New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I overbuild my liquid starters and harvest on the front of brewing instead of from the fermenter. I am fine with using a little extra DME to accomplish this as I just like the simplicity and ease better than harvesting after the fact from a fermenter that has trub, yeast, and hops in it. Ive never done it though. I am pretty confident that with 3 generations of A24 harvested from overbuilt starters you would never notice the difference in the final product. I would also say that performance during fermentation is roughly equivalent too. The key is when harvesting from overbuilt starters is to make sure when you take the flask off the stir plate, to keep it moving constantly until you harvest to mason jars for storing. At least in my mind its important because it keeps the starter as homogenous as possible. I have never tried to push the envelope in how many generations I can go before you see/detect a noticeable difference in the yeast since it is a blend after all. But again, I think that if you harvest on the front end of this, A24is solid for 3 generations.

When you harvest it on the back end, do you notice a difference in fermentation performance and/or the overall beer even if just comparing a fresh pack vs 2nd generation?

This is a pretty good strategy, thanks, friend. I usually overbuild, but then cold crash the starter and decant. I think the decanting is what's been making the difference for me as the "beer" in the starter is still somewhat hazy when I decant it after 48 hours, I imagine that's A20 struggling to flocculate while the Conan has already dropped out.

After the first generation I always notice a less punchy ester profile, although it could just be all in my head... I'll definitely use your method next time for A24.

Trying out White Labs Burlington Ale yeast for the first time.

This yeast is the signature strain for a brewery in the Northeast United States, making it ideal for New England-style IPAs.

10# 2 Row
2# Oat Malt
2# White Wheat
1# Carafoam

Citra:Amarillo 50/50

Was my tried a true grist for awhile, but I've moved onto Mecca Grade for my neipas. Deep orange color, and I really like the malt flavor. I grabbed this grist at my local HB shop, as they're closing in a month :(

Super simple grist of mostly 2-row with a touch of oats and wheat. 6.5% ABV, and hopped only with Nectaron. 2 ounces at 10, 4 ounces in Whirlpool, and 10 ounces in the dry hop. Dry hopped at 58° for 24 hours In a DryHop keg after soft crashing and dropping yeast, and roused it five times during those 24 hours. Then crashed it down to 34° for 72 hours, and jumped it into a liquid purge serving keg. Nectaron is amazing. It really is my favorite hop. It’s like a perfect mix of dank, spicy, fruity, and diesely, but all in such a pleasant way. None of those characteristics dominate or overpower the others, and they all just seem to meld perfectly together. It’s kind of like in between Nelson and galaxy in a somewhat indescribable way. If you haven’t had a chance to brew with it I highly recommend it.

4BE24EB5-840E-4033-BD95-E24B7D0C72A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Super simple grist of mostly 2-row with a touch of oats and wheat. 6.5% ABV, and hopped only with Nectaron. 2 ounces at 10, 4 ounces in Whirlpool, and 10 ounces in the dry hop. Dry hopped at 58° for 24 hours In a DryHop keg after soft crashing and dropping yeast, and roused it five times during those 24 hours. Then crashed it down to 34° for 72 hours, and jumped it into a liquid purge serving keg. Nectaron is amazing. It really is my favorite hop. It’s like a perfect mix of dank, spicy, fruity, and diesely, but all in such a pleasant way. None of those characteristics dominate or overpower the others, and they all just seem to meld perfectly together. It’s kind of like in between Nelson and galaxy in a somewhat indescribable way. If you haven’t had a chance to brew with it I highly recommend it.

View attachment 766579
Looks great man. Glad to see a solo nectron NEIPA, def proves at a high hop rate, there’s nothing strange in the character. I heard through an industry guy that nectron is going to be difficult to get again this upcoming harvest in a month or so. Hopefully he is incorrect. I’m hoping to do quite a bit with it next year

Looks great man. Glad to see a solo nectron NEIPA, def proves at a high hop rate, there’s nothing strange in the character. I heard through an industry guy that nectron is going to be difficult to get again this upcoming harvest in a month or so. Hopefully he is incorrect. I’m hoping to do quite a bit with it next year
I have a feeling it’s going to be very difficult to get. It’s definitely going to explode in popularity. They’re probably gonna totally ramp up the acreage and go through some of the growing pains like they did with galaxy, (or any other hop for that matter) but hopefully it won’t be too bad getting absolute garbage Nectaron. We’ll see though, but it’s definitely a phenomenal hop.

Last edited:

View attachment 766579
Looks great @HopsAreGood ! I have never dry hopped that much for 6.5% myself. Ive done 10oz but thats been for 7.5-8.5% beers. Been thinking of trying a single hop NEIPA with what I have of Nectaron (20oz) as well but haven't pulled the trigger. Id hate to pop a chub over a great beer only to know that I won't be getting it in the next year due to unavailability lol.

EDIT: what yeast did ya use for this one? Still doing the dry yeast blending?

Looks great @HopsAreGood ! I have never dry hopped that much for 6.5% myself. Ive done 10oz but thats been for 7.5-8.5% beers. Been thinking of trying a single hop NEIPA with what I have of Nectaron (20oz) as well but haven't pulled the trigger. Id hate to pop a chub over a great beer only to know that I won't be getting it in the next year due to unavailability lol.

EDIT: what yeast did ya use for this one? Still doing the dry yeast blending?

For this one I actually used white labs opshaug. It’s a lesser known kveik that is verrry clean. To me it imparts zero yeast character whatsoever and let’s the hops and malt come through crystal clear. I like to use it when I’m doing single hop beers to really get a feel for what a given hop brings to the table.

In terms of yeast blending, I’ve pretty much settled in on using verdant by itself for the most part. I really like it, its simple to use, and has become very predictable for me. The lallemand pitch rate calculator is awesome as well.

View attachment 766579
Looks great. Might have to give that hop a whirl. Been crushing Simcoe lately.

For this one I actually used white labs opshaug. It’s a lesser known kveik that is verrry clean. To me it imparts zero yeast character whatsoever and let’s the hops and malt come through crystal clear. I like to use it when I’m doing single hop beers to really get a feel for what a given hop brings to the table.

In terms of yeast blending, I’ve pretty much settled in on using verdant by itself for the most part. I really like it, its simple to use, and has become very predictable for me. The lallemand pitch rate calculator is awesome as well.
Never used opshaug before and Ive read similar to how you describe. I like the idea of a clean yeast for these single hopped beers as well. As for Verdant IPA, Im actually using it for the first time right now. Ive used Imperial Juice but not LAIII. I gotta say it was a monster for the first 48hrs and today is day three and it slowed to a crawl with that bigass yeasty krausen left. Behaving similar to Juice for me. Hoping that krausen doesn't want to hang around toooo long lol.

By "predictable" what kind of attenuation you normally get? Were you referring to something else by "predictable" or just generalizing its performance and flavor/aroma overall. I hate the Lallemand website doesn't give numbers it just says "medium to high" attenuation. For first timers, I like to see some darn numbers to plan accordingly. Anyhow I ended up using the calculator from Lallemand I pitched 17grams. The only issue is that this bad boy blew out about a quart on the massive blowoff, lol. Im thinking - thats less yeast in the fermenter to finish the job! lol. We will see how it works out.

Speaking of clean-ish yeasts, don’t believe I’ve seen a mention of Omega’s thiolized Chico strain on here yet. Guess it was just released.

Introducing Star Party
I believe its only been available about 14 day or so (maybe even less). Pretty certain @secretlevel just pitched it in a West Coast IPA. I'm looking to use it in my Hoppy Red Ale recipe

Last edited:
Never used opshaug before and Ive read similar to how you describe. I like the idea of a clean yeast for these single hopped beers as well. As for Verdant IPA, Im actually using it for the first time right now. Ive used Imperial Juice but not LAIII. I gotta say it was a monster for the first 48hrs and today is day three and it slowed to a crawl with that bigass yeasty krausen left. Behaving similar to Juice for me. Hoping that krausen doesn't want to hang around toooo long lol.

By "predictable" what kind of attenuation you normally get? Were you referring to something else by "predictable" or just generalizing its performance and flavor/aroma overall. I hate the Lallemand website doesn't give numbers it just says "medium to high" attenuation. For first timers, I like to see some darn numbers to plan accordingly. Anyhow I ended up using the calculator from Lallemand I pitched 17grams. The only issue is that this bad boy blew out about a quart on the massive blowoff, lol. Im thinking - thats less yeast in the fermenter to finish the job! lol. We will see how it works out.
By predictable I pretty much just mean everything about it. If you’ve used juice/LA three Then it behaves similarly. Initially I was getting a lot of under attenuation, so I started mashing a lot lower when using it. I’m at around 150 or sometimes 152 with it and have been getting between 76 to 79% attenuation.

It does start very fast and goes crazy for about the first 48 hours. After these first 48 hours is when the Krausen really starts to crawl and you have to watch it. Sometimes I have to open the lid and knock it down a little bit, and other times it stops just shy of me needing to do something to it. As soon as it starts to slow down from its initial craziness, I bump the temp up to 72 which I feel helps it to attenuate a little bit better. And then just hold it at 72 for the duration of fermentation.

It typically bubbles away for a few more days and the krausen is typically fully dropped by day five. I actually have one going right now with it and it’s behaved exactly how I just described.

When I use the lallemand pitch calculator, I typically round up about 1 g. For this current beer I have going right now they recommend at 18.1 g and I gave it 19. I love the fact that I don’t have to worry about starters or yeast viability, cell count, etc.

To me the finished product is very similar to juice or LA three. It has a little bit of its own character that I quite like and have been using it pretty consistently for a while now.

By predictable I pretty much just mean everything about it. If you’ve used juice/LA three Then it behaves similarly. Initially I was getting a lot of under attenuation, so I started mashing a lot lower when using it. I’m at around 150 or sometimes 152 with it and have been getting between 76 to 79% attenuation.

It does start very fast and goes crazy for about the first 48 hours. After these first 48 hours is when the Krausen really starts to crawl and you have to watch it. Sometimes I have to open the lid and knock it down a little bit, and other times it stops just shy of me needing to do something to it. As soon as it starts to slow down from its initial craziness, I bump the temp up to 72 which I feel helps it to attenuate a little bit better. And then just hold it at 72 for the duration of fermentation.

It typically bubbles away for a few more days and the krausen is typically fully dropped by day five. I actually have one going right now with it and it’s behaved exactly how I just described.

When I use the lallemand pitch calculator, I typically round up about 1 g. For this current beer I have going right now they recommend at 18.1 g and I gave it 19. I love the fact that I don’t have to worry about starters or yeast viability, cell count, etc.

To me the finished product is very similar to juice or LA three. It has a little bit of its own character that I quite like and have been using it pretty consistently for a while now.
Thanks for the reply! yeah the first 48hrs were insane for me too, I did exactly as you mentioned at the beginning of day three by bumping it up in temp to 71-72 where it is now (working on day 4) with a thick krausen still. the krausen looks yeast-slurry like to me, more than just your typical foam-like krausen. Might try to gently swirl to help knock it down a bit to get that top cropping yeast back in suspension. Thanks again

Thanks for the reply! yeah the first 48hrs were insane for me too, I did exactly as you mentioned at the beginning of day three by bumping it up in temp to 71-72 where it is now (working on day 4) with a thick krausen still. the krausen looks yeast-slurry like to me, more than just your typical foam-like krausen. Might try to gently swirl to help knock it down a bit to get that top cropping yeast back in suspension. Thanks again
Yep, it’s definitely never a typical white Krausen. Kind of brown and crusty that leaves an off whiteish sludge when it drops. I just took a gravity sample exactly 5 days in and it’s gone from 1.086 down to 1.019 for about 78% attenuation. The Krausen is completely dropped and it’s just slowly bubbling away. It may be able to push out another point or two but it may also be done. This is the exact behavior I’ve come to expect from this yeast when using it the way I’ve been using it.

I’ll probably let it sit for another five days at 72, and then drop it down to about 55 to 58 for 48 hours before transferring it into the dryhop keg. Going to hit it with 10 ounces of Nectaron, 2 ounces of citra lupomax, and 2 ounces of mosaic lupomax. Definitely going to be a big beer.

8.8% abv If it’s finished, and the equivalent of about 2 1/2 pounds per barrel hot side, and 6 1/2 pound per barrel dryhop. So nearly a 9% beer with about 9 pounds per barrel total hopping rate. (22oz)

Last edited:
Just kegged my beer using the Verdant yeast over the weekend. Was really impressed with how it performed. Got from 1.079 to 1.017 so 77.2% attenuation. I top cropped some yeast to use in my next brew. I know the ease of just pitching dry yeast is great but these English strains just seem to get better with each use. Hopefully the built up starter will perform just as well as the dry pack. So far my impression is that this will be my go to yeast going forward.

Ok so i havent brewed a NEIPA since June. I came across Dgallo's recipe from back in December which i happen to have most of these hops laying around so going to give this a go hopefullly next weekend. Also never used Spelt before.

Are most folks still doing two DH additions? Just listened to a podcast where a guy DH as soon as fermentation started (so basically day 1) and made a 43point NEIPA.

8C3A506F-4CDA-4537-99FB-E85D637352A3.jpeg

Ok so i havent brewed a NEIPA since June. I came across Dgallo's recipe from back in December which i happen to have most of these hops laying around so going to give this a go hopefullly next weekend. Also never used Spelt before.

Are most folks still doing two DH additions? Just listened to a podcast where a guy DH as soon as fermentation started (so basically day 1) and made a 43point NEIPA.

View attachment 766835
Hop combo looks solid to me overall. For the DH process, what is your normal process? I still have never DH during active fermentation and have always soft crashed the yeast out post fermentation to 50 degrees F for about 36hrs prior to raising a bit to ~54-56F for the DH additions. The one time I tried skimping on the soft crash (I soft crashed to 56 for 24hrs) I was using A24, I don't think I got a good soft crash AND that particular batch I was also using Galaxy. For my taste that beer was a little too much/rough which I think is due to the high polyphenol? content of galaxy. So especially when using galaxy in the DH I am sure to get a good soft crash to drop as much yeast out as I can prior to DHing at mid 50s. My speculation would be that galaxy DH during active fermentation at days ~1-2 might be too much "fire" in my mind.

View attachment 766835
Personally, I've settled on 1 dry hop about 24-48 hours before kegging, after soft crashing yeast out around 50F for 24 hours. I've heard that multiple DH help layer the aroma and flavor. Personal preference, I guess.

Personally, I've settled on 1 dry hop about 24-48 hours before kegging, after soft crashing yeast out around 50F for 24 hours. I've heard that multiple DH help layer the aroma and flavor. Personal preference, I guess.
I’ve been doing one addition lately as well. Soft crashing the fermenter down to 55-58 for 48 hours after fermentation has completely stopped. Then transferring into a purged dry hop keg. After transferring I pop the lid briefly while running co2 through the gas post, drop hops in, then purge to 30 psi several times after sealing the lid. I’ve been having excellent results with this.

I’m considering doing two separate additions on my next dry hop…just not sure if the two stage addition is worth opening the lid a second time. I rouse/agitate the dry hop keg fairly aggressively, so I doubt the benefit of extra surface area for two smaller drops would really matter. We’ll see.

I’ve been doing one addition lately as well. Soft crashing the fermenter down to 55-58 for 48 hours after fermentation has completely stopped. Then transferring into a purged dry hop keg. After transferring I pop the lid briefly while running co2 through the gas post, drop hops in, then purge to 30 psi several times after sealing the lid. I’ve been having excellent results with this.

I’m considering doing two separate additions on my next dry hop…just not sure if the two stage addition is worth opening the lid a second time. I rouse/agitate the dry hop keg fairly aggressively, so I doubt the benefit of extra surface area for two smaller drops would really matter. We’ll see.
That's been my concern. I try to open the lid as few times as possible. My system doesn't allow for oxygen free DH.

Last edited:
I really like the dry hop keg method that @HopsAreGood does. It lets you crash yeast out and do lots dry hop agitation. I did it for 4 beers and had great results each time.

Since then I got plagued by the materialistic home brewers addiction to shiny things and bought a spike conical. My results on the conical have not been as good, WAY less aroma, despots crashing out yeast and using a low o2 hop dropper for dry hopping. All the hops fall into the cone and I didn’t agitate - seems to make a big difference to me.

I really like the dry hop keg method that @HopsAreGood does. It lets you crash yeast out and do lots dry hop agitation. I did it for 4 beers and had great results each time.

Since then I got plagued by the materialistic home brewers addiction to shiny things and bought a spike conical. My results on the conical have not been as good, WAY less aroma, despots crashing out yeast and using a low o2 hop dropper for dry hopping. All the hops fall into the cone and I didn’t agitate - seems to make a big difference to me.
How heavy is the conical? Can you invert it (Once the yeast is dropped)? Are there any low ports that you could send co2 through? Or is there a way to modify it with a weighted hose tht would let you bring co2 in from the top to rouse it?

I theoretically do the same at @HopsAreGood but rack over to another purged fermonster that is preloaded with the dryhop. I’ll close a transfer to that and set it to 4-6 psi and then dryhop and agitate under some pressure. This way I can be more consistent with volume and still fill a full keg. Maybe this is an option for you if you’re having difficulties with agitating with the SS

Thanks, yeah there a couple of things I want to try. One is getting a TC gas post so I can rumble CO2 through the bottom. Another is putting a BV at the bottom of the conical (above the elbow and sight glass) so the dry hops stay up in the conical and don’t fall down into the elbow. Another is rocking the whole thing around a few time, which I think I will try but it seems a little sketchy with a CF10. I also want to play with letting the temp rise back up to 60F and letting my hops warm up to room temp before tossing them in so they don’t sink. But this alll seems a little overly complicated 🤔

The last few times I have dry hopped using a purged keg from the fermentation. The DH sit in the purged keg at outdoor temps until I transfer from my conical to the dry hop keg. I use a keg and run the dip tube through a hop spider and throw the hops in loose.

I have two concerns, one is the hops sit in the keg for 14 or so days in my garage. Second, I’m concerned the gas from fermentation purging through the hop keg is causing the hops to loose some aroma. The DH keg I run the co2 hose into a bucket of starsan.

The last few times I have dry hopped using a purged keg from the fermentation. The DH sit in the purged keg at outdoor temps until I transfer from my conical to the dry hop keg. I use a keg and run the dip tube through a hop spider and throw the hops in loose.

I have two concerns, one is the hops sit in the keg for 14 or so days in my garage. Second, I’m concerned the gas from fermentation purging through the hop keg is causing the hops to loose some aroma. The DH keg I run the co2 hose into a bucket of starsan.
I did it your way for a few brews and had the exact same concerns so I switched to opening the purged keg, dump the hops in and purge some more like the process Hops are Good set out. The smell while the keg was purging with the hops sitting in it was incredible so reckon that aroma wasn't going into the finished beer.

Maybe having the fermentation purge the dry hop keg and also the serving keg at the same time would help keep some of the aroma in the serving keg, does this sound stupid?

I thought about running a line and putting the DH keg in the keezer to keep it cold. What I could do is just remove the dry hop keg and stick in the keezer after about day 4, I would think it would be full purged by then.

Just trying to tweak my process but this is pretty much what i have been doing. But my NEIPA’s never turn out as good as I'd prefer.

0042D6C4-C5D7-4840-80FC-9FAC2DE33FA5.png

Last edited:

Thanks, yeah there a couple of things I want to try. One is getting a TC gas post so I can rumble CO2 through the bottom. Another is putting a BV at the bottom of the conical (above the elbow and sight glass) so the dry hops stay up in the conical and don’t fall down into the elbow. Another is rocking the whole thing around a few time, which I think I will try but it seems a little sketchy with a CF10. I also want to play with letting the temp rise back up to 60F and letting my hops warm up to room temp before tossing them in so they don’t sink. But this alll seems a little overly complicated 🤔
I also have a CF10 and have recently brewed a few batches agitating from the bottom port using a "2" TC to Ball Lock GAS Post" that I bought on brewhardware.com. I agitate a few times per day during DH soft crash ~60F and it's made a noticeable difference in hop aroma and flavor for me.

3D81CB30-6F8C-4243-B2A5-AB5C4FB32E95.jpeg

Pretty proud of this one. This is legit Troon, Trillium, Fidens, Monkish, etc…level.

73% 2-row
12% white wheat
12% malted oats
3% carafoam
2 pounds of brewers crystals

Mashed at 152

1.087 - 1.019 for 8.8% abv

Verdant yeast, 68 for the first 48 hours then 72 for the next 8 days. Soft crashed to 58 for 2 days before transferring to the dry hop keg.

Citra and mosaic lupomax hot side, 6oz galaxy, 4oz Nectaron, 2oz citra lupomax, 2oz mosaic lupomax dry hop. Dry hopped at 58 for 48 hours and roused/agitated it 8 separate times.

Then crashed down to 36 for 36 hours.

Loving these last few beers I’ve made and feel like I’ve really settled in to a nice groove with my process. Consistent, repeatable results every time.

View attachment 767651

Pretty proud of this one. This is legit Troon, Trillium, Fidens, Monkish, etc…level.

73% 2-row
12% white wheat
12% malted oats
3% carafoam
2 pounds of brewers crystals

Mashed at 152

1.087 - 1.019 for 8.8% abv

Verdant yeast, 68 for the first 48 hours then 72 for the next 8 days. Soft crashed to 58 for 2 days before transferring to the dry hop keg.

Citra and mosaic lupomax hot side, 6oz galaxy, 4oz Nectaron, 2oz citra lupomax, 2oz mosaic lupomax dry hop. Dry hopped at 58 for 48 hours and roused/agitated it 8 separate times.

Then crashed down to 36 for 36 hours.

Loving these last few beers I’ve made and feel like I’ve really settled in to a nice groove with my process. Consistent, repeatable results every time.
I love that color!

I posted the picture of this on my Instagram but thought I’d update you folks with some info regarding the beer.

Beer Name: Lady May
D7B2265A-8BA8-4406-B9C2-752F5D7EA1AA.jpeg

Grains:
76% - 2row
24% - White Wheat

Yeast:
Escarpment Labs - Ebbegarden Kviek
Fermented at 78*f for 8 days (was done day 3)

Hotside hops:
- .5 oz Citra
-.5 oz Simcoe @ 10

Whirlpool:
-2.5 oz Simcoe
- 1.5 oz Citra

Dryhop: (crashed, transferred off yeast at 54*f) ;
6 oz Motueka
4 oz Citra LUPOMAX
2 oz Simcoe

OG: 1.082 FG: 1.016 ABV: 8.6%

Looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I've been lurking around and reading up on 400+ pages of great info and hope to share one of my own concoctions soon.

Do you make any pH adjustments after mash out? Sorry if this was covered in previous posts. I typically mash at ~5.2-5.3, and have been adding some more lactic acid at the end of boil based on some readings, but I'm not really sure if there's noticeable benefit in aroma, or if it really helps to offset the pH increase of the heavy dry hop

Back