15g Columbus
5min 15g Columbus
80deg C Hopstand of:
50g Cryo Simcoe
50g Cryo cascade
30g Centennial

DH1: 25g Cryo Simcoe / 25g Columbus

DH2: 25g Cryo Simcoe / 75g Centennial / 75g Cascade (non cryo)

Used the dry verdant (easy to manage and test out on experiments.

1.065 - 1.011

turned out really good, super happy with it. Definitely needs London III to increase that thiccness slightly, and use cryo cascade in the second dryhop as well.

Tried out a "West Coast Hazy" Recently.

Typical Hazy Grist of:
4kg pilsner malt
1kg maris otter
1kg wheat
1kg flaked oats

he intention, to use more traditional classic west coast hops, and get it slightly drier, while still maintaining the hazy look, the intense hop aroma/flavour and straddle the bitterness line (bitterness higher than most hazy IPA's, but too low for a traditional west coaster.

High Chloride water.

Hops were:
FWH 15g Columbus
5min 15g Columbus
80deg C Hopstand of:
50g Cryo Simcoe
50g Cryo cascade
30g Centennial

DH1: 25g Cryo Simcoe / 25g Columbus

DH2: 25g Cryo Simcoe / 75g Centennial / 75g Cascade (non cryo)

Used the dry verdant (easy to manage and test out on experiments.

1.065 - 1.011

turned out really good, super happy with it. Definitely needs London III to increase that thiccness slightly, and use cryo cascade in the second dryhop as well.
What is the flavor profile like?

I missed out on it last year but I have some Nectaron on the way this week.

What's a good go-to combo for it? I was thinking of keeping it simple, something like:

WP: 4:2 Citra:Nectaron
DH: 2:6 Citra:Nectaron

Also have some Simcoe, Amarillo, Mosaic, Galaxy.
I am curious to this as well, I'm brewing with nectaron for the first time this weekend and plan to pair it with citra and galaxy, maybe some mosaic but havent settled on amounts/ratios yet.

View attachment 767651

Pretty proud of this one. This is legit Troon, Trillium, Fidens, Monkish, etc…level.

73% 2-row
12% white wheat
12% malted oats
3% carafoam
2 pounds of brewers crystals

Mashed at 152

1.087 - 1.019 for 8.8% abv

Verdant yeast, 68 for the first 48 hours then 72 for the next 8 days. Soft crashed to 58 for 2 days before transferring to the dry hop keg.

Citra and mosaic lupomax hot side, 6oz galaxy, 4oz Nectaron, 2oz citra lupomax, 2oz mosaic lupomax dry hop. Dry hopped at 58 for 48 hours and roused/agitated it 8 separate times.

Then crashed down to 36 for 36 hours.

Loving these last few beers I’ve made and feel like I’ve really settled in to a nice groove with my process. Consistent, repeatable results every time.

Looks amazing, man. What was your hot side hop hop schedule like.

I have taken a break from NEIPAs lately because I haven't been happy with the past couple I've brewed but posts like this inspire me to try again...

Looks amazing, man. What was your hot side hop hop schedule like.

I have taken a break from NEIPAs lately because I haven't been happy with the past couple I've brewed but posts like this inspire me to try again...
Thanks!

15 min: 19 grams of citra lupomax and 19 grams of mosaic lupomax (equivalent of about 2 oz. T-90s)

170 WP: 38 grams of citra lupomax and 38 grams mosaic lupomax (about 4 oz. Equivalent of T-90s)

This beer is really good, but I will admit there is some lingering hop burn that’s pretty annoying. Currently have it sitting at 34 trying to drop it out as quick as possible. I’ve been taking small samples each day and it’s clearing up ever so slowly.

I think I roused it too many times/too aggressively and over extracted on the massive amount of hops I used.

Going forward I’m going to try 24 hours at 58, rousing 3-4 times, then crashing down to 34 for 72 hours before jumping to the serving keg. That schedule worked really nicely on a few previous beers I did.

Thanks!

15 min: 19 grams of citra lupomax and 19 grams of mosaic lupomax (equivalent of about 2 oz. T-90s)

170 WP: 38 grams of citra lupomax and 38 grams mosaic lupomax (about 4 oz. Equivalent of T-90s)

This beer is really good, but I will admit there is some lingering hop burn that’s pretty annoying. Currently have it sitting at 34 trying to drop it out as quick as possible. I’ve been taking small samples each day and it’s clearing up ever so slowly.

I think I roused it too many times/too aggressively and over extracted on the massive amount of hops I used.

Going forward I’m going to try 24 hours at 58, rousing 3-4 times, then crashing down to 34 for 72 hours before jumping to the serving keg. That schedule worked really nicely on a few previous beers I did.
That has been my biggest problem recently for some reason. I've tried every trick in the book and always seem to have some level of hop burn to deal with. It has been frustrating to say the least.

I am curious to this as well, I'm brewing with nectaron for the first time this weekend and plan to pair it with citra and galaxy, maybe some mosaic but havent settled on amounts/ratios yet.
Well I brewed exactly what I referred to in that post today:
OG 1.059
FG 1.012 (expected)
6% ABV

72% Weyermann pils
11% Malted oats
11% White wheat
5% Golden naked oats
2% Acidulated

75min mash at ~150F

WP 4:2 Citra:Nectaron @ 170F
DH chamber loaded with 2:6 Citra:Nectaron.

Pitched Escarpment Foggy London and it's already chugging along at 65F. Hoping to keep esters down a bit to showcase the hops more.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Just tasted the beer I brewed for the AHA competition. Its bitter and has an off flavor. I try to brew three of the same recipe with small variations to see differences. I scaled my one barrel recipe to 1/4. When checking my notes I see the acid adjustment was double,(excel error on my part). I noted the wort pH was 4.5. I think the low pH might be the cause of the added bitterness but in my effort to super clean everything I might have left some sanitizer in the lines.
I brew ten batched with no issues but when I need my best, .... ! Last batch is the best but not my standard quality.
If the pH of the wort is low prior to the boil can it be corrected?

If the pH of the wort is low prior to the boil can it be corrected?
Yes, you can make ph adjustments at anytime. You could adjust now in the keg if you wanted too. That said, when exactly did you get your reading of 4.5?

End of the mash befortransfering to the BK.
Gotcha. So you were most likely mashing around 4.7-4.8, which is pretty low where conversion could be hindered. That said, I can’t recall if low ph can cause tannin issues. Elevated ph tends to cause more issues IIRC.

Grains:
76% - 2row
24% - White Wheat

Yeast:

Hotside hops:
- .5 oz Citra
-.5 oz Simcoe @ 10

Whirlpool:
-2.5 oz Simcoe
- 1.5 oz Citra

6 oz Motueka
4 oz Citra LUPOMAX
2 oz Simcoe

Are there any notable perception differences compared to your grain bills that include malted oats?

Are there any notable perception differences compared to your grain bills that include malted oats?
It’s different in the fact that it’s not as thick/slick of a mouthfeel. It’s still full and soft but not “chewy”. The head retention is also much better

It’s different in the fact that it’s not as thick/slick of a mouthfeel. It’s still full and soft but not “chewy”. The head retention is also much better
I don’t know if it’s just me but I also found a distinct difference in taste between malted oats and flaked oats. I don’t know if it’s just because of the sheer amount more that you can use in comparison but it stood out to me as soon as I switched from flaked to malted.

Edit: Just realised I read the thread completely wrong but so this comment is not really relevant.

I don’t know if it’s just me but I also found a distinct difference in taste between malted oats and flaked oats. I don’t know if it’s just because of the sheer amount more that you can use in comparison but it stood out to me as soon as I switched from flaked to malted.
For me, spelt is the one where I notice the most change in flavor. I get a lot of robust wheat like flavors with a touch of nuttyness

I think it all comes down to the individual, meaning the brewer and their individual process. I've used spelt, not a huge difference for me, malted oats vs flaked, yeah malted much better, this yeast vs that yeast, I feel like everyone has a preference and it ultimately comes down to personal preference and personal tastes. I like to do a 60min addition, small but still there, that's my preference. This style is so fun to strive for your own personal opinion of perfection, and when you hit that, wow its satisfying. I got there on my last batch and a huge part of that is because of HBT and this thread. But its never one thing, its finding the right combo that works for you and your equipment. Sorry for the rant guys, btw brewing one tomorrow, hope it goes well.
Cheers!

For me, spelt is the one where I notice the most change in flavor. I get a lot of robust wheat like flavors with a touch of nuttyness

I bought some organic spelt from our local market that I’m really excited to use. I’m super interested to see if It elevates my beer in comparison to the weyerman product.

Maybe not relevant to this thread...but after brewing 6 of so batches of Saison with Rye (with minor tweaks to the recipe for each batch) then I brewed 2 batches with malted Spelt. The Spelt batches came across as much more sweet lacking the earthy complexity that I enjoyed with the Rye. The batch with Spelt did have a thick lasting head, more than I recall with the Rye batches.

I use a lot of malted wheat in beers and think it adds some creamy mouthfeel and head, with limited impact on the flavor. I find that flaked oats gives some similar characters with a touch of a nutty flavor. I like flaked oats partially because I can get 10 lbs at Costco for $8!

I have tasted lovely Eukanot Citra and Eukanot Mosaic neipas. So I tried this:

6 kg Pale
2 kg spelt malt
1 kg oat malt

OG 1069
FG 1014

Mash:
70 g Centennial
Hot:
50 g Citra
50 g Talus
25 g Loral
25 g Idaho-7
50 g Eukanot
Cold:
125 g Ekuanot
100 g Citra
75 g Amarillo
Serving keg:
50 g Mosaic Cryo
Yeast:
Lallemand New England
Lallemand Verdant

Hot side hop combo is a mix I have made inspired by the hop oil composition of the Cryo Pop Blend. This ratio will match the survival hop oil composition.

I like the aroma. Tropical and citrus fruits. Melon and flowers. And a touch of blueberry and dank pine.

The taste is more of the same, but sadly in a muddy and generic way, that reminds me of the Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy combination with bad quality Galaxy.

I like the color, mouthfeel, hazyness, head retention and aroma of this beer. But not the taste.

Could water profile affect the taste? To much NaCl?
Ca Mg SO4 Na Cl
130 15 50 100 230

Or did I use to much hops?
7 oz for boil and WP to 7.5 gal pre boil.
12.3 oz for DH to 5 gal.

Did not transfer WP hop and trub this time. Keged 4 weeks ago. Still staying hazy. 🙂

20220507_124801(1).jpg

Attachments

• 20220507_124801(1).jpg
    20220507_124801(1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Maybe having the fermentation purge the dry hop keg and also the serving keg at the same time would help keep some of the aroma in the serving keg, does this sound stupid?

I thought about running a line and putting the DH keg in the keezer to keep it cold. What I could do is just remove the dry hop keg and stick in the keezer after about day 4, I would think it would be full purged by then.

Just trying to tweak my process but this is pretty much what i have been doing. But my NEIPA’s never turn out as good as I'd prefer.
I purge both dry hop keg and serving keg during fermentation when possible(when I have an empty serving keg). I don't see how it would make a difference though, if you're worried about the hop blowoff.

Personally I think the advantages of doing it like this(limiting O2) far outweigh any risks. Beers won't have any aroma if they get oxidized, regardless of how careful someone is with dry hop blowoff. I can't see how a beer isn't getting at least mildly oxidized when people expose the beer to air to dry hop after fermentation is complete no matter how many times you purge it.

One thing that has become my SOP is attaching a spunding valve to the chain after a day or two and letting it pressurize by the end to about 20 psi. I like having the corny kegs very pressurized for cold crash, dry hop stage, eventual transferring, etc.

I have the dry hop keg sitting outside the ferm chamber(in my garage) so during the summer I'll sometimes disconnect it and move to the fridge after a few days but during cooler months I can leave it connected the whole time and not worry about the hops getting hot, which is perfect.

What is the flavor profile like?
Its pretty much how it sounds.

Big non-descript citrus, with a grapefruit peel smash in the face.

its more bitter than most hazies i've had, and but not so bitter as to be a WC IPA. its slightly drier, with that pillowyness.

columbus adds a nice dank note to it, wit hthe rest made up of centennial, cascade and a little simcoe.

really enjoyable.

Got a free 100g bag of Necatron hops on Monday. Date says 2022, which I assume is the 2021 crop being sold this year. I’ll probably use them in a neipa later this year.
Why? The NZ harvest was 2 months ago, it's certainly possible for it to be the first release of the 2022 harvest although it's pushing it.

How does one (say me, for instance) go about getting a free bag of nectaron hops?
LOL. Actually grabbed them at our HB club meeting Monday evening at Humdinger Brewing, the owners/brewers are part of our HB club. They recently attended the World Beer Cup Competition in Minneapolis and came home with two large bags of various hop samples. They let us go through and pick out any we wanted. I saw the Necatron and quickly grabbed them.

Forgot to post this before it blew. The grain bill was based off the Tuba Solo recipe in I forget what magazine. I used spelt instead of white wheat. My water profile was debated on here a bit and it's beautiful. Calcium was 20ppm, Mag 13ppm, Sodium 84ppm, Sulfate 98ppm, and Chloride 250ppm. Calculations were made in Bru'N Water Supporter Version. I used canning salt and potassium choloride to reach the high chloride levels with the low calcium levels. No hint of saltiness or anything weird with the water. This pour is 1 month after kegging. The only two gripes I had about it was a tad of green I didn't like and the poor head retention, but my wife loved it.

Attachments

• 20220512_000724.jpg
    20220512_000724.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Forgot to post this before it blew. The grain bill was based off the Tuba Solo recipe in I forget what magazine. I used spelt instead of white wheat. My water profile was debated on here a bit and it's beautiful. Calcium was 20ppm, Mag 13ppm, Sodium 84ppm, Sulfate 98ppm, and Chloride 250ppm. Calculations were made in Bru'N Water Supporter Version. I used canning salt and potassium choloride to reach the high chloride levels with the low calcium levels. No hint of saltiness or anything weird with the water. This pour is 1 month after kegging. The only two gripes I had about it was a tad of green I didn't like and the poor head retention, but my wife loved it.

That's the Beer & Brewing mag from a couple months ago, the recipe is a banger and the original beer is fantastic. This was the base for my last beer, too! Will def be using this recipe again.

How was the hop burn on this? The recipe calls for 2oz Galaxy mid-fermentation, which kind of ruined my beer for a few weeks until it mellowed out. Is that the "green" you're referring to?

Back