New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Testing Cryo Pop™ Original Blend tomorrow, I wonder if I should boost the Dry hop even if it's cryo?
Yeast: Hydra Escarpment lab
cryopop.png

A professional brewing buddy just informed me of a new product (maybe new to just me) from Hopstiener called Salvo. It’s a high beta acid advanced hop product that has removed all alpha acids designed specifically to boost aroma/flavor. He just released a beer with it and I can’t wait to try it. I’ll certainly update the thread once I try the beer.

For those interested, here is the info on the product. Salvo™ - Hopsteiner

The 2021 Lupomax got released and a bunch of the 2020 is on sale for ~3.50-4. Amarillo was still 5 bucks and is first on the list so when you first click "2020" it will select Amarillo and show 5 bucks, but click around the varieties.
I just grabbed a 8 oz bag. It was just under $2/oz this way
A2A0985B-74B2-4035-992A-7DD80D511ED7.jpeg

70AA82B3-2221-4E30-8547-9E8F3DAC91FC.jpegAnyone else brewing tonight? I have a NEIPA going with:

71.4% 2 Row
19.1% Spelt
2.4% Carapils

and using CTZ lopomax for FWH
And some Idaho 7 and Citra in the boil and then some Citra Lupomax, Idaho 7, and Citra T90 in the WP. Going with 6 oz Citra Lupomax, 1 oz Citra Cryo, 1.35 oz Citra T90, and 2 oz I7 in the DH after ferm and soft crash. Hoping this will be a bit better than my last which was amazing but was a little muddled due to the amount of hop varietals I used. Just trying to keep it a bit more simple and with a bit more punch than last time. Also using Verdant yeast to hopefully get my FG down in the teens since Juice hasn’t been doing it for me.

Last edited:
Brewing tomorrow with Belma and a kiss of Vic Secret. Using Cosmic Punch as my yeast. Hopefully after the long absence of Belma it still gives me that big strawberry note. *crosses fingers
I wanted to try cosmic punch but I didn’t have time for a starter. I first used Belma back in 2014 and definitely got that strawberry but don’t think I’m a fan. Good luck!

For NEIPA is the flavor and smell generated mostly during WP or DH?

I’ve been trying to get this down for a while and went as far as DH at a 5LB/bbl and it came out grassy and too much hop bite. I gave it enough time that most of the hop bite dissolved buttoo much of it is still there for an NEIPA

I'd say both. And even the 5-10 min boil addition add a missing layer for me. Unfortunately there is no shorth answers for that but yeah if you go heavy with some varieties of hops you can get some harsh and bitter flavor. been there done that.

Here is some things that improved my DH overtime:
-let the beer finished with no diacetyl and crash the yeast if you can before the DH.
-DH temp 50-58 for a maximum of 3 days. (yes hops adds additionnal sugar to ferment)
-a GOOD cold crash at 1-3c for 24/48h. (mandatory if you go heavy on hops)
-Let the beer alone and don't try to keg it in 5-7 days.
-If I go heavy on DH, keg time conditioning is longer (I had beer that was astonishing only after 10-12 kegging time)

AND hops quality (for us homebrewer) is a thing more than you think. I'm a sabro fan:yes: and the one that I got this year can scrap a batch himself. (I did a side by side to confirm it and throw the rest in the garbage).

Cheers and happy brewing

Last edited:

Cheers and happy brewing

after crashing the hops do you try and remove them?
I have a conical and have the ability to do that. Just thinking of beer loss.

I pretty much follow everything you mentioned expect I don’t remove the yeas, as mentioned the hops do give off sugar and this allows the yeast to eat and create more alcohol and purge any remaining O2

after crashing the hops do you try and remove them?
I have a conical and have the ability to do that. Just thinking of beer loss.

I pretty much follow everything you mentioned expect I don’t remove the yeas, as mentioned the hops do give off sugar and this allows the yeast to eat and create more alcohol and purge any remaining O2

Brewed like 20+ Neipa in a Chonical and the last 10+ are in a Fermzilla All rounder and noticed 0 difference when I was dumping yeast or hops. The fact that I DH cold 50-55F don't restart the yeast. I don't say don't drop the yeast (you should if you can) but I ended up lossing like 1 gal of beer.

I use my chonical for conditionning lager now.

Brewed like 20+ Neipa in a Chonical and the last 10+ are in a Fermzilla All rounder and noticed 0 difference when I was dumping yeast or hops. The fact that I DH cold 50-55F don't restart the yeast. I don't say don't drop the yeast (you should if you can) but I ended up lossing like 1 gal of beer.

I have been wondering about this and have thought about getting the all rounder. I have the Fermzilla with the collection jar but man can that thing be a pain. With the yeast still in the fermenter, do you shake it up ever so often to rouse the dry hops? That’s the one thing that worries me. Even dry hopping cold, could the yeast be stripping the hops of some oils if the yeast is still present?

Ah so I overlooked the temp you DH at, I kept a it at 80° where I was fermenting at

Got finished in work by lunchtime so brewing a Nectaron and CItra DIPA. Hopefully my efficiency improves on my new G40. Can't wait to try Nectaron, just wish I got more at the time.
Nectaron prob my fav hop of last year

I'd say both. And even the 5-10 min boil addition add a missing layer for me. Unfortunately there is no shorth answers for that but yeah if you go heavy with some varieties of hops you can get some harsh and bitter flavor. been there done that.

-let the beer finished with no diacetyl and crash the yeast if you can before the DH.
-DH temp 50-58 for a maximum of 3 days. (yes hops adds additionnal sugar to ferment)
-If I go heavy on DH, keg time conditioning is longer (I had beer that was astonishing only after 10-12 kegging time)

AND hops quality (for us homebrewer) is a thing more than you think. I'm a sabro fan:yes: and the one that I got this year can scrap a batch himself. (I did a side by side to confirm it and throw the rest in the garbage).

Cheers and happy brewing

Hi there! I also do pretty much all that, but I misundertood this:

So, after 3 days DH you crash (still with hops in the fermenter) for 24/48h and then you let the beer alone for 5-7 days before keg it? With hops inside or you dump them?

Thanks for sharing!

Looking at putting in a Yakima Valley order in over the next few days now they have 2021 Lupomax in. Is there any newer hops with the wow factor for this style I should be looking at?

Looking at putting in a Yakima Valley order in over the next few days now they have 2021 Lupomax in. Is there any newer hops with the wow factor for this style I should be looking at?
I just grabbed a lb of simcoe. Any beer I’ve had recently with simcoe has been great with a true orange, close to orange sherbet character. Hoping I will be lucky with the lot I got

I just grabbed a lb of simcoe. Any beer I’ve had recently with simcoe has been great with a true orange, close to orange sherbet character. Hoping I will be lucky with the lot I got
Have a lb of that in my cart. Haven't been able to get really fresh Simcoe for a while now.

Hi there! I also do pretty much all that, but I misundertood this:

So, after 3 days DH you crash (still with hops in the fermenter) for 24/48h and then you let the beer alone for 5-7 days before keg it? With hops inside or you dump them?

Thanks for sharing!

After 3 days of DH, I cold crash 24/48h. I let the Hop inside, no more dump.
Let the beer alone meant don't rush the beer. Let it ferment and diacetyl test it before kegging it.

Thank you to all the contributors on this thread. This came out fantastic. 10 gallon batch. Used 1 pound each of Citra and mosaic. Threw in a 2 oz packet of galaxy in the dry hop as well just because I had it laying around. I had some issues with starters so I had to pitch dry yeast. Lallemand New England. Though it tastes great, wouldn’t recommend using the yeast. I knowingly underpitched, but it took 48 hours to get rolling.

Attachments

• IMG_0356.MOV
    14.2 MB
I see that a lot of you now dry hoping below 60. Do you all wait until terminal gravity, then soft crash, and just open the hops in? Anything to avoid o2?

I typically ferment in a corny and dry hop with a few points left, then transfer to the serving keg. It seems the soft crash might interfere with finishing the fermentation, but I suppose ive never tried it.

I see that a lot of you now dry hoping below 60. Do you all wait until terminal gravity, then soft crash, and just open the hops in? Anything to avoid o2?

I typically ferment in a corny and dry hop with a few points left, then transfer to the serving keg. It seems the soft crash might interfere with finishing the fermentation, but I suppose ive never tried it.
Wait til fg and diacetyl is gone then crash.

terminal.

flow a couple psi when I open the keg and keep it flowing for a moment afterward. Then purge a couple times after that. Similar to what pros do though they have a much higher volume to surface area ratio than we do.

Inspired by the YVH Cryo Pop Blend I tried to create a mix of T90 hops high in all of the different survivables. Trying to replicate the original ratio from the Cyro Pop Blend while also maximizing the total amount of hop oils.

I ended up mixing:
50 g Centennial (high in 3MH and methyl geranate. Exclusively in the boil because 3MH requires high heat to get into the solution)
WP:
50 g Loral (high in linalool)
50 g Talus (high in geraniol)
25 g Idaho-7 (high in 2MIB and 2-nonanone)

This was my hot side blend. After the normal soft crash and dry hopping I then added 50 g of Citra Cryo to the serving keg. Citra have high 4MMP concentrations, which increases the effect of the monoterpine alcohol from the hot side blend.

I tell you this beer took off like a rocket. It had the most intense hop aroma and flavor of all my neipas.

I will definitely keep experimenting with hot side blends similar to this together with the Citra Cryo addition in the serving keg. Trying different dry hop combinations to make the batches different.

terminal.

flow a couple psi when I open the keg and keep it flowing for a moment afterward. Then purge a couple times after that. Similar to what pros do though they have a much higher volume to surface area ratio than we do.
Makes sense. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Unfortunately I've got to wait a while. Demo'd my brew room last week to start on some upgrades. I've been wrestling this in my head though.

Inspired by the YVH Cryo Pop Blend I tried to create a mix of T90 hops high in all of the different survivables. Trying to replicate the original ratio from the Cyro Pop Blend while also maximizing the total amount of hop oils.

I ended up mixing:
50 g Centennial (high in 3MH and methyl geranate. Exclusively in the boil because 3MH requires high heat to get into the solution)
WP:
50 g Loral (high in linalool)
50 g Talus (high in geraniol)
25 g Idaho-7 (high in 2MIB and 2-nonanone)

This was my hot side blend. After the normal soft crash and dry hopping I then added 50 g of Citra Cryo to the serving keg. Citra have high 4MMP concentrations, which increases the effect of the monoterpine alcohol from the hot side blend.

I tell you this beer took off like a rocket. It had the most intense hop aroma and flavor of all my neipas.

I will definitely keep experimenting with hot side blends similar to this together with the Citra Cryo addition in the serving keg. Trying different dry hop combinations to make the batches different.

That's funny, I saw some slides on these hops and wanted to give this a shot too. Although it seems like it's a good combination for the dry hop as well as they have a good diversity in terms of hop oils, so my plan is to try them both on the hot and cold side.

Fun note about Loral, one of the dudes from my club won Best of Show for his Loral IPL in a decently sized local comp a couple of years back. I'm curious how it'll hold up in a NEIPA.

1644244079583.png

Last edited:
That's funny, I saw some slides on these hops and wanted to give this a shot too. Although it seems like it's a good combination for the dry hop as well as they have a good diversity in terms of hop oils, so my plan is to try them both on the hot and cold side.

Fun note about Loral, one of the dudes from my club won Best of Show for his Loral IPL in a decently sized local comp a couple of years back. I'm curious how it'll hold up in a NEIPA.

View attachment 758673

I made a Loral IPL a while back, was really good.

View attachment 758673
From which slides are these?

Just tapped my most recent Double NEIPA at 8.6%. I went a little different on this one. It was a no boil ipa where I only raised the wort to 180*f to pasteurize and whirlpool. On the hot side I used a 3 oz blend of my homegrown Columbus, Cascade, and Cashmere whole cone hops with the additions of 2 oz of Ella t90. I then fermented it on 5 lbs of pineapple and Dryhopped it with Sabro and Ella.
17.5% Flaked oats
Mashed 153*f

Whirlpool at 180*f for 30
- 3oz blend of Columbus, Cascade, & Cashmere whole cone
-2oz Ella t90

Dryhop
4 oz Sabro LUPOMAX
4 oz Galaxy t90
32FB775F-D9EB-4061-9358-3D1E4DC66F4F.jpeg

Testing Cryo Pop™ Original Blend tomorrow, I wonder if I should boost the Dry hop even if it's cryo?
Yeast: Hydra Escarpment lab
View attachment 757010
Personally, I'd skip the 60 min Warrior and add more to the WP. 3oz vs 2oz?

I haven't done any 60 min additions for this style in well over 2 years. Plenty of soft bitterness from the WP. Just my 2 cents...

Just tapped my most recent Double NEIPA at 8.6%. I went a little different on this one. It was a no boil ipa where I only raised the wort to 180*f to pasteurize and whirlpool. On the hot side I used a 3 oz blend of my homegrown Columbus, Cascade, and Cashmere whole cone hops with the additions of 2 oz of Ella t90. I then fermented it on 5 lbs of pineapple and Dryhopped it with Sabro and Ella.
17.5% Flaked oats
Mashed 153*f

Whirlpool at 180*f for 30
- 3oz blend of Columbus, Cascade, & Cashmere whole cone
-2oz Ella t90

Dryhop
4 oz Sabro LUPOMAX
4 oz Galaxy t90
View attachment 758790
Looks great man! How is it taste/aroma wise? Do you find that the pineapple added or took away anything?

Haha, I always do, 15gal batches in a conical... and when I first started brewing I sprayed a couple closets, since then I always start with a blow off.
Hi,
I'm curious as to what percent of head space you have during fermentation?
I use a 7.9 gallon fermenter with a 5 gallon bucket. So I have 27% head space available.
Thanks!

Looks great man! How is it taste/aroma wise? Do you find that the pineapple added or took away anything?
Definitely added to it but not as big as a presence as I though it would be in the fermenter.

that said it’s still young and developing, so I’ll make the final call after it’s been inthe keg a few weeks

Back